Should the Broncos release Ben Hunt?

• Total voters
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
No much i hope
Our offers would have to be a minimum $700k for Hunt and over $1 million for Milford.

And those figures will be a fair bit lower than they will be offered to leave us.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Alfie Langer reckons Hunt is a key factor in our future success. And he hopes Hunt rejects a big offer from the Dragons to stay loyal to the Broncos

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
The Dragons would almost certainly ruin his career with that useless coach.

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
I'm hoping the Broncos offer about 500k max for hunt based on his current form and age. I wouldn't be throwing the bank at him. Would much rather ensure we are able to retain Milford, Boyd and Macca.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I'm hoping the Broncos offer about 500k max for hunt based on his current form and age. I wouldn't be throwing the bank at him. Would much rather ensure we are able to retain Milford, Boyd and Macca.
Then it's lucky you're not in charge of recruitment... because these days 500k will only get you an average half or rookie half. You won't get quality for that, especially if the cap rises to 10 million +

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Then it's lucky you're not in charge of recruitment... because these days 500k will only get you an average half or rookie half. You won't get quality for that, especially if the cap rises to 10 million +
So, $500K is right. :takdir:

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
if 1.2 mil gets you a Daly Cherry Evans then 700-800k is a damn good price for Ben Hunt.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Bahaha, not even you believe that. :wink:
Actually I do. IMO, in the current climate Hunt is worth around $700k - $750k a season. Let me qualify that.

I believe that there are only 2 complete halfbacks in the league. Thurston and Cronk. Both are worth 1.5 million a season, easily.

Then you have the next level down which includes halfback that are quality and strong in most areas of a halfs play, but have some weaknesses in their game that need some improvement . This group includes: Hunt, DCE AND Johnson. I think these guys are worth around the 700k mark.

Your boy Taylor belongs to another group. Players with potential that look like they will be superstars one day given the right environment. Worth about 350k to 400k.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Foxsports.com.au has just reported that Ben Hunt and Milford are being offered new 3 year deals. This will see both halves stay at the club till the end of 2020!

daily-afternoon-randomness-49-photos-16.gif

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Prices are going up for players with the salary cap increasing. I have no problem paying Hunt 750-800k because he has earned it. He has really stepped up when at a time we were in a real mess especially in the halves (2014 in the first instance). He showed a huge show of faith in not going to Newcastle (with Bennett) and resigning with the club and its time we reward that loyalty. Scrapping him for some rookie half is only going to make our side take 10 steps backwards. I highly doubt Milford could have partnered with Hoffman and managed to make the team credible.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Actually I do. IMO, in the current climate Hunt is worth around $700k - $750k a season. Let me qualify that.

I believe that there are only 2 complete halfbacks in the league. Thurston and Cronk. Both are worth 1.5 million a season, easily.

Then you have the next level down which includes halfback that are quality and strong in most areas of a halfs play, but have some weaknesses in their game that need some improvement . This group includes: Hunt, DCE AND Johnson. I think these guys are worth around the 700k mark.

Your boy Taylor belongs to another group. Players with potential that look like they will be superstars one day given the right environment. Worth about 350k to 400k.
It all comes down to what you consider the most important attributes in a halfback. Yours are clearly different from mine!

Hunt doesn't make my top 8 in the NRL as a halfback, but he makes the top 3 as a 5/8, with Milford and Maloney ahead of him, and probably on equal footing with Morgan.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Hunt deserves another deal, but not because of the choices he made in 2013.

Fans over-value sentimentality, sometimes they fall in love with a player even when that player will never deliver them a premiership. As selfish as it is, Rugby League is one of those 'what have you done for me lately' codes, club loyalty doesn't really play that much of a factor, not unless you want to become an also-ran.

N

_noosh

NYC Player
Oct 3, 2016
Hunt deserves another deal, but not because of the choices he made in 2013.

Fans over-value sentimentality, sometimes they fall in love with a player even when that player will never deliver them a premiership. As selfish as it is, Rugby League is one of those 'what have you done for me lately' codes, club loyalty doesn't really play that much of a factor, not unless you want to become an also-ran.

I agree with what you've said, but I think you're forgetting a valid counter-argument here.

There is some concern that if you poach some better halfback to replace Hunt, they could as easily be poached away by other clubs before we get the most out of the assembled squad. That would take us two steps backwards, and a few years lost.

Now, I'm not suggesting Hunt may not get enticed away by some other club in the future, especially if he starts firing and is worth more. But I think some of us are more confident that Hunt may stick around more considering he has done so in the past, admittedly under different circumstances.

I'm also not saying we shouldn't consider poaching someone, but I do think potential future loyalty does factor into the decision - even if it's just a little. Anyone we poach to replace Hunt should be more than a just little better than him imo. And quite simply, none of our other options, both at the broncos and off-contract outsiders, come close to meeting that requirement right now.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Agreed, the only concern with Hunt is that it's all downhill from here and he never regains the form he displayed in 2015. If he continues to regress, then the club would be better off pivoting, using that money to help build the team around Milford and improving the grunt or strike of the team (pending on how this season pans out).

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
It all comes down to what you consider the most important attributes in a halfback. Yours are clearly different from mine!

Hunt doesn't make my top 8 in the NRL as a halfback, but he makes the top 3 as a 5/8, with Milford and Maloney ahead of him, and probably on equal footing with Morgan.

I have to know ... who are the 8 halfbacks you think are better than Hunt.

I think the main difference between our opinions on halfbacks is that (and correct me if i'm wrong) you think that having a superior kicking game makes a halfback better than another, even if said player isn't as good as that player in all other aspects.

FTR, I have Hunt in the top 5

I have Thurston and Cronk as the top 2 and then I can't split Hunt, Johnson and DCE. (when these three are in top form)

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Morkel
  • Santa
  • Midean
  • broncsgoat
  • GCBRONCO
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.