PLAYER Selwyn Cobbo

Cobbo last night when he got the Battle Medal.

"I am pretty grateful playing any position playing with the jersey on. Wing, centre, fullback-whatever I am I'll do this team proud.
Favourite quote from Cobbo when he got the medal was wishing everyone gets home safe.
He was shocked he got it and thought others deserved it more than he did.
It's hard not to love him.

Funnily, I was mentally preparing a comment in my head about how I’m losing patience with Cobbo’s errors and dumb decisions and how his odd freaky moment is starting to not make up for it, then he goes and scores 2 tries and I put the keyboard down

Funnily, I was mentally preparing a comment in my head about how I’m losing patience with Cobbo’s errors and dumb decisions and how his odd freaky moment is starting to not make up for it, then he goes and scores 2 tries and I put the keyboard down
I think on the Nikorima fumble try he got most players wouldn't have been able to collect that, and he is always there to collect the intercepts.

But at what cost man? You keep Kotoni for the rest of time and keep Willison or Te Kura long term with the lesser one for another year or two contract after 25’ whilst maybe still having a little bit of cash to sploosh on dragging a young half out of another system Pezet, Sanders, Schneider, Sexton, Weaver. Not to mention Mozer will get a couple hundred thousand in potential dollars soon.

Selwyn will want about a million for a shorter term contract at the expense of Staggs and likely somebody else - Te Kura most likely. Usually I’d say that’s fine cause we will lose him eventually anyway but I don’t think there is a way on earth Selwyn doesn’t leave to go play fullback in the next 2, 3 or 4 years. We’d be paying excessive money for potential only for him to **** off once reaching it and costing us immense amount of talent and potentially premierships in the process.

Can you seriously accept that much risk for an overpriced centre that won’t even be in our top 4-5 most important players nor be a focal point of attack.

Arthars had a better year than him last year personally for a 5th of the cost. He recently re-signed without a guaranteed spot for a fraction of what Selwyn is about to ask for. I think Kotoni does some much integral work for our side on and off the ball whilst still being a threat in attack (albeit not how he used to be). Willison is a must keep for the next 4-5 years and Te Kura you’d want to snag another contract out of before he inevitably gets snagged. We all complain about Madden well if we sign Selwyn and we lose all that other talent anyway where would you rather spend your money on, a top shelf half or Selwyn?

Selwyn is not the right dude to spend that sort of money on. He is gonna **** off soon anyway. No way should we even consider moving Walsh to halves so where do we get the value out of re-signing Cobbo on ludicrous money from just so we don’t have to watch him be good elsewhere. He isn’t the right guy to be blowing the cash on at this point.

Selwyn would have to come in at around 900 for a longer term contract to be the right option. Neither of those things I see happening.

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Mariner
4. Staggs
5. Innes/Leota/Trew
6. Mam
7. Madden (/insert alternative)
8. Willison
9. Mozer
10. Haas
11. Riki
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan
14. Walters
15. Hetherington
16. Te Kura (until about 26’,27’)
17. Jensen

With a lot of them locked down long term except Te Kura maybe for another year or two after his deal.

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Mariner
4. Cobbo
5. Innes/Leota/Trew
6. Mam
7. Madden (/insert alternative)
8. Willison (If we are lucky)
9. Mozer (if we are lucky)
10. Haas
11. Riki
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan
14. Walters
15. Hetherington
16. Baker
17. Jensen

We risk losing a lot of talent this way with our depth stocks likely all unaffordable and a few un developed youngsters like Willison and Mozer who would have been in for the long haul then very difficult to hold onto from competitors and Selwyn very likely to **** off in 2-3 years time anyway. You risk all that talent for a bloke who hasn’t reached anywhere near the heights of what he will be asking for and is so clearly going to leave anyway.

Selwyn would have to be performing at that million dollar mark consistently, signing 900-950k on a long term deal to risk losing that other talent. It’s very possible he is immensely talented but in 18 odd games plus finals (not guaranteed how many games) do I think he will be at that level and if he did get to that level do I think he would be taking a long term deal and taking anywhere near less than a million.

You just have to put it into some context and ask yourself is this worth losing all that other talent to keep for another 2-3 years where he likely won’t reach his peak.

We can set ourselves up for a decade if we cut him loose we risk everything for 2-3 years for him to obviously leave us if we keep him. I just cannot see how we could or should keep him without affecting other areas of our side.

I’m reserving my final decision for now but at the minute he is the one that has to prove he is worth keeping not Kotoni imo. I can see Xavier and Te Kura proving themselves instrumental parts to our team this year. Selwyn has to prove he is a million dollar player and then take a haircut and then take a long term deal and make all these decisions long before November 1st so that we don’t risk losing everybody.
I'm fine losing Staggs to keep Cobbo, Staggs is good though and is a good team player and it will probably hurt us for a season while Mariner develops his game but Cobbo's ceiling is much higher.

I think if we are going to keep our promising middles and Mozer, our Outside backs and likely edge players will have to be kept reasonably cheap and have to replace if they get too expensive to make up for it, keep one expensive Centre and the rest of the outside backs and edge on the low end, as it stands right now, our edge forwards are not really used in attack as much as they tend to not be making the meters of the middles or the outside backs but are doing plenty of defence.

Players like Riki and Arthars will be the ones we can keep long term I think and actively improve our squad without making us lose other players with high wages.

I'm fine losing Staggs to keep Cobbo, Staggs is good though and is a good team player and it will probably hurt us for a season while Mariner develops his game but Cobbo's ceiling is much higher.

I think if we are going to keep our promising middles and Mozer, our Outside backs and likely edge players will have to be kept reasonably cheap and have to replace if they get too expensive to make up for it, keep one expensive Centre and the rest of the outside backs and edge on the low end, as it stands right now, our edge forwards are not really used in attack as much as they tend to not be making the meters of the middles or the outside backs but are doing plenty of defence.

Players like Riki and Arthars will be the ones we can keep long term I think and actively improve our squad without making us lose other players with high wages.
I'd be surprised if Staggs wasn't forced to take a significant haircut on his going rate. He was going great guns when he signed his contract, lot of potential, potent runner and fend. He's one player who hasn't managed to maintain that intensity and channel it into winning performances too often. He's struggled with injury, off-field issues, probably won't pull on an origin jersey again any time soon unless there's a big injury toll. Defensively he's been awesome - but offensively, it's like one game in three or four he's "on".

He'll have a game like he did against the phins with lots of aggression and a heap of hard carries - then he'll just go missing for a couple of weeks.

I'd be surprised if Staggs wasn't forced to take a significant haircut on his going rate. He was going great guns when he signed his contract, lot of potential, potent runner and fend. He's one player who hasn't managed to maintain that intensity and channel it into winning performances too often. He's struggled with injury, off-field issues, probably won't pull on an origin jersey again any time soon unless there's a big injury toll. Defensively he's been awesome - but offensively, it's like one game in three or four he's "on".

He'll have a game like he did against the phins with lots of aggression and a heap of hard carries - then he'll just go missing for a couple of weeks.
I think Staggs has been playing good tbh, not as explosive as a couple of years ago but he hasn't missed many games lately and sets up alot of team mates in plays too, I think he would only be behind a few players at most for an Origin spot too tbh, I mean let's not forget he played for the Roos at the end of last year.

Like for NSW right I could see Crichton and Turbo maybe ahead of him at right centre, but Crichton is playing for Dogs so it will be hard for him to show too much and Turbo looks a shell of what he was, If madge goes for players playing in their ideal position rather than bringing in alot of fullbacks he would be very close to being picked atm.

I think Staggs has been playing good tbh, not as explosive as a couple of years ago but he hasn't missed many games lately and sets up alot of team mates in plays too, I think he would only be behind a few players at most for an Origin spot too tbh, I mean let's not forget he played for the Roos at the end of last year.

Like for NSW right I could see Crichton and Turbo maybe ahead of him at right centre, but Crichton is playing for Dogs so it will be hard for him to show too much and Turbo looks a shell of what he was, If madge goes for players playing in their ideal position rather than bringing in alot of fullbacks he would be very close to being picked atm.
If I was a nsw selector I’d be looking at picking him on the bench. He can cover 2rf (his work rate this season has been unreal. He’s even been taking quality hit ups off the kick off) and the backs and could probably do a job in the middle as that live wire option.

They’ll probably lose the plot and either pick 4 props on the bench or like nicho + a reserve hooker, though

Yep, the Arthars, Jensen, Riki, even Billy and Smoothy bit part players are going to be critical. Kev and his team will need to keep nailing those value for money finds to balance the superstars.

On a related note, I recently saw that Zero Tackle has Riki down as $350k per year. I’m not completely sold on Riki but if that salary is true then he is amazing value for money.

Yep, the Arthars, Jensen, Riki, even Billy and Smoothy bit part players are going to be critical. Kev and his team will need to keep nailing those value for money finds to balance the superstars.

On a related note, I recently saw that Zero Tackle has Riki down as $350k per year. I’m not completely sold on Riki but if that salary is true then he is amazing value for money.
The way the game is if they are a dangerous player in attack they are expensive, but if they are a really good defender no one cares, it's about getting someone who has the defence with as much attack as possible while still being cheap, in the positions that are the most replaceable.

as it stands right now, our edge forwards are not really used in attack as much as they tend to not be making the meters of the middles or the outside backs but are doing plenty of defence.

Piakura is not in the team . When he returns I can see him being used as a weapon on the edge .
Riki runs on his tip toes as he approaches the defence . Why ? I don`t know he`s not gonna break or bend the line running like that . Although he has stepped up the past couple of games with his involvement .

Riki runs on his tip toes as he approaches the defence . Why ? I don`t know he`s not gonna break or bend the line running like that . Although he has stepped up the past couple of games with his involvement .
It's probably a case of run first think later. Just get to the line as fast as possible, rather than thinking about how you're going to engage the line. Balance/gait are all out etc. Probably just pure enthusiasm more than anything else, which is Riki to a T.

It's probably a case of run first think later. Just get to the line as fast as possible, rather than thinking about how you're going to engage the line. Balance/gait are all out etc. Probably just pure enthusiasm more than anything else, which is Riki to a T.

Happy Gangnam Style GIF

Unread

Active Now

• davidp
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • broncotville
  • Skyblues87
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • sooticus
  • MrMoore
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.