Staggs Walters Riki

1988bronco

1988bronco

BRL Player
Nov 18, 2019
Been so impressed with these guys this year, ofc the big guns like hass carrigan Reyno etc have all been great as expected, but I was genuily questioning the value of these 3 at the end of last year.

I think all of them have stepped up and really justified their place in the team this year..

Probably was a little harsh to demand too much from Riki last year being so young but he has came along in leaps and bounds.

Staggs has always been a gun with Xfactor and although he still makes some questionable decisions I think he is starting to justify his pay packet on a more consistent basis now.

And although Billy isn't an eliete hooker, he is doing his job and the cohesion between him and the spine is slowly improving with each game

I was critical of Staggs and Riki .
Both have improved . More involvement from Staggs and better running from Riki .
We know now both played while injured last season . Tough , but didn`t allow them to shine .

Been loving the tough runs staggs has been taking, it just looks like he is finding a way to get involved more in that aspect of the game rather then just waiting for ball in space and being shut out of contributing if he doesn't get it, also his defence has been solid he is tackling with good intent.

Well said mate.
Riki has been the biggest improver for us. I only wish Payne had the same aggression, he would be unstoppable.
Staggs looks like he is finally over his injuries, mentally more than anything.
And Billy, well yes he's the coach's son and all the stigma that comes with that. However no one can deny that of late he has been performing well and it is great to see. He always tries so hard and is now starting to see the reward for his work in what is his first season as a full time hooker, not a make shift half.

Staggs still needs to step up consistently. The kick off returns are a lot of fun to watch and make sense, as he has far more room to move than a forward would after a pass. If it is a game plan from the coach, it's pretty intelligent.

Riki's kick chases are a thing of beauty. The timing is ridiculous and teams genuinely fear him. I'm sure they'll start running him off the line in the next few rounds, hopefully earning us penalties.

And Walters has been great. Firstly, his defense is top tier. He's putting big hits on some big fellas and getting them on their backs. But what has really stood out is his pass accuracy. He might miss a couple but the speed and where the ball lands has improved dramatically.

It's been a while since we've seen improvement in any player. Kevin Walters deserves a lot of praise for this.

Staggs hasn't done enough this year for me to stand up and take notice. I do expect more from him then I do Rikki or Walters.
Walters has upped his game this year and has really performed strongly this past month. Because of that Paix minutes have dropped. Not a good sign for him
Rikki has been great. So much talent and we saw it inconsistently but he's definitely showing it this year. Holds on the the ball now and it's great!

Agree 100%

Ofc there is better hookers in the competition but given we have reyno walsh n mamm now we don't necessarily need a marque hooker,
2 solid guys like Billy n Paix is viable if they play their roles right..

Also we have Mozer in waiting, if he turns out to be a marquee 9 and we can lock him up on a long deal for reasonable $.. the future is looking bright as it stands.

Staggs hasn't done enough this year for me to stand up and take notice. I do expect more from him then I do Rikki or Walters.
Walters has upped his game this year and has really performed strongly this past month. Because of that Paix minutes have dropped. Not a good sign for him
Rikki has been great. So much talent and we saw it inconsistently but he's definitely showing it this year. Holds on the the ball now and it's great!
I do agree there is still more room for improvement for staggs but feel like he is trending in the right direction.

He isn't ever going to be that guy who does massive numbers or stand out in every game but on his day he can blow a game open and possibly be the diffenrce in a big finals game..

Def sad to lose herbie tho, he has been amazing.

Staggs has been more defensively impressive even though the stats say otherwise, his attack has been missing for many games but his involvement has increased which is what we have wanted, the last game against sharks though was Staggs at his best just being a wrecking ball, I don't think you will ever see him be at that level consistently though.

Riki has been the biggest change, he's easily our best backrower and a huge reason we win field position with his kick chase and he is doing this very consistently.

Billy has been slowly adding to his game and is quite good defensively now, the game against the Sharks was easily his best ever game, he had it all and was too much for Sharks to handle.

I honestly think it's hard to argue that Riki has ever been anything less than good - he's been pretty consistent since his debut. I think he had a couple of big plays early on in his career - I seem to remember him running a good line and scoring a try from thirty or forty metres out - which I think created false expectations. When he wasn't doing that or running for 100+ metres every week he copped some criticism over his value in the team, but he always did what was asked of or needed from him, and did it well.

Having said that, he has progressed in leaps and bounds this year, and he is a great advertisement for being patient and giving young guys the space to develop.

I feel like those three are just getting better every week too. Riki seems to grow another foot taller every time he plays and Staggs started the season getting dominated in his carries from yardage, now he's bowling blokes over. Very impressive to see how much a bit of confidence does to his game.

Walters has been who i have been most impressed with. Never professed to be a 9, in his first full season as a 9 with a pre-season under his belt. He is notably better than last year and appears to continue growing in confidence. I thought the initial scrutiny on Walters was very harsh considering he had been inserted in the spot to solve a problem for us.

If he continues to improve we are going to be in a good place. Funny hearing Billy Salter talk about him as a key player for us. Injuries to Harry Grant and Reid Mahoney and he would probably be in the frame for an origin jumper... Crazy

Staggs still needs to step up consistently. The kick off returns are a lot of fun to watch and make sense, as he has far more room to move than a forward would after a pass. If it is a game plan from the coach, it's pretty intelligent.

Riki's kick chases are a thing of beauty. The timing is ridiculous and teams genuinely fear him. I'm sure they'll start running him off the line in the next few rounds, hopefully earning us penalties.

And Walters has been great. Firstly, his defense is top tier. He's putting big hits on some big fellas and getting them on their backs. But what has really stood out is his pass accuracy. He might miss a couple but the speed and where the ball lands has improved dramatically.

It's been a while since we've seen improvement in any player. Kevin Walters deserves a lot of praise for this.

Riki's kick chase has become elite. If he can add a bit more to his game elsewhere we turn a solid back rower into a pretty good one.

Hooker power rankings right now:

1. Grant
2. Cook
3. Koraisau
4. Walters

I just don't think there is anyone else, right now, who is going better at 9 than Walters. Maybe Mahoney but that's it.

I wonder how much Riki’s off season from hell made him grow up And gain some perspective on life: ie things that are hard, living in the moment etc.

Cos he has come back a different player, he seems more mature and committed.

Staggs and Walters I feel have really gone to the next level along with the rest of the team. Not unlike the cowboys last year where winning breeds confidence and confidence breeds success.

Hooker power rankings right now:

1. Grant
2. Cook
3. Koraisau
4. Walters

I just don't think there is anyone else, right now, who is going better at 9 than Walters. Maybe Mahoney but that's it.
Theres a few others. Marshall King has to be up there and probably in front of cook. Robson as well I think despite playing in a losing cowboys outfit

Robson had a really good game against the storm too.

I think if Billy can have a few more good games I would have him over Mahoney on the Origin backup list, Reed has been bad with missed tackles and if say Hunt was out I would be scared to have him start.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Brocko
  • Skathen
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.