Shoulder charge rule

I thought the the Ennis tackle should have been let go, the picture clearly shows his arm away from the body when his shoulder makes contact, if that's the rule then that tackle was fine.

The Wighton tackle being exonerated IMO was just a joke and the game just handed itself over to the media that little bit more last night.

Paul Kent, who is one of Rickys' good mates, lead a campaign right from the weekend to get him off. On 360 he kept showing a ridiculous still frame showing first contact with Wightons elbow onto the attacking players elbow. Well what a bunch of irrelevant bullshit. The next frame had he showed it was Wightons arm tucked against his body and full contact with the shoulder. The argument that he was just bracing for contact is also irrelevant because he had a choice of making a low tackle, he simply chose not to.

The media, through Kent, drove this decision as they have with some other changes ( 2 refs). This is just another demonstration of how much the media control agendas and they have the NRL second guessing everything they do.

The inmates are running the asylum.

The argument for bracing is bullshit because the tigers player was actually trying to get around him. Wighton initiated the contact.

All arguments bar the other player falling into a high contact should be disregarded. The reality is you put on a poor shot, take a seat, work on your technique, get the grub out of your game.

I also should add - common sense should prevail - but I don't think it is as common as I once did.

Last edited:
I actually hope the Raiders lose now, will make it sooooo much sweeter that they can't blame it on Wighton not being there.

I kind of want them to win with Wighton scoring a hat trick just to see the blow up from Gallen. On the other hand though, the elation on Ricky's face when they win would be tough to watch......

I kind of want them to win with Wighton scoring a hat trick just to see the blow up from Gallen. On the other hand though, the elation on Ricky's face when they win would be tough to watch......
As long as we knock them out in the prelim it will be worth it.

Let's be honest, if the NRL is about player welfare, and banning shoulder charges - then both of these plays were stock standard shoulder charges, no doubt about it.

If the rule says they were not, then the rule itself is wrong

It's as simple as the player made contact with the shoulder with no attempt to wrap the arms around and tackle

Shoulder charge

Let's be honest, if the NRL is about player welfare, and banning shoulder charges - then both of these plays were stock standard shoulder charges, no doubt about it.

If the rule says they were not, then the rule itself is wrong

It's as simple as the player made contact with the shoulder with no attempt to wrap the arms around and tackle

Shoulder charge

Of course, but common sense and the NRL NEVER go hand-in-hand.

I just wish Buettner was honest.

There isn't three boxes, there's four.

Upper Arm Tucked Into The Side
No Wrapping Of The Arms
Forceful Contact
Did The Contact Cause Injury

At least, I'm sure that's what Souths were told after GI copped three weeks for his hit on Dugan.

They need to simplify this rule stuff the 4 boxes etc. how i would write the shoulder charge rule is as follows.

"A shoulder charge is defined as a player leading with his shoulder and making no attempt to use his arms when making the tackle"

They need to simplify this rule stuff the 4 boxes etc. how i would write the shoulder charge rule is as follows.

"A shoulder charge is defined as a player leading with his shoulder and making no attempt to use his arms when making the tackle"
I think that's perfect.

It doesn't muddy about with multiple criteria and empowers refs and judiciary to police with ease.

Flaky multi point criteria just makes it a crap shoot.

A simple common sense definition that would be easy to judge, and remove confusion

Can't see how that fits with the NRL's mission statement :)

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • marw
  • broncsgoat
  • Browny
  • LGH
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.