Should the Broncos renew Hunt's contract

Should the Broncos release Ben Hunt?

• Total voters
Gus just compared Hunt to a 3 bedroom brick veneer home in Caringbah. :biggrin:

Exactly if we lose hunt all we have is Kniko and he is no organiser. So who else then??

Massoud confirmed the dragons were looking at hunt, yet he speculated the price tag..
"It would take about a million dollars to lure him away from the Broncos and the dragons have that sort of money on their cap space" he never confirms they've offered that much, or even formally offered anything at all!
I also question if he has a double confirmed source or he's talked with one person at the club or even hunts agent himself (trying to drive his price up). Probably just filmed it at Cogra to add legitimacy to his story - didn't even go inside
Media hype all over it.

Gus today:

I don't think a three bedroom, brick veneer home in Caringbah is worth a million dollars. But if you really want one. That's the price you pay.

We can't let hunt go if we lose him and don't get Taylor we need to use Niko and his no organiser. Who else is there in the next 2 years.

I'm happy to keep Hunt for a year or two more if he's happy taking a lot less than that, his relative value to the Broncos is probably closer to $500-600k a season. If he demands we match the Dragons offer we should definitely give him the "We wish Ben the best of luck in his future endeavours" treatment.
I'm convinced this is why we have Benji. THey won't play Hunt if he signs for someone else unless we top of the table and looking good for a premiership.

According to Zero Tackle, following are off contract 2018:

Halfback

Jack Cogger, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Cullen, Dylan Edwards, Jamal Fogarty, Jackson Hastings, Trent Hodkinson, Luke Keary, Soni Luke, Michael Morgan, Jayden Nikorima, Aidan Sezer, Ashley Taylor, Connor Tracey, Peter Wallace

5/8th

Blake Austin, Josh Cleeland, Kane Elgey, Blake Green, Brock Lamb, Lachlan Lewis, Tuimoala Lolohea, James Maloney, Te Maire Martin, Tyrone May, Jarrod Mullen, Kodi Nikorima, Curtis Sironen, Connor Watson, Tom Wright

Sketchy list for the most part aside from Cronk or Maloney. Some young dynamic players like TMM, etc, but very few fit the classic half back mould.

Kane Elgey might be worth a look as I think he's got a relatively well rounded game and still young.

Apparently Ash Taylor is available 2018, but I'm not so sure as to how accurate the list is.

Thinking outside the box, there's always Peter Wallace....
From the list i'd take Sezer, Taylor, potentially blake green and Elgey. Brock Lamb has some decent wraps on him but i don't know how he will pan out or how good he actually is, but time could tell. Cronk would likely be retiring and Maloney would be getting on too.

Aren't we looking for a premiership every year?

That's a pretty common misconception, it's actually completely unsustainable to compete for premierships every season over a long period of time. The only exception is the Storm because they somehow managed to blood arguably the 3 best players in their respective positions at the same time and managed to keep them all for their whole careers.

There's nothing wrong with having a down year or two to try and develop or sign the players we need to genuinely compete for another premiership. I'd rather be a team who is below average for 2 seasons and then a title contender for 5 years than a team that is finishing 6th-8th for 7 years straight.

If we lose Hunt and release him early, that makes 2017 a development season, we won't be competing for a title.

The only major downside to having a year or two of development and market hunting is that we would be wasting the peak years of players like Boyd, Gillett & McGuire.

Massoud confirmed the dragons were looking at hunt, yet he speculated the price tag..
"It would take about a million dollars to lure him away from the Broncos and the dragons have that sort of money on their cap space" he never confirms they've offered that much, or even formally offered anything at all!
I also question if he has a double confirmed source or he's talked with one person at the club or even hunts agent himself (trying to drive his price up). Probably just filmed it at Cogra to add legitimacy to his story - didn't even go inside
Media hype all over it.

He got this from the Lurker today... It's circle jerk action...

Check the Lurker's feed...

That's a pretty common misconception, it's actually completely unsustainable to compete for premierships every season over a long period of time. The only exception is the Storm because they somehow managed to blood arguably the 3 best players in their respective positions at the same time and managed to keep them all for their whole careers.

There's nothing wrong with having a down year or two to try and develop or sign the players we need to genuinely compete for another premiership. I'd rather be a team who is below average for 2 seasons and then a title contender for 5 years than a team that is finishing 6th-8th for 7 years straight.

If we lose Hunt and release him early, that makes 2017 a development season, we won't be competing for a title.

The only major downside to having a year or two of development and market hunting is that we would be wasting the peak years of players like Boyd, Gillett & McGuire.

The thing we need most is a prop.

I'd rather release McGuire and Gillett to get a prop rather than Hunt to get a halfback who we can develop (only for someone else to pinch).

Ps pretty sure Milford doesn't want to partner a work experience kid.

The thing we need most is a prop.

I'd rather release McGuire and Gillett to get a prop rather than Hunt to get a halfback who we can develop (only for someone else to pinch).

Ps pretty sure Milford doesn't want to partner a work experience kid.

In the scenario we're discussing, he wouldn't be. He'd be partnering Benji Marshall this season and either a good young player that we've signed in 2018 (Taylor, Elgey, someone along those lines) or another 1 year stop-gap option until we find the correct player to make another premiership charge with.

We shouldn't settle for some below average Halfback in 2018 "just because", if the Halfback we need isn't on the market, buy a 1 year stop-gap, reset, try again next year.

Milford has a chance to be a once in a generation player, locking in a partner next to him that he doesn't gel with through his mid 20's would be one of the biggest mistakes the club could ever make. Patience my friends.

FIRST on @7NewsQueensland - Penrith Panthers pursuing BEN HUNT with Anthony Griffin wanting him back. Penrith more likely than dragons.

From Chris Garry.

This would make a lot more sense for all in involved, Hunt would have a nice partnership with Cleary, he can play his natural running game whilst Cleary takes control of the bulk of the playmaking duties.

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Bucking Beads
  • Galah
  • Bish
  • Organix
  • Xzei
  • marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.