St Helens confirmed as third Super League side for 2016 World Club Series

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
ST HELENS have been handed the third English spot in next year’s World Club Series against NRL heavyweights North Queensland, Brisbane and Sydney Roosters.

The 2014 Super League champions will line up alongside grand finalists Wigan and Leeds against the NRL trio.

Leeds qualified as Challenge Cup winners, as well as league leaders, while Wigan were assured of their place by reaching Old Trafford and it was up to the Super League board to select the third team.

St Helens got the nod on the basis that they reached the last four in both Super League and the Challenge Cup, have a strong history in the World Club Challenge and will add value to the 2016 tournament.

Saints, who lost 39-0 at home to South Sydney in the 2015 World Club Challenge, will kick off the action against the Roosters at Langtree Park on February 19.

The match will also celebrate the 40th anniversary of the inaugural World Club Challenge involving both teams.

NRL runners-up Brisbane will play the loser of this weekend’s Super League grand final while premiers North Queensland will play the winner.

The NRL clubs completed a 3-0 whitewash earlier this year, with Wigan and Warrington losing to Brisbane and St George Illawarra respectively, but organisers were delighted with bumper crowds for all three fixtures.

Super League general manager Blake Solly said: “The 2015 World Club Series delivered everything we had hoped for and more but I believe that the 2016 Series can go one step further providing even more enthralling and exciting entertainment with bigger crowds and increased interest around the world.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...orld-club-series/story-e6frf3yu-1227563046717

So, Broncos play the loser out of Leeds and Wigan.

I hope Wigan lose. I would love to play them again.. And beat them again.

I hope whoever is playing the Cowboys, absolutely and utterly destroys them. I want them coming home feeling like a bunch of shitcunts after losing by heaps.

Not likely, NRL sides are a cut above when they actually put in.

I hope whoever is playing the Cowboys, absolutely and utterly destroys them. I want them coming home feeling like a bunch of shitcunts after losing by heaps.

Bit unfair

looks like we are playing Wigan again

Will be interesting to see how Milford goes without Hunt.

Will his suspension start from that game or being it's an exhibition match Hunt can play. .?

Pretty sure that game will count and then round 1, good to go for round 2 against the cows of course. Think any rep games, internationals etc count and pre season doesn't, correct me if I'm wrong though.

The nines count as well... he will play round 1.

Awesome.

So will ash taylor be on our books still ?

Wouldn't imagine so. Who will play half back?

I think season contracts renew on the 1st of November, so Ash will be a Tit by then... :tsk:

No idea who will play HB. :noidea:

I think season contracts renew on the 1st of November, so Ash will be a Tit by then... :tsk:

No idea who will play HB. :noidea:

I heard we were signing a young half back soon, as cover for the halves.

Could Darren Nicholls be an outside chance?
E: no apparently he went to the Rabbitohs.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see how Milford goes without Hunt.

Very much so. I think Wigan's chances are much improved in Hunt's absence. With him I think we'd run riot. Without him, the contest becomes much tighter.

I like Kodi and Milf but they aren't the most complementary halves pairing.

Kodi and milf have a bit of experience in the halves together but against melbourne they had no cohesion. . Not sure how they were the u20 state rep halves combination.. But it is u20s

Active Now

• Allo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Fitzy
  • Financeguy
  • Mister Wright
  • Rowdy124
  • broncos4life
  • Fatboy
  • Fozz
  • lynx000
  • Jazza
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bish
  • Foordy
  • Manlyman
  • Harry Sack
  • pennywisealfie
  • mrslong
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.