State of Origin Game 1 - QLD vs NSW

It's kind of bordering on fact man. Wallace was useless.
I thought they were both quite poor. I just thought Wallace was better than Napa - but that’s just my opinion.

Regardless of that, I couldn’t care less if people have different opinions to me - in fact I think it’s great. It’s what fosters constructive conversation.

How they deliver them though, that’s a different story. I can’t stand people thinking their opinion (because this is not black and white, it is entirely subjective) is somehow more valid than someone else’s and that everyone else who dares to have a different one is somehow inferior.

As an example specific to this very topic; NRL.com suggests Wallace was better. Fox Sports suggests Napa was better. Two different writers, two different opinions. I personally think the NRL.com review is closer to the mark.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/06...i-player-ratings-inglis-leads-from-the-front/

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...8/news-story/780accebbc1ca77ce3ba82b2e18a7b18

Stats from NRL.com even suggest the stats on Fox Sports are incorrect. Regardless, as I said in my original comment, we are very light on for props as they were both well short of what we needed last night.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/06...nsland-maroons-need-more-from-starting-props/

Last edited:
The missed tackle stats are a bit misleading IMO. Teddy was bouncing across field lots and our guys didn't want come out of the line hence a lot of arm grabs.
That's not to say were weren't shit but the stat on its own makes worse reading.

The penalty count tells me that they knew something we didn't.
How do the refs publicly announce that they will ref the same as they have all year then when they go to sleep on us in the ruck only find 1 penalty in the whole game.
We are back to this shit now with 2 very even teams and refs legging up NSW .

I can honestly look at that game and say we were not better than them and they took advantage of there chances which included some obviously wrong decisions.

Funny, usually I’m depressed after an origin loss but today I don’t feel anything. I’m more upset after a broncos loss these days. Maybe the 2015 incident has numbed me.

I really enjoyed watching Inglis last night, he was very inspiring. NSW will be better for the run and will be much improved next game, I can’t see how we can win with these guys.

I still can’t believe Cam Smith didn’t let Kevvie plan properly for his departure.

As always I hope ben hunt will be the half back we need but every time, especially in origin, he proves that he is missing the sinews required to make the plays.

Gus kept commenting last night that the NSW forwards weren't putting on big hits all the time when QLD were coming out of their end, but I thought that was a big part of why they won.

We were focused on big hits rather than hitting and sticking. NSW were focused on hitting and sticking. Their first contact was mostly always spot on. They weren't bouncing off tackles as much as us. They were just getting numbers in the tackle and wrapping up the ball.

Funny, usually I’m depressed after an origin loss but today I don’t feel anything. I’m more upset after a broncos loss these days. Maybe the 2015 incident has numbed me.

I really enjoyed watching Inglis last night, he was very inspiring. NSW will be better for the run and will be much improved next game, I can’t see how we can win with these guys.

I still can’t believe Cam Smith didn’t let Kevvie plan properly for his departure.
Origin lost it's relevance many years ago. The standard is lower than most club games. The passion is non-existent.

I feel the same, it's peculiar isn't it? Up until now I would be stressing big time about origin when watching it. Heart in my mouth, edge of the seat etc. Last night it didn't feel as special. I still enjoyed the spectacle though.

I feel the same, it's peculiar isn't it? Up until now I would be stressing big time about origin when watching it. Heart in my mouth, edge of the seat etc. Last night it didn't feel as special. I still enjoyed the spectacle though.
Yes, I enjoyed the game immensely. But when we lost just went meh and went to bed.
Normally I would struggle sleeping after a loss like that, I’d be upset about the refs and chambers being a spaz, but now I don’t really care. I do enjoy watching it with the kids though, and I hope they love origin as much as I did when I was a kid.

I think the reason some of us are not so phaised about last nights result is because we have proper dominated NSW for over a decade now. Hell, we can afford to lose a series or 2 after those glory years.

Maybe we did destroy Origin with our dominance. It all feels a bit of an anti climax for us spoiled Queenslanders now. I havent written us off for this series. And one thing is for sure if we do lose... we won't be down for long. QLD will rebuild and get that QLD passion again, and so will us fans.

Last edited:
It constantly feels like we are getting rorted. But that’s probably my tin foil hat.

I still really enjoyed it. I do wonder if some QLD supporters will start acting like Blues fans did in saying origin means nothing anymore/dead/not enjoyable simply because we aren’t winning anymore. Seems a bit like spoilt tantrums to me.

Dont get me wrong, i still love origin and still believe its the hardest and fastest game in the sport but I was laying on the couch last night and not really too excited it was on last night. I am too in the Broncos category where i have the shits more if Brisbane lose and would much rather see a premiership than an origin win

I still really enjoyed it. I do wonder if some QLD supporters will start acting like Blues fans did in saying origin means nothing anymore/dead/not enjoyable simply because we aren’t winning anymore. Seems a bit like spoilt tantrums to me.
Remains to be seen I suppose. Any true supporter is gonna feel something and still watch the games no matter the results. Those NSW supporters still cared/were still interested no matter what they say to us after the game/series.

I still care to some extent about Aussie Rugby Union even after some dark years haha.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I'm quite enjoying the different team dynamic and the all the discussion on what the team should be. The good thing is, there are plenty of spots up for grabs now so any one of the fringe players can force their way in and make it their own of they're good enough. NSW are in a similar spot. Very intriguing.

Some of those hits Inglis made last night remind me of Gilly's effort in 1989 that led to a drop ball from NSW and a famous try to Wally Lewis.

Last edited:
Except Inglis is twice the size. I was nicknamed the axe in high school and I was so proud!

I credit my old man tbh; I had so much pent up aggression from his beatings.

Oh definitely what he did was amazing but it shows you what great tackling technique can achieve, they didn't call him the axe for nothing. I'm not trying to take away anything from him, it was just great to see those sort of hits again.

Has there been a replay showing that Inglis was offside after that tackle yet?

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.