State of Origin Game II - NSW vs QLD

To deafening silence, as usual.

I'd have no issue if they'd sent it up as no try btw......but they didn't. There was definite doubt in the "did he or didn't he" department therefore they have to go with the on field decision. Same with the penalty try really, but I'm less salty about that one.

I'm not getting the Taylor thing. You don't just throw someone a QLD jersey to see how they go unless you're NSW.
DCE is the only option at this point.

The disrespect being flung at Hunt is unbelievable. I mean people calling him a **** and useless etc etc it's pathetic TBH, he tried his arse off, he is not performing in the big moments but the personal stuff because we lost a game of footy is weak as piss.
Not one person dishing that crap out would take it themselves but to come on a forum and grow a set just makes me laugh.

Personal stuff? I haven't seen one person say anything 'personal' ie beyond footy related, whether that is physical or mental. People are entitled to their opinions, positive or negative.

DCE is the only option? All credibility = gone. There is a reason he doesn't get a run, and it has nothing to do with how he speaks to the media.

If it's DCE or Hunt, we are truly fucked. But it's not, because the series is done and dusted. So we look to next year. The next few weeks in club land are huge. If DCE carves up, he may well get the spot. If Hunt does, he may get it. But if Taylor has a dig, he's as entitled as both imo, same goes for Milf.

Dce and milf , munster to take chambers pozy. Ponga to play similer roll. Offa in for wallace and glasby in for papa.

I wonder if NSW is going to pick Roberts again next year. He's been poor in his 2 games so far. I love him playing for the Broncos, but he's too one dimensional for Origin at the moment IMO. Needs to develop his game like Hodges did. He can only really run around players, he doesn't hit holes well. Latrell Mitchell can't run around the defenders, but he can go through them like Inglis in his prime, and that seems to translate to Origin a lot better.

I hope Roberts keeps working on his game, he'll start to lose the speed at some point, and if he can't pick up something extra, he's going to get left behind.

Good point, and one I haven't seen mentioned too much. Roberts was ordinary. He was brought in for x factor and provided nothing. It shows what stiff defence does to his game. Agree totally.

That said, I totally think he has another gear in him.

Personal stuff? I haven't seen one person say anything 'personal' ie beyond footy related, whether that is physical or mental. People are entitled to their opinions, positive or negative.

DCE is the only option? All credibility = gone. There is a reason he doesn't get a run, and it has nothing to do with how he speaks to the media.

If it's DCE or Hunt, we are truly fucked. But it's not, because the series is done and dusted. So we look to next year. The next few weeks in club land are huge. If DCE carves up, he may well get the spot. If Hunt does, he may get it. But if Taylor has a dig, he's as entitled as both imo, same goes for Milf.

Say who you think mate don't half say it. Who would you pick if it was up to you?

**** is an insult, and insults are the result of emotion. This we can forgive.

Useless...well, he fit that definition are far as QLD number 7's go.

Say who you think mate don't half say it. Who would you pick if it was up to you?

I don't know to be perfectly honest, I won't claim to, in hindsight or with foresight. But I did say beforehand, and was vindicated, that Hunt can't hack the pressure.

So not him.

The other options are DCE, Taylor, Milf or something else entirely. I would take any of those over Hunt, because he is a proven big game choker, like it or not.

I'm not getting the Taylor thing. You don't just throw someone a QLD jersey to see how they go unless you're NSW.
DCE is the only option at this point.

The disrespect being flung at Hunt is unbelievable. I mean people calling him a **** and useless etc etc it's pathetic TBH, he tried his arse off, he is not performing in the big moments but the personal stuff because we lost a game of footy is weak as piss.
Not one person dishing that crap out would take it themselves but to come on a forum and grow a set just makes me laugh.

He tried his little heart out so we can't be big meanies to him? I am pathetic, I am an asshole, whatever, I don't care, because Ben Hunt is meant to be a halfback, and he's shit at it. And he played a massive role in QLD not retaining the shield, so he deserves to be called out on it.

Trying hard might work in under 7s, but it certainly doesn't work in State of Origin when you're well, well into your career as a "halfback". I believe he has always been, and will continue to be, a useless halfback.

And yes, the next time he stinks it up, I'll probably call him a **** too. But that is what it is, I call everyone *****.

Last edited:
Good point, and one I haven't seen mentioned too much. Roberts was ordinary. He was brought in for x factor and provided nothing. It shows what stiff defence does to his game. Agree totally.

That said, I totally think he has another gear in him.

I still think it's expecting too much from Roberts to simply just pass it to him early and pray for a miracle. A centre can only be as damaging as his halves allow him to be. Imagine how deadly Roberts would be playing outside Lockyer.

I'd have no issue if they'd sent it up as no try btw......but they didn't. There was definite doubt in the "did he or didn't he" department therefore they have to go with the on field decision. Same with the penalty try really, but I'm less salty about that one.

They tried to make it look conclusive with the side by side angle. I'm right there with you.

I still think it's expecting too much from Roberts to simply just pass it to him early and pray for a miracle. A centre can only be as damaging as his halves allow him to be. Imagine how deadly Roberts would be playing outside Lockyer.

Just on that point, did you (or anyone else) happen to see the Inglis origin tries segment on Fox yesterday? I forgot how involved Locky was in his earily origin tries. That said, I agree, I keep reading on here (and from Renouf and others) just give Roberts early ball and he'll do the rest. No. That's not how games, or momentum within games, works. Roberts tried to do his out of the box stuff last night, running to the centre looking for an offload, but QLD were all over it. Roberts was stifled last night due to lack of involvement in creative plays. This is where he excels.

He tried his little heart out so we can't be big meanies to him? I am pathetic, I am an asshole, whatever, I don't care, because Ben Hunt is meant to be a halfback, and he's shit at it. And he played a massive role in QLD not retaining the shield, so he deserves to be called out on it.

Trying hard might work in under 7s, but it certainly doesn't work in State of Origin when you're well, well into your career as a "halfback". I believe he has always been, and will continue to be, a useless halfback.

And yes, the next time he stinks it up, I'll probably call him a **** too. But that is what it is, I call everyone *****.

Just on that point, did you (or anyone else) happen to see the Inglis origin tries segment on Fox yesterday? I forgot how involved Locky was in his earily origin tries. That said, I agree, I keep reading on here (and from Renouf and others) just give Roberts early ball and he'll do the rest. No. That's not how games, or momentum within games, works. Roberts tried to do his out of the box stuff last night, running to the centre looking for an offload, but QLD were all over it. Roberts was stifled last night due to lack of involvement in creative plays. This is where he excels.

I still remember when hodges first came back to the broncos. He and Lockyer ran riot on that right hand side because Lockyer knew how to ball play and utilise hodges at the right moments. He rarely just passed it to hodges for the sake of giving hodges more ball.

1. Slater (c)
2. Oates
3. Inglis
4. Gagai
5. Holmes
6. Munster
7. DCE
8. Napa
9. Hunt
10. McGuire
11. Cooper
12. Kaufusi
13. Arrow

14. Ponga
15. Wallace
16. Joe O
17. Papalii

This is what should happen, but won't. Wallace deserves demotion to the bench as a shot across the bow, get McGuire out of Lock and back into Prop and give Arrow and Joe O their due. I don't think much of Inglis as captain. He has a bit of Boyd about him when shit doesn't go his way. Slater showed a lot more leadership and effort last night.

Regardless, QLD's stocks are suddenly looking very thin following the retirement of the Immortals. This is pretty much the best side we can field at this time and it's several degrees of magnitude worse than what we've come to expect over the dynasty period, especially in the front row. God damn does it suck compared to the Blues. The injury to Gillett has not helped matters either.

I guess it was always bound to happen, and personally I think the timing serves Broncos fans well. It's time to put Origin on the shelf and focus on what matters, the Provan Summons.

Cleary doesn't matter, Morkel. So he played bad in a crucial position and yet the Blues still won. What does that say about our mob?

Hunt was game losing terrible and McC was invisible. End of.

That just because a team won, doesn't mean their half played well. Otherwise Robbie Farah really was the world's best hooker in 2014.

Conversely, Hunt executing poorly on those occasions didn't lose us the game. It contributed, but the "we won't win an Origin game or series with Hunt at half" is nonsense.

The kick that went dead while they were down to 12 wasn't a bad play. The defence was right up in our faces, there was no fullback in sight (Tedesco was in the defensive line & Hunt knew that), and had it been a better kick it would genuinely have been a try-scoring opportunity. Execution let it down. It was the 3rd tackle, yes, but had Hunt waited until the last tackle, the winger would have been back, the fullback would have been waiting for a kick, etc. And if the argument there would be to run the ball, that's exactly what Hunt did the next opportunity - and Chambers gets it and kicks it dead almost on the full.

What's the difference between Hunt and Chambers? Hunt's plays weren't brain farts - they were poor execution of genuine try-scoring opportunities. That's Hunt's job, to decide what plays happen where. Chambers, why is he kicking full-stop? The final kick, he was under pressure and got away a dud kick, that's not the worst thing. But the kick on the 4th when we were on the half way, and the other dud kick on the 3rd when we were attacking their line. They're not just dud plays, they're not Chambers' plays to make. He's making errors by going outside the scope of what his job is, and that's what kills a team.

The halves pairing was wrong from the beginning IMO. It is no surprise that Hunt is playing well beside Widdop at club level. Widdop does a lot of the organization and a lot of the field kicking. Munster isn't up to that level as a half. It is a huge problem when both of your halves strength is their running game and they both have ordinary kicking games. Unfortunately Ben is just no up to Origin level and he may even crumble in other big games into the future.

Time to pick Ash Taylor as he is the best option for what we need. His form hasn't been great but he's still better than DCE.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Broncosgirl
  • Financeguy
  • Sproj
  • RolledOates
  • Broncorob
  • Lozza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Browny
  • Ozired
  • TimWhatley
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Johnny92
  • Strop
  • armchair
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fozz
  • Alec
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.