Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Anthony Seibold 1400x800

Seibold will march to the beat of his own drum at Broncos

October 31, 2018

Anthony Seibold was among a group of drummers who helped musical acts Queen and Five perform We Will Rock You at the opening of the 2000 Brit Awards but the Dally M coach of the year has never faced as much scrutiny as he will when he takes charge of the Brisbane Broncos.

Seibold was confirmed on Wednesday as just the fourth Broncos coach since the club was founded in 1988 after finalising a four-year deal to succeed Wayne Bennett from 2020, but there are few who doubt he will begin his dream job next season.

It is now up to Brisbane and South Sydney officials to negotiate a swap between Seibold and Bennett, preferably before their players return to training in the coming weeks.

The two main issues are expected to be the difference between Bennett's pay at Brisbane and Seibold's at Souths, along with the futures of their respective coaching staff, who are also under contract for next season.

Both clubs and coaches say they are prepared to wait until 2020 but it will be awkward at best if they don't make the move immediately.

Regardless of when he starts, Seibold has some work to do to win over Brisbane's former players as the likes of Glenn Lazarus, Shane Webcke, Chris Johns and Steve Renouf have been vocal in their criticism of how Bennett has been treated and/or the passing over of Kevin Walters for the job.

Following Bennett in a job has proved such a difficult task the Broncos lured him back in 2015 after he had left the club in 2009 to coach St George Illawarra and then Newcastle.

Bennett, Griffin and Ivan Henjak are the only people to have coached Brisbane, while his anointed successor at the Dragons in 2012, Steve Price, did not see out the full term of his contract before being replaced by Paul McGregor in 2014.

The difference between Seibold and those who have taken on a coaching role after Bennett in the past is that he has been an NRL head coach and did such an impressive job in his first season with the Rabbitohs that Brisbane identified him as their next long-term coach after missing out on Craig Bellamy.

While Souths officials are disappointed by Seibold's decision after giving him his chance as a head coach this season and offering him an extended contract beyond next year, the lure of coaching at the club he began his playing career proved too much.

Seibold never played first grade for the Broncos but he spent four seasons in under 23s and reserve grade from 1992, when the club won their inaugural premiership in 1992, before beginning a journey that took him to France, Canberra, London and Wales.

After playing 14 first grade matches alongside the likes of Laurie Daley, Ricky Stuart and Brad Clyde at the Raiders in 1997 and 1998, he joined the London Broncos, which were owned by Virgin founder Richard Branson.

It was through Branson that Seibold and four of his Broncos team-mates were asked to be drummers at the opening of the 2000 Brit Awards.

He later played for Hull KR before returning to Brisbane to lead their Toowoomba Clydesdales feeder team and got his start in coaching by following John Dixon from the Broncos to the Celtic Crusaders as his assistant at the new Welsh club, which won promotion to Super League in 2009.

In 2010, Seibold was named the RFL coach of the year after his first season in charge of South West Scorpions in Wales and he returned to Australia to continue his apprenticeship under Bellamy at the Storm before joining Trent Barrett at Manly and moving to Souths as an assistant in 2017.

Source: NRL.com

He’s a bit of a Superman isn’t he, has done almost everything in his life.

What do the 4 club legends (who have slated the decision to pick Seibold over Walters) in Johns, Lazarus, Webcke and Renouf have in common???

Oh that’s right, they all PLAYED with Kevvie...

Sentiment is the reason we had to make this decision in the first place, when you have a coach going into his 70’s and is promising a past it Sam Thaiday a guaranteed position in first grade every week, and is guaranteeing Darius would never be dropped when it was clear he was either physically or mentally hampered with his hamstring for over half the season and could have benefited with a couple of weeks in QLD Cup, sentiment needs to be put to the side for the better of the team.

Look I love Kevvie too, he is a club legend and I think he probably does deserve a shot and has a decent CV. But when you are up against Seibold and Madge for the top spot, Kevvie is a clear 3rd. Anyone who thinks otherwise is letting emotional attachment cloud their judgement. Kevvie may still get a chance down the track and maybe the board feels he is too close to the current squad and may hinder his judgment in making the hard and ruthless decisions that probably needed to be made earlier with some of the squad.

I wonder if Kev's chances would have been higher if he didn't quit 2 rounds into the season and helped us finish above the Rabbitohs.

I think if Kevvie didn't get the QLD job then he would already be head coach.

IIRC, the plan was Bennett to mentor Kevvie and once his contract expired, Kevvie would take over.

After that, I don't think it mattered if he stayed on for the rest of the year or not.

I’m really curious what changes to the side Seibold will make. Let’s say the switch did happen for 2019 what side would he pick come round 1? I truely believe he will move Boyd to the centres.

I’m really curious what changes to the side Seibold will make. Let’s say the switch did happen for 2019 what side would he pick come round 1? I truely believe he will move Boyd to the centres.

not when we don't have a fullback to replace him

Cook to 9........................... [emoji18]

I'd argue Boyd is hardly a fullback as it is now. He has always had a good cut out pass etc but that was successful because he was also a threat with the ball. Boyd hardly breaks a tackle or beats a man now so when he gets the ball close to the line the opposition is almost certain he's going to pass, which eliminates its effectiveness. Not to mention how lazy he is in defence now. He will make a tackle and then be out of position for 2 plays. Watch Slater, Tedesco, RTS, (Hell even Moylan when he played fullback) and they make a tackle and are instantly running back to position. Boyd doesn't do that. Isaako actually did that quite well in the few games he played there. Also, while isaako was fullback I believe we didn't concede any tries from grubbers, whilst with Boyd as fullback we concede one or more most games...

...... Also, while isaako was fullback I believe we didn't concede any tries from grubbers, whilst with Boyd as fullback we concede one or more most games...

Yeah Boyd at full back defending in the line in our red zone is a major problem, we were exposed pretty badly this year with those short kicks. He just doesn't have the speed, positioning or desperation in defense to get back and cover them up.

He either has to defend behind the line or defend in the line and we do everything possible to stop the ball from getting in goal and past the defensive line.

Boyd is necessary at full back while we have two runners in the halves (even though Milford’s kicking game is now amongst the best in the comp, he’s still not an organiser). We need Boyd as a 2nd five eighth to help execute plays, which he still excels at. If we can get one of our young halves playing well as a ‘proper half’ then yeah, move Isaako to FB.

I know this is crude, but Boyd is like a Lockyer (obviously not the same caliber) type player whereas Isaako is like RTS or Teddy (he’ll end up better than both if he stays uninjured).

Broncos are back next Thursday, and Seibold did Souths' plan before he went to the UK. I can't see how they can swap and be organised before next week. You would lose too much time planning.

If it was going to happen I could only see it work if you got it done straight after the Finals when plans and reviews are done.

"Regardless of when he starts, Seibold has some work to do to win over Brisbane's former players as the likes of Glenn Lazarus, Shane Webcke, Chris Johns and Steve Renouf have been vocal in their criticism of how Bennett has been treated and/or the passing over of Kevin Walters for the job."

I really had a good laugh at this line - as if the new coach gives 2 shits what 4 former players think

Broncos are back next Thursday, and Seibold did Souths' plan before he went to the UK. I can't see how they can swap and be organised before next week. You would lose too much time planning.

If it was going to happen I could only see it work if you got it done straight after the Finals when plans and reviews are done.
You mean like the Hook/Henjak swap?

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • GCBRONCO
  • RolledOates
  • Financeguy
  • Broncs1459
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.