Should the Broncos make a play for Ponga

We desperately need a halfback that knows how to guide the team around the field. If there is to be any major purchases, buy a fucking halfback for **** sakes. Havent really had a proper half that can take control since Lockyer retired which is pathetic recruitment from the club all round.
Aiden Sezer has been told to look around.
He's not elite but a crap load better than what we have ATM and won't break the bank.
Certainly let's Milf move back to 6 and if Holmes becomes available we have a crack at him.
1 Holmes
6 Milf
7 Sezer

Last edited:
He's not elite but a crap load better than what we have ATM and won't break the bank.
Certainly let's Milf move back to 6 and if Holmes becomes available we have a crack at him.
1 Holmes
6 Milf
7 Sezer

9 McCullough is where it falls over a bit

1 Holmes
6 Milf
7 Sezer
I suggested sezer in another thread. Likely cheap pick up, NRL experience, left footer with good kicking game. At the titans he was performing really well before being poached so there is potential.

1 Holmes
6 Milf
7 Sezer
And if we don’t land Holmes we get the joy of Boyd or Isaako there.

If we need to sign someone it's a Half not a Fullback, I'm happy to leave Milford there.

Yes, absolutely. This side near an out and out star, he is one and will be one of the absolute best in a year or two.

Every elite side has an absolute gun (or two) in their spine:

Roosters - Keary, Tedesco, Cronk, Friend
Storm - Smith, Munster
Rabbits - Walker, Cook, Reynolds
Sea Eagles - DCE, TTurbo
Raiders - Hodgson

These are the sides that can win it this year. Who do the Broncos have? Milford?
So you think we should only keep Milford at half his price, but Ponga is worth 1.5 Mill?

I suggested sezer in another thread. Likely cheap pick up, NRL experience, left footer with good kicking game. At the titans he was performing really well before being poached so there is potential.

He is also an elite level goal kicker. 2017/18 stats don't mean a whole lot since he's only a backup kicker so wouldn't be practicing often.

I've always rated him and think he could be an awesome pickup. He's underrated so wouldn't break the bank and is a stable half with an excellent kicking game and also gives us a top tier goal kicker to boot.

I never understood the fuss around Ponga. To me - he's been totally hyped up by Newcastle club & it's past players who are in the media. He's a good player but nothing inhuman about him. Someone by the name Nicoll Klokstad is absolutely killing it at Canberra for far less money than Ponga in his 1st season at fullback and he's destined to be better going into future.

I reckon Ponga's been so much hyped up that for any club to snare him at that asking price is a self destruction. In the end, it($1.5M asking price) all comes back to bite him and NO, we don't need him. We've so many options in-house that we can try on. Milford's certainly the one & we have Isaako & Jessie Arthars coming in next year. If not to nurture, develop and commit them to our club, why else we've so many outside back options next year?

All we need is a level headed half who can control our game and guide Tommy, Paix &/ SOS for a year or 2. We're all set.

you can do a lot worse than Sezer...he is really turning his career around and im not quite sure if this upturn in performance is related to these stories that he has been asked to seek pastures anew..??

Nonetheless we would be silly not to ask the question; i feel he could do a job with us..?

and in a real problem area for us too...

I never understood the fuss around Ponga. To me - he's been totally hyped up by Newcastle club & it's past players who are in the media. He's a good player but nothing inhuman about him. Someone by the name Nicoll Klokstad is absolutely killing it at Canberra for far less money than Ponga in his 1st season at fullback and he's destined to be better going into future.

I reckon Ponga's been so much hyped up that for any club to snare him at that asking price is a self destruction. In the end, it($1.5M asking price) all comes back to bite him and NO, we don't need him. We've so many options in-house that we can try on. Milford's certainly the one & we have Isaako & Jessie Arthars coming in next year. If not to nurture, develop and commit them to our club, why else we've so many outside back options next year?

All we need is a level headed half who can control our game and guide Tommy, Paix &/ SOS for a year or 2. We're all set.

Ponga is many things, but over-hyped is not one of them. The kid is a genuine, out and out superstar. He does things that other players can’t do, and never have been able to do. He’s only just scratching the surface as to how good he can become.

Personally i would prefer two 750k quality players. 1.5 mil in one player is just a cap killer. What is the point of having a gun player if you cannot field a decent team around them.

Ponga is many things, but over-hyped is not one of them. The kid is a genuine, out and out superstar. He does things that other players can’t do, and never have been able to do. He’s only just scratching the surface as to how good he can become.

Agree, people who think he's overrated simply don't watch enough football. Even if you completely remove the sheer individual brilliance he produces every single game, he's statistically in the top 4 fullbacks in the game at the age of 21. Fullbacks generally speaking don't hit their peak until 26-27.

Ted (26) - 16 games, 12 tries, 18 line-breaks, 113 tackle busts, 9 try assists, 11 line-break assists
RTS (26) - 18 games, 5 tries, 15 line-breaks, 104 tackle busts, 11 try assists, 13 line-break assists
Turbo (22) - 8 games, 5 tries, 13 line-breaks, 49 tackle busts, 7 try assists, 9 line-break assists
Ponga (21) - 15 games, 9 tries, 17 line-breaks, 78 tackle busts, 9 try assists, 10 line-break assists

If you ever have a chance to get one of these 4 guys, you take it.

Agree, people who think he's overrated simply don't watch enough football. Even if you completely remove the sheer individual brilliance he produces every single game, he's statistically in the top 4 fullbacks in the game at the age of 21. Fullbacks generally speaking don't hit their peak until 26-27.

Ted (26) - 16 games, 12 tries, 18 line-breaks, 113 tackle busts, 9 try assists, 11 line-break assists
RTS (26) - 18 games, 5 tries, 15 line-breaks, 104 tackle busts, 11 try assists, 13 line-break assists
Turbo (22) - 8 games, 5 tries, 13 line-breaks, 49 tackle busts, 7 try assists, 9 line-break assists
Ponga (21) - 15 games, 9 tries, 17 line-breaks, 78 tackle busts, 9 try assists, 10 line-break assists

If you ever have a chance to get one of these 4 guys, you take it.
Exactly right... at present the only deficiency I see in his game is susceptibility under contested bombs as he's dropped a few when he leave the ground.

He's already shown on the sweep that he can setup his outside men (short or long passing) or go himself. He can bust them through the middle from regular sets or off a kick return against staggered lines.

The only thing he hasn't really shown yet is a short kicking game, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have one.

If you have a guy that can bring 3-4 different options attacking the line (pass short, pass long, run himself or kick in behind) he is a serious threat to defences. Karmichael had all 4 options although his passing at times was suspect. Billy has 2-3 options run or pass... his kicking was pretty ineffictive and his passing wasn't top shelf (especially long).

Teddy and RTS have limited passing and kicking... and Turbo is probably next best but I'm not sure if I've seen much of his long passing game.

If Ponga becomes a rock under the high ball then he pretty well has every base covered that you could ask for in a fullback.

The only fullback I've seen that consistently had all of those bases covered was Lockyer.

Last edited:
Can't help but feel that a good portion of the disregard for Ponga as a genuinely special talent stems solely from the fact we never picked him up as a kid, that he doesn't actually play for us, and that in all likelihood he maybe never will.

Honestly, if he was doing the things he does currently for the Knights in a Broncos jersey instead he'd just about have the keys to the city of Brisbane by now.

I'm not sure I'd stump up the $1.5 million for him (or any one single player at all for that matter) but in the conversation about who most justifies a sky high salary, both from a footballing and commercially lucrative perspective, Ponga would be as worthy a candidate as just about any other in the game right now.

Last edited:
Ponga has all of the qualities to be a dominant no.6 aswell. I think he would develop into a better 6 than Milford ever could be.

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Porthoz
  • Mick_Hancock
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.