Spring Carnival

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Anybody interested in a footy style spring carnival tipping comp can PM me and I will forward the email address of the organiser.

Been playing for 6 years now it's a cheap way to have an interest over the spring and if you win, $2500 would be nice.
The rule etc are below

Fellow Tipsters,

As at this evening we look like exceeding 200 entrants for 2012, which is good for weekly and final prize money! Please find below some further details about the competition such as the rules etc (Doctor makes all the rules!). If you have any questions please ring or email me.

At this stage of the comp I am trying to get 3 things sorted: (1) entrant list; (2) email distribution list; and (3) payment – I would appreciate your assistance, particularly with the payment.

Entrant List

I have 184 confirmed starters, but this will likely move over the 200 mark with late entrants (old and new). Feel free to submit additional entrants up to Saturday morning (the less they know about racing the better!). My target is 225 entrants. Some of you receiving this email are entrants from last year yet to confirm interest for 2012.

Email Distribution

Please bear with me should you receive multiple emails, no emails, or if you are not competing this year and are still getting emails you don’t wish to receive! In all cases, just email me the information and I will try and correct the distribution.

Payment

A check of the bank tells me we have 50% of entry fees so far. This is always the hardest part of setting up the comp and I request all who haven’t yet paid to make it a priority. For me to commence payment of the week 1 winners (this weekend) I need to lock down the total number of entrants – this requires full payment (there have been cases of non-paying entrants leaving the comp after a poor first round).

I will provide the first weekly reminder tomorrow night (Thursday). Each reminder will include a list of the races on which we are to make selections and any special condition events for the particular Saturday.

Happy punting,

Doc

Rules

Each member makes a selection from each of the nominated races (33 races for 2012, but the Doctor reserves the right to add races should the opportunity arise, and if the Doctor needs to make up points on the leaders!). Points are awarded for 1st = 10 pts, 2nd = 6 pts, 3rd = 4 pts, 4th = 2 pt (please note that in 2012 we no longer provide 1 point for 5th place). Deadheats share the points (ie two horse deadheat for 3rd results in 3 pts each). The competition winner is the member with the greatest amount of points after the final race (on Derby Day). If the leading points scorers are tied then they will share the prize money. The Doctor has the final say on all rules.

Special Condition Races

Joker. In addition to the basic 10 points available in each race, there are three 'Special Condition' races. The first Special Condition race is the 'Joker'. Each member can select ANY race over the 33 covered throughout the competition and play their Joker. In doing so they will receive DOUBLE POINTS for any place they obtain. For example, if last year’s winner ‘Peter R’ decides to wait for More Joyous in the Cox Plate to play his Joker, and More Joyous runs second behind Ocean Park (go you good thing), ‘Peter R’ would be awarded 12 points (6 for coming second doubled by the Joker).

Trifectas. The second, third, and forth 'Special Condition' races are the Caulfield Stakes (2000m Group 1 on 13 Oct) the Caulfield Cup (20 Oct) and the Drake International Cup (2500m Group 2 27 Oct). This is one more ‘Special Condition’ race than last year. In these races, members will be required to provide 3 tips, and will be awarded points for all placing’s (4th or better) obtained by these 3 horses. For example, if a member tips the trifecta, they would be awarded 20 Points (10 for first, 6 for second and 4 for third).

Members must ensure they get their tips to me (the 'Doctor') before 10am for each race day (or before the first race whichever is earlier). On Derby Day (the last day of the competition), I need tips as early as possible.

No Selections submitted or Received

In the event of a member failing to get their tips through to me, I will award the highest weighted, lowest numbered saddlecloth third favourites from Friday's 'The Courier Mail' Race Guide. For example, if horse 4 and 7 are equal third favourites at 7/2, and are both carrying 54kg (before any claims), I will award horse 4 to the member (the number 4 being lower than the number 7). The resulting score will be deducted by 25%. Please note that any member who relies on the Friday 3rd Favourites twice will not be eligible for final prize money, or weekly prize money on the week(s) they are awarded the Friday 3rd Favourites (they can still collect weekly prizes for the remaining weeks).

Please note that selections sent late, not received (for whatever reason eg server speeds) or sent to the wrong email address will be grounds for the Doctor to use the Fridays Third Favourite rule.

In the event of a late scratching the Friday Favourite rule will apply without deduction of the 25%. In such cases the member will still be eligible for all weekly and final prize money.

Points are awarded at Correct Weight and will not be effected by later disqualifications etc after that time.

I will reveal other members tips to any member who asks during the first 4 weeks. However, members Derby Day tips (the final 7 races) will NOT be made available (of course I will see them!). As per last year I will provide my tips to a random email group of members so there is no opportunity for convenient changes (a good scorer beats a good tipper!). Like all of you my goal is to one day win this comp!

Cough and Sneezes Rule

If EI, or any other unavoidable cause, stop the carnival before Caulfield Cup Day (day 3 of 5 for our tipping), then I will refund the cash. If we commence through the Caulfield Cup race day I will pay on placings as they stand when racing is stopped.

Prize Money

All entry fees are returned in full to entrants as follows:

· 35% Weekly Prizes

· 63% Final Standings

· 2% Slush Fund for Beer and Food at the Manly Hotel on Derby Day (you have to be there to get the benefit!)

Hi BM how did you go last Sat, I scored 42 and still have my joker to play

Melbourne Cup tomorrow......

Who is everyone tipping?

I like My Quest for Peace and Mourayan (who I would have bet on last year if not scratched) both at good weights and decent enough odds. I like American but I can't fathom backing a Cup horse at $5 carrying that much weight, Dunaden falls into that category as well.

Going to have the day off for the first time in a few years which is great! Going down to the GOld Coast Turf Club for the races, should be a lot of fun!

I always go for value - Ethiopia is my big hope this year, but I'll be on Mourayan as well (like you Brizz, I was going to bet on Mourayan last year too!).

Probably stick a couple of bucks on a few other horses too, just to keep shit interesting. :laugh:

I stick with my homies so Dunaden won it for me last year, and 10 bucks says I'm hoping he does it for me again!

Also have a trifecta with Dunaden, Americain, Maluckyday and My Quest for Peace

Galileios Choice, Americain, My Q For P, Malucky Day, Mt Athos in trifectas Quinellas and first 4

Red Cadeaux with Jakkalberry as a big roughie.....good luck.

Good thing I had some money on Green Moon and Fiorente. :rockon:

Some poor bloke lost alot of his money because of Green Moon.

Yeah baby. Had 50 e/w on mt athos, and 50 e/w on fiorente ftw (or ft2nd)!!!!!

Unread

Active Now

• Battler
  • Porthoz
  • MrRobot
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Johnny92
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • NSW stables
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • Redux
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.