Sin bin for slapping introduced

It's the same with how some captains are allowed to be so rude to the ref when their team is losing. One sin bin for him and it would stop forever but none of them have the kahunas.

Last edited:
It's the same with how some captains are allowed to talk be so rude to the ref when their team is losing. One sin bin for him and it would stop forever but none of them have the kahunas.
Thurston has sworn at the refs on occasion. Zero consequence.

The current NRL administration has always been reactionary, from the change in finals system, to the extra time in finals it usually takes some sort of outcry to get them off their arse to do something. In this case, it's clearly a response to the Klemmer slap on Cherry-Evans. I don't have an issue with their decision, I'm just surprised it took this long when really it should have been taken care of in 2013.

The officials can't please everybody. If they penalised every single incident, it would ruin the flow of the game. They're already under enough scrutiny as is, if they penalised every illegal play it would only draw criticism. Moreover, it would turn casual fans off who want to watch the footy, not worry about the officials.

Everybody has a different preference when it comes to the officials. I believe the way the game is policed needs to be changed, where we eliminate the kick for touch, allow quick taps (as long as they're on the mark, otherwise you lose that advantage) and 10 minute sin-bins are replaced by 5 minute bins. By limiting their power, it makes it easier for them to do their job and prevents them from having as big an influence on the contest.

For what it's worth, while I believe the standard could be better, I don't believe poor officiating is a recent trend. In fact, there's been reports of bad officiating well before any of us were born. While I hate to see the officials make mistakes, it's to be expected while we have humans in charge.

Did they bin or penalise Hodkinson in that game? Can't remember.....

They did but he's not a Smith, Thurston or Gallen.

The way Thurston speaks to a referee when his team is under the pump is disgraceful. Dead set sook of the highest order.

Let the refs blow a penalty for every incident that breaks the rules. It might "ruin the flow of the game", but it's not the refs faults and it'll only be for that game.

These dirty fucking players, and more importantly, the scum fucking coaches who encourage and craft their playing style on foul play, will get the hint really bloody fast.

Here's the stupidity. The 7 tackle, 20 metre restart was brought in to discourage tactics like deliberately kicking dead instead of letting Slater run the ball back. Completely within the rules, great tactic. But because it "took away from the excitement", the new rule was introduced. And yet, standing 3 metres offside in defence, lying all over the ruck, and repeatedly, intentionally committing professional fouls are all tactics designed to stifle, and suffocate, a team's attacking opportunities. And are all tolerated. Unless of course a team needs a piggy-back because the match is in danger of ruining "smallest average winning margins".

The Storm Sharks was not a blight because of the slap. It was a blight because it represented everything wrong about how teams are coached to win, and how gutless the refs are to stamp it out. Thd game is diseased. Banning slapping is like banning sneezing - they're just symptoms of a system being fucked up.

It's the same with how some captains are allowed to be so rude to the ref when their team is losing. One sin bin for him and it would stop forever but none of them have the kahunas.

Thurston has sworn at the refs on occasion. Zero consequence.

The way Thurston speaks to a referee when his team is under the pump is disgraceful. Dead set sook of the highest order.
Why however did you figure out who I was talking about? :biggrin:

Morkel said:
Let the refs blow a penalty for every incident that breaks the rules. It might "ruin the flow of the game", but it's not the refs faults and it'll only be for that game.

In an ideal world, perhaps...

In Rugby League? They've tried that route several times and it never lasts. Either the referees become lax or the media has such a hard time with it that the referees are forced to change their approach.

In Rugby League? They've tried that route several times and it never lasts. Either the referees become lax or the media has such a hard time with it that the referees are forced to change their approach.

They've had "crackdowns" on specific rules, but they don't last long - not because of the media, but because after a few penalties have been blown and everyone stops doing it for a few weeks, the refs think that the job is done.

I've seen both variations and the end result is always the same.

Unless the NRL is going to make fundamental changes to the type of powers the referees have, then I don't expect any changes. At least, not that would satisfy the majority.

I've seen both variations and the end result is always the same.

Unless the NRL is going to make fundamental changes to the type of powers the referees have, then I don't expect any changes. At least, not that would satisfy the majority.

The refs already have the relevant powers. There are rules - they get broken, penalise those who break them.

But I know what you're saying. They're under instruction to use discretion, let the game flow, etc. It's crap. I mean, you're not wrong, but that mindset is crap. It just opens itself up to continued and escalating encroachment. To the point where we have, well, what we have now, where it's a fucking lottery when, where, and what a penalty is blown for.

Maybe bringing Harrigan back will be a good thing - he may not have been to everyone's taste, but one thing he never did was let fear dictate whether a penalty should be blown or not. He might issue the refs with a brand new set of testicles each.

Right.

Furthermore the referees have too much power. There are certain indiscretions that happen that don't deserve a kick for touch and the same can be said for the ten minute sin-bin. If they could make fundamental changes like scrapping the kick for touch for a quick-tap and introduce a five minute sin-bin I feel the referees would feel more confident in policing the game.

Bill wasn't that diligent with the rule-book, the players loved him because he had a habit of blowing as little penalties as possible.

Granted, I'd prefer him over Archer who had the tendency to blow 'catch-up' penalties.

I don't see the big deal about banning slapping although the refs should have been acting on it instead of forcing a rule change .

It's a bad look and a cheap shot designed to taunt and niggle while knowing the other guy can't punch you back without copping 10.

Bill Harrigan started all this shit, he oversaw the introduction of the "spectacle", instead of refereeing what was in front of him.

Bringing him back isn't going to stop the beast he birthed.

These are interesting points. The first I one I think is a result of general inertia that is present in most organisations. Bad habits are tough to break and it's hard to develop new ones. That is why we see crackdowns that last a week then it's back to business as usual.

The second point is a huge one. Muppets like Phil Gould mouth off half-cocked and they wield enormous influence. Like that Souths Bulldogs game from a few years ago when Reynolds got hurt. The muppet is blowing up in the commentary box about why the penalty kick is right in front.

Phil Gould is apparently the highest earner in the game. You'd think he could buy a rule book before standing on his soap box. Besides, grubs like James Graham and Maloney can get stuffed. If the referees crack down on unnecessary contact then it will be funny how a lot of these 'Aw sorry sir, didn't meant, it was an accident, couldn't pull out in time blah blah fucking blah' excuses would disappear completely.

The game is a haven for grubs. The fans deserve better. Jackals like Gould are feasting on the carcass of this once great game. It isn't right.

The refs already have the relevant powers. There are rules - they get broken, penalise those who break them.

But I know what you're saying. They're under instruction to use discretion, let the game flow, etc. It's crap. I mean, you're not wrong, but that mindset is crap. It just opens itself up to continued and escalating encroachment. To the point where we have, well, what we have now, where it's a fucking lottery when, where, and what a penalty is blown for.

Maybe bringing Harrigan back will be a good thing - he may not have been to everyone's taste, but one thing he never did was let fear dictate whether a penalty should be blown or not. He might issue the refs with a brand new set of testicles each.

I wonder how Harrigan would have coped with the wrestle. It's such a completely different game now to 2003 when he hung up the whistle.

The NRL are basically running the game based on the sole criteria of what looks good on TV. It's completely bonkers. Sam Thaiday was fined for grabbing a bloke's thumb. What did he do wrong? Exactly? Apparently it just looked bad.

Yet apparently the Roosters can zero in their attack on Ben Hunt - who was clearly injured. Apparently that's all good.

Greenberg issued the Dragons with a breach notice of the concussion rules becasue he was watching on TV at home and it looked bad.

I don't follow a lot of other sports. Is there a more incompetently run sport than Rugby League in Australia? It's an embarassment to call it a professional game.

I wonder how Harrigan would have coped with the wrestle. It's such a completely different game now to 2003 when he hung up the whistle.

The NRL are basically running the game based on the sole criteria of what looks good on TV. It's completely bonkers. Sam Thaiday was fined for grabbing a bloke's thumb. What did he do wrong? Exactly? Apparently it just looked bad.

Yet apparently the Roosters can zero in their attack on Ben Hunt - who was clearly injured. Apparently that's all good.

Greenberg issued the Dragons with a breach notice of the concussion rules becasue he was watching on TV at home and it looked bad.

I don't follow a lot of other sports. Is there a more incompetently run sport than Rugby League in Australia? It's an embarassment to call it a professional game.
Super Rugby

Active Now

• Kev_Guz
  • broncos4life
  • Mr Fourex
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Manifesto
  • Brocko
  • Howzat
  • Old Mate
  • RolledOates
  • johnyE
  • Broncosgirl
  • Lurker
  • Morkel
  • Bish
  • Morepudding
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.