NEWS Seibold: there's a time for excuses and that time starts now

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Badel in the Sunday Mail, gives the floor to Coach Seibold

Seibold:

“I have no control over external opinions and what people expect of the Broncos. But to be fair, myself and the players now here should not have to be burdened with the Broncos not having won the premiership since 2006. David Fifita (Broncos back-rower) was six years old (when the club last won the premiership). Payne Haas was seven. Xavier Coates and Tom Dearden were five. Patty Carrigan was eight years old."

“It’s not our burden. The guys know that."

“I have implemented a framework here to bring success. We have a vastly talented young group and I know where we are going. I feel privileged to be coaching this group and the guys know me a lot better this year and I know them a lot better. I am confident in the roster we have in 2020.”

“I accept there were games that were not acceptable. The final against Parramatta was one of them. But we beat the same team two weeks earlier. Talent doesn’t change in a fortnight. Fitness doesn’t change. So what changes? It’s clearly mental."

“We capitulated in the finals and I take responsibility for that. The NRL is like a bull ride, it really is. Sometimes you hold on for eight seconds and sometimes you get bucked off. We held on for eight seconds in great wins against the Roosters and Cronulla last year. But sometimes we got bucked off and that happened big time against Parramatta.”

“To be honest, I felt we were physically underdeveloped last year. I know our strengths, but the big thing for me is the physical development of our squad. I found the group last year was lacking in some areas. I’m not knocking what happened in the past (under former coach Wayne Bennett), but guys like Kotoni Staggs or Payne Haas have only had one or two pre-seasons."

“Rugby league is a late maturation sport. It takes some time to build physical qualities to become an elite NRL player. We have a lot of young men who are in the zero-to-two-year range of NRL career development. We have had to make some strides in training and much of that related to the youth in our squad.”

“I am not a structured coach. We play to certain principles here. Our principles in attack are around creating momentum, applying pressure and capitalising off the back of that. But I am trying to improve the limiting factors in our game model. There are some areas in our game that we were deficient in last year."

“In terms of our weapons, we had the quickest play-the-ball in the NRL (last season) and we broke more tackles than any other team, but our big focus is how can we win without the footy? Individually, you only have possession for a small amount of time. For example, Payne Haas might have 20 carries in a game for 10 seconds per run. That’s only a few minutes per game that Payne is touching the footy. So it’s what we do without the football that will take us from an average team that finished eighth to a team that gets better."

“Winning without the football is the key, whether we are in transition (from attack to defence and vice-versa), defending or don’t have the ball in attack. What is each player’s job?"

“That’s a big focus for us as a team this year.”

McHunt

Last edited:
Really well written, and I 100% agree.

It's why players like the morris twins, who aren't bigger or faster can still dominate.

They know the game, and have a much higher base line than a player who plays purely on skill at a younger age.

“To be honest, I felt we were physically underdeveloped last year. I know our strengths, but the big thing for me is the physical development of our squad. I found the group last year was lacking in some areas. I’m not knocking what happened in the past (under former coach Wayne Bennett), but guys like Kotoni Staggs or Payne Haas have only had one or two pre-seasons."

Definitely a shot at Wayne Bennett.

I think he's saying that he believes guys like Staggs, Haas and co. should've been doing full pre-seasons with the big boys for a lot longer than the last couple of years.

You fucking do have to take on the burden of the Broncos' drought, when you sign with the fucking Broncos. There is an expectation here, and if you're not willing to take that on board, don't fucking sign. Join the ranks of Corey Norman and Josh Hoffman and play for a team with lesser expectations.

Definitely a shot at Wayne Bennett.

I think he's saying that he believes guys like Staggs, Haas and co. should've been doing full pre-seasons with the big boys for a lot longer than the last couple of years.
I think he's saying they were only children 2 years ago. As if he expected them to be training as full time NRL players when they were still in school.

You fucking do have to take on the burden of the Broncos' drought, when you sign with the fucking Broncos. There is an expectation here, and if you're not willing to take that on board, don't fucking sign. Join the ranks of Corey Norman and Josh Hoffman and play for a team with lesser expectations.
I don't like what he's said there but I'll be honest, I also don't give too much of a ****. Just perform on the field, all the mumbo jumbo is just paper fillers, I'll give a shit if we actually play like a team this year.

We were horse shit bad last year.

Great title. Thats exactly what is going on here. What about the Bulldogs game. Was that mental too?

It does seem like he is still making plenty of excuses before anything has even happened. I get the feeling if he fails as Broncos coach he wont take any responsibility for it.

It does seem like he is still making plenty of excuses before anything has even happened. I get the feeling if he fails as Broncos coach he wont take any responsibility for it.
Yep. Blame the board for not acknowledging the sub 50 per cent win rate is part of the bull riding methodology to tire out the bull and appear weak before massive comeback.

lol yeah. I’m impartial to our coaching decisions atm but stop forcing the bull metaphor.

And that marks the death of the Brisbane broncos of old. He’s basically saying he doesn’t buy into the culture built during the golden years and has buried it. So what exactly are these young players playing for? They have no identity or passion for a once mighty jersey. I just can’t see a premiership for these guys right now.

I don't understand. Is Seibold saying in another way that there shouldn't be the highest expectations for a Broncos team? If the burden of expecting to win premierships weighs too much then where should we lighten the load?

Maybe he is tripping over his own jargon and theories but that seems like a very bad thought to be voicing. As to winning without the ball and the wonderful bucking bull (why not a Bronco?) analogy. These thoughts I could read all day from a coach bringing results and a winning culture..but 2019 results were tripe, and there seems to be something wrong with the culture (Starting with the 2 drugs sackings and what appears to be at least a few very entitled players who don't look to hurt after a loss).

Here's to a great 2020.. nothing a strong start to the season can't fix, mayb Seibs is an excellent leader after all?

And that marks the death of the Brisbane broncos of old. He’s basically saying he doesn’t buy into the culture built during the golden years and has buried it. So what exactly are these young players playing for? They have no identity or passion for a once mighty jersey. I just can’t see a premiership for these guys right now.

he isn't saying that at all ...

all he is trying to do is take some of the pressure of the youngest team in the NRL ...

really no different to how Bennett, makes the high pressure situations all about him, so as to take the pressure of his players ...

just different styles

He is not making excuses, all he is saying is that the players here now are not responsible for the premiership drought. I majority of this team have been there for less than 3 years. The premiership drought has been going for 14 years so the whole concept that the media keep banging on about is ridiculous.

The organisation is involved in a premiership drought, a lot of these players haven’t been in the NRL for long enough for that to be their fault. He has not said the expectation is not their or they don’t care, just you can’t hold them accountable.

Imagine starting a job with a new company that over the last few years had been losing more and more money each year and after your first week you are asked to be accountable for it and explain where the money has gone.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.