Someone Teach the Broncos Dummy half running!

I think Folau will be good in Centre if given a good quality lesson or two from the Pearl... I know Folau was garbage his first time on the left but lets be fair it was his first time ever playing on the left and was in one of the biggest games of the year. I am confident if given the time to learn left centre it would reap rewards for the Broncos.

Two things people need to note about Folau. He's not that fast, and he's not that evasive. I really don't think centre is his position.

I was of the opinion speed was quite high on the list of things wingers needed to be.

Coxy said:
Two things people need to note about Folau. He's not that fast, and he's not that evasive. I really don't think centre is his position.

I dare say he would be both faster and more evasive than Hodges. He physical attributtes means he probably most suited to the wing, but he is one of the most players were you just have to get him the ball as much as possible and I think that means centre.

And as for origin 1 last year he preformance could be attributed to it being his debut and the fact that the whole team got dominated rather than him playing on the left.

I think Folau is a centre and wasted outside Hodges.
If we have to play them both right side at the very least they should swap around a lot or play Hodges at wing outside Folau.

Beads6 said:
I was of the opinion speed was quite high on the list of things wingers needed to be.

Yes, but ability under the high ball and strength are more important. Look at Wendell. He was always quick, but never the quickest in the Broncos...but with his strength he was unstoppable close to the line.

Folau is similar. He's hard to stop close to the line.

I think Hodges is way more evasive than Folau. Folau genreally steamrolls over players although he has a good step.

Coxy said:
Beads6 said:

Yes, but ability under the high ball and strength are more important. Look at Wendell. He was always quick, but never the quickest in the Broncos...but with his strength he was unstoppable close to the line.

Folau is similar. He's hard to stop close to the line.

I understand your arguement but I think it can be used both ways for Centre and wing. I am just happy he is a Bronco hopefully Henjak sorts out the backline soon though.

Yes, and that step and steamroll is all a winger needs. 99% of Folau's tries are close range barge over tries or finishing off movements, or catching bombs.

Yes but running hard of a short ball from Lockyer at centre close to the line or even further out he would surely do mroe damage than sitting out on the wing waiting for the Taliban to drop bombs.

Oh for sure, he should come hunting the ball off Locky. But I don't see why him playing centre is better than having him on the wing? On the wing he'd have more freedom to come looking for the ball anyway!

Coxy said:
Oh for sure, he should come hunting the ball off Locky. But I don't see why him playing centre is better than having him on the wing? On the wing he'd have more freedom to come looking for the ball anyway!

Ok thats fine if he comes in looking for the ball leave him on the wing I just want the ball in his hands more. He has a great off load also which would be good in the middle of the park to set up some second phase play.

Haha give up Beads, Coxy has been against Folau playing centre ever since we announced his signing.

FTR, i think he would be an excellent centre. You don't need to be fast and evasive if you have the size and strength of Folau. Besides, his footwork isn't all that bad.

But folau is fast....... He's not as fast as some others, but he certainly isn't slow, and he's very powerful and has great footwork.

Why would he have to be right centre anyway? As already mentioned he isn't an evasive type player so he doesn't have a step that more useful on the right than the left. He had one bad game on the left at Origin and that was because of the halves not using the left side not because of Israel. He can play left centre and Hodges can stay right. All Izzy needs to do is work on his passes and be decisive in defence and communicate with his winger.

Hodges is a great dummy half runner, so is hunt, and I'm sure someone can dig some stats up to prove this... its called scoot plays, they're doing it to help out their forwards, not to make linebreaks, you cant have a backline of hookers ffs....

The thing i see with hodges and izzy on the right is the defence jam ms up on them giving them less room which means there is gaps on the left but we dont have the quality backs on the left to break the line, from what i have seen of yow yew if he can beat a man 1 on 1 let the defence jam up on the right then two passes wide and put yow yew 1 on 1 with a defender. Also one thing the broncos used to do with renouf which would suit izzy now too is when the play of the ball is in the middle let him drift behind the play to the left and get the ball even if then the ball goes right it gives hodges less defence.

What is to stop Winterstein playing centre and Yow Yeh being his left winger? High ball aside Winterstein seems to have a reasonably good defence. Besides, let's face it, it's physically impossible to think of a player who could go worse at centre than Steve Michaels.

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Jedhead
  • HVbronco
  • Foordy
  • Aldo
  • Fitzy
  • Strop
  • Johnny92
  • BroncosAlways
  • Mustafur
  • armchair
  • Broncosgirl
  • mrtij
  • broncoscope
  • heartly87
  • Bish
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Behold
  • Sproj
  • bert_lifts
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.