Sliding Doors: Round 1

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
If the Broncos hadn't of recruited Wayne Bennett and Anthony Griffin was still in charge of the Broncos what do you think our Round 1 side would have looked like. It is unlikely we would have seen Boyd, Blair & Gavet recruited to the Broncos and I doubt Whitchurch would have been selected. It's possible Barba and maybe Hala would have still been at the club also with it always looking likely that Hannant, Kennedy and Hoffman were finding new homes.

Here's what I think our lineup would have looked like:

1. Barba/Milford
2. Vidot
3. Copely
4. Hodges (c)
5. Maranta
6. Milford/Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Parker (c)
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Gillett

14. Reed
15. Hala
16. Dodds
17. Garbutt

I think you're pretty close to the mark ... Kahu may have been given a shot on one of the wings though

Always difficult to speculate since you never know who would have suffered an injury in the pre-season...

I doubt many accounted for Boyd to get injured when he did.

I don't think Hoffman or Kennedy were going anywhere. They wouldn't have been happy here, but I think Hook would have made a point to have them see out their contract.

Milford was always brought to the club as a five eighth and I doubt Hook would have budged on that.

That would make the line-up...

1. Ben Barba
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Dale Copley
4. Justin Hodges (c)
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Anthony Milford
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Corey Parker (c)
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Sam Thaiday

14. Jack Reed
15. Mitchell Garbutt
16. Martin Kennedy
17. Corey Oates

I reckon the boys would have been more competitive but would have been chasing their tails from the out-set and the score would have ended up something like 24-14.

Man that line-up is awful, thank god Wayne came when he did.

Man, if only they would have had some kind of intervention for Hoffman before he left. Would be amazing to have him on the wing.

It has it's pros and cons over the current line-up.

But I don't think it's the 1-17 that really matters. More about structure and players knowing their job which is where Hook struggled.

Bonus Question: What would our starting 17 look like in 2016 if Griffin remained for this season and next.

1. Milford
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Hodges (c)
5. Kahu
6. Hunt
7. Cherry-Evans
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Parker (c)
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Dodds

14. Oates
15. Thaiday
16. Kennedy
17. Garbutt

Bonus Question: What would our starting 17 look like in 2016 if Griffin remained for this season and next.

1. Milford
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Hodges (c)
5. Kahu
6. Hunt
7. Cherry-Evans
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Parker (c)
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Dodds

14. Oates
15. Thaiday
16. Kennedy
17. Garbutt

No way we ever get DCE.

Barba
some winger who is a slow as a prop
Reed
Hodges
some other awful winger
Milford (30 kgs heavier)
Some othe half, Hunt having left to play with a decent team
McGuire
McC
Garbutt
Gillett
thaiday
Parker

bench
who cares they never get on

team finishes 13th pro Griffin idiots on here try to defend another season of abject failure by saying that they've turned a corner....suggest that people question Griffin aren't reals and ought to be take to the gulags....

1. Milford
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Hodges (c)
5. Kahu
6. Hunt
7. Cherry-Evans
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Parker (c)
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Dodds

14. Oates
15. Thaiday
16. Kennedy
17. Garbutt
That's probably very close to the mark, although I don't think we would've kept Hoffman...

1. Milford
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Hodges (c)
5. Kahu
6. Hunt
7. Cherry-Evans
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Parker (c)
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Dodds

14. Oates
15. Thaiday
16. Kennedy
17. Garbutt

I don't think he would have the balls to drop Thaiday to the bench.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.