Slimmed down Broncos to thrive under new rules

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
WAYNE Bennett’s ability to predict rugby league’s future has again given Brisbane an advantage over their rivals.

Broncos players believe their slimming pack is tailor-made for the reduced interchange in the NRL this season
While the Broncos pack was already one of the NRL’s smallest, prop Josh McGuire is among a core group of players who have increased their fitness and slimmed down during the pre-season.

McGuire revealed he now weighed only 104kg as Brisbane seek grand final revenge aided by the now famous “torturous Tuesday’’ sessions.

McGuire said the NRL’s move from 10 to eight interchanges would be a major asset for Brisbane’s premiership hopes.

The desire to be fitter comes from a key philosophy introduced at Brisbane, where middle forwards must be able to play 20 minutes of consecutive NRL football.

McGuire said their light pack was perfectly suited to outrunning opposition teams this season with just eight interchanges allowed.

“I’ll be playing a couple kilos lighter than I did last season,” McGuire said. “I will probably play at 104kgm.

“The new interchange rules mean I will suit the game better. The speed of the game is quickening and that makes it hard for the bigger fellers and hopefully I can use my speed.

“I am excited about the new interchange rules. I think it will suit us with our smaller pack.

“It will be interesting to see how it goes in the trials and then in Rounds 1 and 2.’’

Broncos strength and conditioning trainer Alex Corvo said the NRL was no longer a place for forwards who could only play 15-17 minutes at a time.

“We have a philosophy here that as a middle forward you need to be able to play at least 20 minutes consecutively,” Corvo said.

“It is important for the interchanges that you can go for 20 minutes because if you are coming off after 15 minutes, the next guy will have to do 25.

“There is no directive to lose weight across the board but there are some forwards who have taken it upon themselves to lose some weight.

“Josh has actually lost fat and added muscle mass which will help him return from the achilles injury.’’

Player fitness was heavily questioned during most of Anthony Griffin’s reign at Brisbane as the team often faded in the last 10 minutes of games and players were too heavy for their own good.

Those questions are no longer valid.

Giant props Dave Hala and Martin Kennedy were moved on within weeks of Bennett arriving, replaced by 105kg front-rower Adam Blair. Since then the existing players have lost more weight.

Even winger Lachlan Maranta has lost 4kg under Bennett and the coach recently released one of their heaviest players from last season, 110kg James Gavet.

Even halfback Ben Hunt looks noticeably slimmer at training this pre-season and Sam Thaiday will be the only one of the Broncos’ starting pack for Round 1 who weighs more than 105kg.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...p/news-story/5a495f7d5db780b98739e0dfc3a9ce1c

Sam Thaiday will be the only one of the Broncos’ starting pack for Round 1 who weighs more than 105kg.

Uhhh... starting pack?

Hunt looks slimmer? Last photo i saw he looked beefy as!

Hunt looks slimmer? Last photo i saw he looked beefy as!

Yeah I posted that photo, I don't think they have a clue honestly, Hunt has put on at least 5kg since end of last year.

Yeah I posted that photo, I don't think they have a clue honestly, Hunt has put on at least 5kg since end of last year.

Oh you know, it was a bad photo taken and an unflattering moment.

It's amazing that you can tell how much someone weighs from just a photo, that is a rare gift.

It's amazing that you can tell how much someone weighs from just a photo, that is a rare gift.

He does look noticeably bigger.

Not sure if trolling or not, but it's pretty easy to tell if someone has gained weight by a photo, especially when they're all training photos, taken from the same angle, in the same clothes.

Last edited:
Ben Hunt 2014 Pre-Season -

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Ben Hunt 2016 Pre-Season -

I'm not crazy right? He definitely looks a few kilos heavier and less lean.

Ben Hunt 2014 Pre-Season -

Ben Hunt 2016 Pre-Season -

I'm not crazy right? He definitely looks a few kilos heavier and less lean.

between the tensing, the lighting the glistening of sweat/body oil. Who the fk knows. Can someone just text him and find out.

Tbh he looks bigger in the first photo. They zoomed in more on that one.

Looks paler and shorter too. I wonder if he's seen a doctor in the off season. Should we be worried?

between the tensing, the lighting the glistening of sweat/body oil. Who the fk knows. Can someone just text him and find out.

Tbh he looks bigger in the first photo. They zoomed in more on that one.

Bigger as in more muscular / fit, yeah I agree, he looks chunky in the 2016 photo. I wouldn't say he looks fat, just not quite as lean as usual. There's still a month of training and games before the season starts, not worried, he'll be right. So will Milf.

My sources have told me that Dylan Napa took the last large singlet so Ben Hunt was stuck with a medium. Also, 2014 pre-season was like 4 years ago. Everyone get's fatter as they get older.

Gee he really is starting to remind me of Johns (just the body shape)...he'll be right.

4 weeks from today and our quest for redemption starts!!!!

His hands look bigger, which can only be a good thing.

Hope Corey Oates ability as a part time winger to read backline defence has also got bigger...

Just sayin.

Unread

Active Now

• Yellowfella
  • Allo
  • Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.