NEWS Seibold: there's a time for excuses and that time starts now

What he is saying is everyone needs to be realistic. We are the youngest team in the comp, we have some amazing talent but it's going to take time. In the modern game, there as never been a team as young as us to win a comp and there is a good reason for that, it takes time to develop and mature as a football player and a man. Consistancy comes with age, there are not may really young players that are playing consistently good every week, if any at all. I am as passionate about this team as anyone and I want us to win more games than not but with the experience in this team, it is going to take a few years before we are ready to win the comp. I hope they can this year but I wouldn't be putting my money on it.

People on here need to cut the coach and team some slack. Seibold inherited this situation and doubled down by getting rid of the older guys that weren't going to help us win a title to retain the younger talent. Most people in this forum would of lost their minds if we lost these young talents. This also wouldn't of been just Seibold's choice, the board and retention committee would of played a role. I still haven't seen enough of Seibold to know if I think he can take us to the title but Bennett wasn't doing any better with a stronger (more likely to win due to experience) team to deal with.

Last edited:
This is spot on.
No. won't happen. When has Seibold ever criticised a player? Criticizing players is for fans who don't speak public relations. Fans will lay into Seibold. But it will be for speaking shit that is easy to see through.

really no different to how Bennett, makes the high pressure situations all about him, so as to take the pressure of his players ...

just different styles
Couldn't be more different. Did Bennett ever say he was not responsible for the st George premiership draught so lower your expectations?

Seibold: i am not a structured coach.
- No shit. The team looked absolutely clueless last year. In the absence of any structure they had no cohesion and played as individuals.

Seibold: We play to certain principles here. Our principles in attack are around creating momentum, applying pressure and capitalising off the back of that.
- we only really gained momentum from individual breaks (hass and co.). When we got to the attacking zone, we had no idea what to do other than pass it to the big kid. When our forwards were handled or beaten (i.e melbourne with their quick line speed and wrestling) we developed no momentum.

We never applied pressure, with very few consecutive sets and we would give soft penalties.

Seibold:In terms of our weapons, we had the quickest play-the-ball in the NRL (last season) and we broke more tackles than any other team,
- our forwards breaking tackles and getting quick play the balls did not generate momentum or attacking formations as macca would take the opportunity and run out from dummy half and gain 8-10 metres and then get a slow play the ball. Only once did we score a try from this.

I do like that seibold has opened the internal workings of the club up to fans but he is not a marketing manager. We need a coach who can provide success on the field. I understand that he didnt have a full preseason last year but he had them for the season and the team exhibited limited improvement as a team throughout that season.

Last edited:
No. won't happen. When has Seibold ever criticised a player? Criticizing players is for fans who don't speak public relations. Fans will lay into Seibold. But it will be for speaking shit that is easy to see through.

Man, you missed the point by an entire continent there buddy.

Couldn't be more different. Did Bennett ever say he was not responsible for the st George premiership draught so lower your expectations?

he didn't have to ... no one ever blamed him for the Dragons premiership drought

Seibold isnt to blame for us not winning a premiership since 2006, but i dont feel he should have to distance himself from that point either, we know its not on him or the current group. Thing is though as was mentioned earlier, he decided to become the coach of the Brisbane Broncos, so our past successes which made us a powerhouse club and the pressures that go with that come with the job. If he didnt want that, he shouldnt have taken the job. Its a cop out to say " its not our burden ", it is, thats what happens when you play or coach the Broncos. Success is expected and measured against our previous successes. Thats just what happens at elite football clubs.

Personally, i feel so far he has been very underwhelming as our coach, and doesnt take enough responsibility for how poor we were last year. Nothing ever seems to be on him when plenty was. Hopefully, this year will be brighter.

Last edited:
You fucking do have to take on the burden of the Broncos' drought, when you sign with the fucking Broncos. There is an expectation here, and if you're not willing to take that on board, don't fucking sign. Join the ranks of Corey Norman and Josh Hoffman and play for a team with lesser expectations.

No they don't have to carry the failure of the players that came before them. They carry their own failures and fix them, learn from them and move past them. Why should guts like Fifita, Haas, Turpin etc have to carry the burden of the 2015 failure in the grand final for example. Learn from it sure, don't carry the burden of the failure though.

COWBOYS(A), RABBITS(H), TITANS(A), PANTHERS(A), COWBOYS(H), SHARKS(H)

I can live with a 2-4 start for the opening month and a half against the opposition above.
Anything other than that, the coach should have his laundry list of excuses done for the year and they better be good OR its sayonara.

They're not responsible for the drought itself but they are responsible for ending it. So yes, the burden IS on them.

Unless of course they feel like their job isn't to win a premiership? Just become a good team, but not actually win anything. Is that what he's saying? Because anyone playing for the Broncos who thinks "good" is enough can **** right off.

The bloke can't win at this point. I'm looking forward to the day Seibold comes out and lays into Boyd's performance to see how BHQ manages the knee-jerk reaction to suddenly have to defend Darbs.
If he drops him I will fellate Seibold in the parking lot.

Don't like the comment about the premiership drought, but perhaps he is trying to reduce/deflect pressure, which is fair enough (and if Wayne had said it, it would just be classic ol' Wayne and a great strategy) but the rest of the article is really spot on.
And there's not a hint of excuses in it so the thread title is complete joke and should be changed.
McHunt misleading as usual.
Incidentally McHunt, I wonder if you are a special effect artist in the movie industry?
Making things look complete;y different to what they are in reality seems to be a talent of yours.

**** me BHQ is like a bunch of anxiety ridden knee jerk people.

The only thing i don't agree on is the bull riding - poor metaphor.

Everything is fair and true, but they do need to start delivering better results this year and hes 1000000000% right RE physical conditions and body adaptions. We have also still got approx 3Mil of the cap being wasted on players that even this year havnt fired yet (Bird i think will have a cracker year however, so could lower it to 2.2m.)

Active Now

• Dash
  • Fozz
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • Stix
  • something
  • Painin the Haas
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Xzei
  • kiwibronco
  • Waynesaurus
  • Big Del
  • Culhwch
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fitzy
  • Griffo
  • Porthoz
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.