-NEWS- Staggs Declares Loyalty: “I’m Going Nowhere”

McHunt

NRL Captain
Sunshine Coast
This incident took place in Dubbo last year.
Indeed. Thanks for the correction.

I don't know why I had it in my head it happened in Maroochydore. Maybe because he was up here on the Coast when the story broke. Also we have this particular way of walking...

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Indeed. Thanks for the correction.

I don't know why I had it in my head it happened in Maroochydore. Maybe because he was up here on the Coast when the story broke. Also we have this particular way of walking...
fawlty towers funny walk GIF

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
In Kevvie I trust . The kid has skill and if we pick up a smart 9 and Dearden becomes the 7 most believe he can be , then i think he has all the attributes of a 6 we would need. Can you imagine the room he would create, very Munster esk imo
Been watching him for years now and i just dont see it. I dont see any attributes in his game to make me think he will be a good 5/8. Munster at ISC level always had the elusive footwork and ball skills so you could see with a bit of development he could play 5/8. Kotoni's game is all about pace and power. I personally dont believe we would see him in the same type of space to do what he does best. I dont see any real similarities between him and Munster tbh. I could probably see him doing a similar job to Wighton possibly, but i still doubt it. I still dont think he has the game for it but it would be interesting to see if he can develop there, but not for the big money he wants.

The big thing is though is his next contract for me. If he plays 6, he isnt worth elite money as he has done nothing as a six to warrant it. He has to prove himself over a couple of years imo. If he plays center, he isnt really worth this rumoured $800k a year either. The big thing he has going for him really is the lack of decent centers on the market.

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
I'm calling it now, Staggs won't be as good at 5/8 as he can be in the centers or back row. I don't think he has the game or the smarts for it personally. And if he wants to be a 5/8 he can't be asking for anything more than 400/450k a year either until he proves he can play the position well for a couple of years. If we even contemplate paying him elite money to play in the halves right now we need our heads looking at.
Wolfie, where has all this Staggs to 5/8 come from. I've just been thinking it's a forum fan fantasy thing but has someone with real knowledge or Staggs himself saying it???

Mustafur

QCup Player
Shitney
The only time we Have seen Staggs play a full game at Half from memory was when he played in the Tonga vs Australia game when Tonga won(and his kicking game was very good too).

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
Wolfie, where has all this Staggs to 5/8 come from. I've just been thinking it's a forum fan fantasy thing but has someone with real knowledge or Staggs himself saying it???
I think Kevvie mentioned it, and a fair few on here ( probably better judges than me! ) seem to be in favour.

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
I think Kevvie mentioned it, and a fair few on here ( probably better judges than me! ) seem to be in favour.
Fair enough. As a fan I've thought Isaako could handle a 5/8 role but with absolutely nothing to back that view! Well, nothing solid other than his size and footwork. I still remember his brilliant run in traffic to score a try.

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Been watching him for years now and i just dont see it. I dont see any attributes in his game to make me think he will be a good 5/8. Munster at ISC level always had the elusive footwork and ball skills so you could see with a bit of development he could play 5/8. Kotoni's game is all about pace and power. I personally dont believe we would see him in the same type of space to do what he does best. I dont see any real similarities between him and Munster tbh. I could probably see him doing a similar job to Wighton possibly, but i still doubt it. I still dont think he has the game for it but it would be interesting to see if he can develop there, but not for the big money he wants.

The big thing is though is his next contract for me. If he plays 6, he isnt worth elite money as he has done nothing as a six to warrant it. He has to prove himself over a couple of years imo. If he plays center, he isnt really worth this rumoured $800k a year either. The big thing he has going for him really is the lack of decent centers on the market.
Agreed money wise he shouldn't get 5/8 money, I'd be happy with $500k for 2 years with a third mutual so they could renegotiate if needed.
I'm definitely not saying he will be a Munster clone , but his ability to break tackles and drag defenses in isnt to different. Im more than happy to give him a fair crack at it , and trust kevies instincts on this one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Billd0856

Twitter