PLAYER Selwyn Cobbo

He's got the dumb mistake in him but if it wasn't for Nichols knocking the ball out, he probably would've scored one of the tries of the season.

Yes, it would've been safer to cut in and pass but sometimes you've gotta let them take their shot. In the heat of the moment I would've called it dumb but it's good he's willing to give it a crack.
Same deal with Walsh and his rush-of-blood actions in attack (Mam too). More experienced and better player sure, but they're mistakes that'll happen with talented kids. The experience will come from that.

What makes it a problem that people think it's worth creating threads over is when multiple players do it in the one game and we end up risking games

As I've said in another thread, in an ideal world, Cobbo would've had at least another season in QCup to refine his skills. Walsh may have been even better if he didn't sook off to the Warriors for a couple of years. Love having him back of course and he's been brilliant, but some of the things he does still shows Kevvie wasn't completely wrong saying he needed some more time in the oven

Riki was about 5 metres behind Cobbo just dawdling along and he was covered.

Maybe Riki passes to Walsh and they end up scoring, but Cobbo had just as much of a chance at scoring by going himself.

He backed himself, it didn't work out. It happens. You can't always be perfect. That's just not realistic.

20 year olds are not kids. He shouldn’t be dropped, but he needs to improve his attitude massively. You don’t buy it, that’s fine. The bloke literally admitted he didn’t think the coach was very good. Sounds super coachable to me.

How many coaches do you think are involved with Selwyn at the Broncos ? One ?
Pretty sure there are at least a half dozen . Gym coach , wrestle coach , attack coach , full back coach , defence coach and Kevvie .

Selwyn is young and in his first proper season of NRL. Last year he went from an unknown to an origin player really really quickly. This year he has to deal with being a known quality, and he has changed his body. I expected a bit of a dip in form, but realistically… it hasn’t been that bad at all. Also, the added media pressure of a pretty awful & public mistake would be hard for a shy guy.

I think he’ll be fine. You don’t get to this level, let alone thrive at this level, if you’re completely uncoachable.

Selwyn is young and in his first proper season of NRL. Last year he went from an unknown to an origin player really really quickly. This year he has to deal with being a known quality, and he has changed his body. I expected a bit of a dip in form, but realistically… it hasn’t been that bad at all. Also, the added media pressure of a pretty awful & public mistake would be hard for a shy guy.

I think he’ll be fine. You don’t get to this level, let alone thrive at this level, if you’re completely uncoachable.
That’s not true at all. Plenty of uncoachable, talented, bigger and faster than the other juniors make it to this level and get found out very quickly. Unless there’s a change of attitude he’s going to get found out very quickly too

And if my grandmother had wheels she’d be a bicycle
I Didnt Do It Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

That’s not true at all. Plenty of uncoachable, talented, bigger and faster than the other juniors make it to this level and get found out very quickly. Unless there’s a change of attitude he’s going to get found out very quickly too

I think your argument is getting found out pretty quickly . LOL .

I think your argument is getting found out pretty quickly . LOL .

He's 1.01 to get a hatty against Wests, it's the trend lately.

These threads pop up and the player in question has a blinder and then the thread turns into a graveyard.

He's 1.01 to get a hatty against Wests, it's the trend lately.

These threads pop up and the player in question has a blinder and then the thread turns into a graveyard.
When else has that occurred to make it a trend lately?

I guess the issue you are running into here is that outside of the one instance of letting the ball bounce - something that every fullback or winger is guilty of at some point - his attitude on the field has been really good, as lots of posters have noted regarding metres made and the types of runs he is taking, and his general behavior.

There's a broader argument about the podcast comments, which some seem to think are unforgivable and others are willing to chalk up as equal parts inexperience and immaturity. The fact that the team as a whole seems to have made it into something of a meme - most recently Patty was joking about the younger guys being on a media ban on the Matty Johns show - would point to it having been dealt with internally with no greater greater lasting repercussions or issues amongst the coaches or playing group.

I have no concerns about the time off at the end of last year, and I do believe (although I will admit to no internal knowledge whatsoever) that there were mental health issues at play then, either as a result of the Origin concussion, burn out from a long debut season of first grade, or a combination of both. Mental health is no joke, and if it was the club's decision to allow Selwyn to stand down and support him through that, them I applaud them.

It seems your argument is based largely on third party knowledge the rest of us aren't privy to, which is fine and certainly your prerogative. Time will tell one way or another. I love having Selwyn in the team - he seems a good young kid happy to be playing footy for a living, and he does some freakish shit on his day that is a total joy to watch. I'll be in his corner as he moves forward, and I genuinely hope you are wrong - not for the sake of being able to say 'I told you so' on an inconsequential forum rife with inconsequential opinions, but for Selwyn's sake.

Yes, he bombed a try. He did all the hard work - really really well - and not many others in the comp could have fended off the defenders coming across to give himself to space to work in. That part was pure brilliance.

But if you're going to hurdle over defenders on the ground to attempt to score, you have to expect interference from them. He didn't, and lost the ball as a result - bombed try.

I expect he will learn from that. I'm not out here crucifying him. He is young and still has a lot to learn. He does an awful lot of good, his tough runs are really important and I love that he keeps getting involved.

You gotta ask yourself how many more times this is going to happen in the next decade to ANYONE, let alone to Cobbo hiimself.

:happy:

Little bit of FOMO here - what if everyone REALLY needs to hear my opinion?? :rofl

But seriously. Cobbo doesn't look as happy or as excited as he was early on. Don't know if it's the head knock, a little bit of Jamie Lyon "miss the bush", or something else, but i think he'd doing a perfectly acceptable job.

I just hope he's OK, and gets that smile back. A year ago he was the Face of League, nearly. Now, he seems nearly sad sometimes, and that wouldn't be cool.

That missed bomb? Every been a shy teenager and realized something bad was about to happen, and half the school was watching? Multiplied by 1000? I wouldn't be surprised to find out he made the calculation that he wasn't going to get there, and anxiety took him for a second.

I hope he doesn't read these pages. Probably won't do his head space any good.

It is unusual though, for BHQ to name the scapegoat while we're on an unexpected, undefeated winning streak. Usually people wait until we've lost a few games
I’m keeping my powder dry on you know who.

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Foordy
  • Mustafur
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Matheos
  • Bish
  • bb_gun
  • Culhwch
  • BruiserMk1
  • Organix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • Galah
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Strop
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.