State of Origin Game 1 - QLD vs NSW

Holmes and Gagai were good. Don't know if Oates would've made any difference.

Oates doesn't score that try in the first half.

The people saying it was luck, well luck had nothing to do with it. He knew that play was coming before Maloney even passed the ball, he played with Maloney for 2 years and scored tries off that very play. He read it very well.

I thought he would've been used at the back end of both halves but I agree bringing him on with 15 to go when we're up against it makes it tough for him to stand out. it's basically a hail mary, rather than a tactical play. I was critical of Milf's first game for Qld and while he didn't do anything in this game either, he's got a bit of an excuse here.

He should have been on when Cook was down. That was our moment.

Hunt definitely looked like he was playing injured. I'd definitely be sticking with those 2 for now, both looked really threatening at times. Morgan was good, but we really missed Slater as a link man at the back.

Let's not kid ourselves, you can't miss 40+ tackles in a normal Rugby League game, much less Origin, and expect to win. If only by that measure, the roaches deserved the win. But there was more to it, and they used Tedesco really well in the ruck, where he continuously popped up and ran through holes and arm grab tackle attempts. That was the big difference, and Kevvie has a job to do to tighten the middle up for the rest of the series.

That said, taking the refereeing into account (especially the Videoref impacting the game with decisions going one way only, like the repeat set for Qld being turned into a 7 tackle set for the NSW'kers, and ignoring anything that would benefit Qld, such as the Gagai strip for example), the abysmal defense, and probably the weakest team we've put on the park in the last 15 years or so, losing by 10 is actually relatively encouraging. I don't think this series is done just yet...

Real captain's knock by GI, but overal poor performance from most players, a bit like last year's first game.

I'd like to see Macca and Hunt share the hooker position. Let Andrew take the initial onslaught in both halves, with Hunt as the utility (not because he was particularly bad this game), and bring him in after 15/20 minutes each time to give some spark to our attack from dummy half.
Play Munster at the back, Milf at 6 and Morgan 7 until Taylor (or another proper halfback without Cherry in his name) is ready, then move Morgan to Chambers position if he keeps showing signs of slowing down.
Gillo will slot back in to shore up that right side with Papalii on the left and Moose in the lock position, leaving Napa, Hess, Kaufusi, Arrow, Ofa and Wallace to fight for the starting prop and bench positions.

I honestly thought we would miss Oates work from the back more than we did... I can't see the bloke getting a game unless one of Gagai / Homes gets injured.

Didn't read the the rest of the thread but were everyone's thoughts on T Turbo try? Double movement? Did Munster have a hand on him?

The rule book says it's technically no try, but can't change it now.

The thing is, even if you do have momentum, you cannot promote the ball at all when a player has a hand on you and Munster did at that time. You must allow momentum to take you over the line.

This is why Ese'ese was denied that try in 2016.

The rule book says it's technically no try, but can't change it now.

The thing is, even if you do have momentum, you cannot promote the ball at all when a player has a hand on you and Munster did at that time. You must allow momentum to take you over the line.

This is why Ese'ese was denied that try in 2016.
I thought he definitely promoted the ball with a second effort while Munster had a hand on him. Rabbits started to bring it up in the commentary but none of the other peanuts wanted to go there so he dropped it.

Take that hand on the ball that the refs didn't penalise and called as a loose carry by Gagai, along with maloneys forward pass to Addo-Carr and its a different outcome.
The big one for mine was that Gagai "loose carry." We were on top, and gaining momentum, then they come up with that pathetic call, NSW score and momentum massively swings.
The difference is Kevvie comes out in the presser and says we had nothing to complain about regarding the refs, I can only imagine if it was the Blues that lost from those 2 shocking calls..

5-1 penalty count, and 53 missed tackles by QLD def didnt help us.
[HASHTAG]#pongaforgame2[/HASHTAG]

Let's not kid ourselves, you can't miss 40+ tackles in a normal Rugby League game, much less Origin, and expect to win. If only by that measure, the roaches deserved the win. But there was more to it, and they used Tedesco really well in the ruck, where he continuously popped up and ran through holes and arm grab tackle attempts. That was the big difference, and Kevvie has a job to do to tighten the middle up for the rest of the series.

That said, taking the refereeing into account (especially the Videoref impacting the game with decisions going one way only, like the repeat set for Qld being turned into a 7 tackle set for the NSW'kers, and ignoring anything that would benefit Qld, such as the Gagai strip for example), the abysmal defense, and probably the weakest team we've put on the park in the last 15 years or so, losing by 10 is actually relatively encouraging. I don't think this series is done just yet...

Real captain's knock by GI, but overal poor performance from most players, a bit like last year's first game.

I'd like to see Macca and Hunt share the hooker position. Let Andrew take the initial onslaught in both halves, with Hunt as the utility (not because he was particularly bad this game), and bring him in after 15/20 minutes each time to give some spark to our attack from dummy half.
Play Munster at the back, Milf at 6 and Morgan 7 until Taylor (or another proper halfback without Cherry in his name) is ready, then move Morgan to Chambers position if he keeps showing signs of slowing down.
Gillo will slot back in to shore up that right side with Papalii on the left and Moose in the lock position, leaving Napa, Hess, Kaufusi, Arrow, Ofa and Wallace to fight for the starting prop and bench positions.

I honestly thought we would miss Oates work from the back more than we did... I can't see the bloke getting a game unless one of Gagai / Homes gets injured.

giphy.gif

Nailed it.

I'm worried about Slater coming back to be honest. I think it's time to move on. Bringing him back now is just going to disrupt building for the future.

giphy.gif

Nailed it.

I'm worried about Slater coming back to be honest. I think it's time to move on. Bringing him back now is just going to disrupt building for the future.

Yeah, he needs to not play anymore. They're all gone now, leave it that way.

1. Munster
6. Milford
7. Hunt
9. Macca
14. Morgan

It's talk about miss tackles.
Cambers - 10
Munster - 8
Kaufusi - 8
Ben hunt - 5
Napa - 5

If I haven’t mentioned the player in this comment, I either believe they went OK or better than OK.

Chambers - awful. He’s supposed to be experienced but got outplayed by 2 / 3 NSW rookies tonight.
Wallace - pretty poor. Better than Napa though.
Napa - competing with Chambers for worst on ground, but Chambers has him. Boy, we are light on for props.
Cooper - solid but we need dynamic if we’re going to have bog average props. Kaufusi was much better in just about everything he did.
McGuire - I’m a massive fan of him, but he was underdone and was always a risk. Needs more miles in the legs to get the best out of him.
Hess - scratch my previous comments, easily worst on ground. More Jane than Dane Carlaw.
Milford - didn’t do anything wrong, but was wasted. Needs more time, he’s not a miracle worker.

EDIT: still proud to be a Queenslander. The boys tried hard, just need to a bit better and we’re still very much in with a chance.
Wallace, better than Napa ! FFS ! Such bias. Wallace made two soft hitups in the opening twenty ! He was a 2 maybe a 3. Napa was a 7 or 8. Blind.

Jarrod Wallace was dogshit last night. He made 5 runs for 36 meters. Absolute plodder.

Put him on notice.

Wallace, better than Napa ! FFS ! Such bias. Wallace made two soft hitups in the opening twenty ! He was a 2 maybe a 3. Napa was a 7 or 8. Blind.
Righto mate.

Your comment isn’t an overreaction at all.

I’m sorry I forgot that everyone must share the same OPINION as you.

My mistake, how could I forgot you’re always right.

Righto mate.

Your comment isn’t an overreaction at all.

I’m sorry I forgot that everyone must share the same OPINION as you.

My mistake, how could I forgot you’re always right.

It's kind of bordering on fact man. Wallace was useless.

Wallace was terrible. Napa wasnt much better. Napa has to play like a loose cannon to be effective.

That's such a weird one to blow up about considering they were both shit

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Brocko
  • Sproj
  • Manofoneway
  • Bucking Beads
  • azza.79
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Swordfish
  • GCBRONCO
  • BruiserMk1
  • Skathen
  • Santa
  • Xzei
  • Griffo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Dash
  • Financeguy
  • Broncorob
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.