Sin bin for slapping introduced

Eels V Broncos fight after Peter Wallace is Cloth…:

Have I gotten soft? (Shut up...)

That's a legit clothesline that Wallace copped to the face. Looked to me to be a certain 10 in the bin, I can't believe the commentators were downplaying it.

Or was that legitimately a "it just crept up a little bit" situation and we're just not used to seeing it any more???

That's a legit clothesline that Wallace copped to the face. Looked to me to be a certain 10 in the bin, I can't believe the commentators were downplaying it.

Or was that legitimately a "it just crept up a little bit" situation and we're just not used to seeing it any more???
That was not even four years ago. It's changed drastically since then.

I think @Morkel brings up a lot of good points. He certainly gives you food for thought.

Tell me something, if it's all above board and there's nothing to see here tell me why the bunker are only allowed to rule on field goals during golden point?

I read that the other day. They can't check for offside, late tackles etc...is this the NRL admitting that the referees put the whistle away in extra time? Is it an admission that only the dirtiest grubbiest team wins? No one bothers getting back the 10 etc.

The timing of this slapping ban is interesting coming off the Sharks-Storm game. It was the biggest grub-a-thon of the last 10 years. You could almost see the bean counters going 'Shit! This crap is not good television! We need tries dammit! Condition red! Condition RED!!!"
No I'm with you all the way. Changing rules to suit non-Queenslanders has been the NRL's modus operandi since day dot.

Why introduce this change in ruling now, a quarter of the way through the season, when it's been happening since the no punch rule was introduced when Gaylen threw haymakers at Myles in Origin?

This code is SO hindered by the Karmichael's in charge.

No I'm with you all the way. Changing rules to suit non-Queenslanders has been the NRL's modus operandi since day dot.

Why introduce this change in ruling now, a quarter of the way through the season, when it's been happening since the no punch rule was introduced when Gaylen threw haymakers at Myles in Origin?

Some people claim that Gallen knocked Myles out cold......they don't like it when you correct them.

Eels V Broncos fight after Peter Wallace is Cloth…:

I remember watching this game at a bar in Thailand. Wallace had been hit really late all season and McGuire wasn't happy at all. I think a few weeks later Allgood beat the shit out of Matai and blamed it on some form of PTSD caused by McGuire.

Did everyone hear Greg Alexander justifying the late hit. He's such a twat.

Looks soft to me.

There is an alternate world where Ashley Klein did sin bin Gallen for 10 minutes...or even had the balls to send him off.

Instead in this world he doubled down on his incompetence and sin binned four players the following game (including Tate and Bird who I think never threw a punch!). It was a farce of the highest order. On reflection, I thought Origin ceased being meaningful in the dead rubber this year with that rubbish Jennings call but the rot strated a few years earlier when I think about it.

If he'd simply done his job and sin binned Gallen I doubt we'd have the nonsense we have to put up with today.

There is an alternate world where Ashley Klein did sin bin Gallen for 10 minutes...or even had the balls to send him off.

Instead in this world he doubled down on his incompetence and sin binned four players the following game (including Tate and Bird who I think never threw a punch!). It was a farce of the highest order. On reflection, I thought Origin ceased being meaningful in the dead rubber this year with that rubbish Jennings call but the rot strated a few years earlier when I think about it.

If he'd simply done his job and sin binned Gallen I doubt we'd have the nonsense we have to put up with today.

That's been the NRL's MO for as long as I can remember. Escalating bullshit to continually cover their arses.

Yeah, WTF, I find this bordering on corruption to basically openly admit they're aiming for close games.
If anything it shows how hard teams have to work over the course of a season to earn that top four spot - you can lose against anyone on any given week if your attitude is off even just a little bit.

Us losing against the Bulldogs wasn't some wild conspiracy, like our assistant coach said - we just stopped playing footy.

It's down to coaching and playing it safe which we have been guilty of for a while.

I agree ... sin bin them for girly slaps. :P

they should never have banned the punch ... was only brought in because the powers that be, feared a QLD retaliation on Gallen after the refs failed to sin bin him for his cheap shot on Myles in the previous origin game

Seriously, if they're going to bin them for slaps, they HAVE to do likewise for the elbows, facials and other forms of niggle as well.

Time for the Refs to step up and enforce this.

This pc rubbish is really just turning the game into glorified touch footy. Both codes of Rugby in this country are run so badly no wonder people are disengaging. Taking out biff, shoulder charge etc just is softening the game and taking out intimidators.

How is it taking out intimidators?

Why can't these players intimidate the legal way by actually putting on hard hits and constantly getting in the face of his opposite number and making him feel small? You don't need to punch them or dish up a shoulder charge to do that.

I don't get the uproar about the shoulder charge being banned, to be honest.

Do you know how many tackles in a season were shoulder charges?

Less than 1%

Best thing about that, they didn't target our kicker again

Great article up right now over at The Roar about referees too dickless to use the sin bin.

I'll summarise a few points:

- The Storm and the Sharks are currently the two most penalised sides in the competition and are sitting second and third on the ladder.

- Despite archer talking tough in February that the sin bin will be enforced only seven sin binnings have occurred so far and only one of those was for repeated infringements like the NRL said they would crack down on.

- Our game against the Storm had 20 penalties in it. Incredibly no one was binned and even more unbelievably that was the one game where the Storm won the penalty count!!!

The whole article is worth a read here: http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/04/1...r-as-tony-archer-fails-to-bring-back-the-bin/

Honestly, how anyone can still have blinkers on and still think this is a legitimate competition and that any team can win is utterly beyond me.

I agree ... sin bin them for girly slaps. :p

they should never have banned the punch ... was only brought in because the powers that be, feared a QLD retaliation on Gallen after the refs failed to sin bin him for his cheap shot on Myles in the previous origin game

This. Totally this. If they were genuine about what they were saying, they would have used Myles' "grubbiness" to justify a crackdown on cheap shots. It hasn't happened. They've only cracked down on the actions that people use to retaliate, making the game grubbier and slower.

Two players that everyone needs to watch closely are JWH and Beau Scott. They don't play tough, despite what people say. They are just dirty. Every single tackle, they try to position themselves for a cheap elbow, knee, or to try to twist or stretch joints while other tacklers are holding them. Every single tackle. I'm not expecting players to be saints, to catch the runners and gently lower them to the ground so they don't get boo-boos, but if you can't intimidate your opponent through your actual football, then go and play UFC, where the opponent isn't being held by two team-mates, and then see how tough you really are.

So with the punching ban, we now see players coming together and slap each other and pull each other's jersey and get nose to nose and Kent hated that. He wanted the NRL to do something about it.

So they bring in the slapping ban, and Kent is complaining that they are going in the wrong direction...

So with the punching ban, we now see players coming together and slap each other and pull each other's jersey and get nose to nose and Kent hated that. He wanted the NRL to do something about it.

So they bring in the slapping ban, and Kent is complaining that they are going in the wrong direction...

The guy is a muppet. Not much we can do about it.

Slapping is only a problem because they (correctly) outlawed punching. Still though, they're just symptoms of the disease. Give refs the power to sin bin and send off players for foul play and contrary conduct (which un-fucking-believably they already have the power to but for reasons are unwilling and/or unable to enforce it) all this nonsense will go away.

It amazes me how the NRL can't see that?

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Bronx48
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Sproj
  • Griffo
  • Broncorob
  • Sanjit Joseph
  • Broncosgirl
  • I bleed Maroon
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • Bish
  • Jedhead
  • LittleDavey
  • Fitzy
  • Fatboy
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.