Storm salary cap dramas

Discussion in 'Rugby League Talk' started by I bleed Maroon, Feb 26, 2019.

1. I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon State of Origin Rep

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...s/news-story/0f32d221d6455f24216774f0355d2fc3

Appropriately big fat Dobbo warning on this one, and I highly doubt Melbourne will be forced to sit out Round 1 (especially in light of the fact that means an automatic 2 points for us lol yeah right that'll happen) but 600k over the cap weeks out from a season is pretty much unforgivable coming from the likes of the purple scum. I mean fair dinkem talk about recidivists.

Tags:
  2. Watch the NRL allow Smith to retire, and his wage be exempt.

GKDonkey and I bleed Maroon like this.
  3. Old Mate

Old Mate NRL Player

I’ve got no issues with that.

4. I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon State of Origin Rep

Suits me down to the ground. Storm without Smith are prime game

LGH likes this.
  5. broncsgoat

broncsgoat NRL Player

Suck shit Smith, him holding out for so long on re-signing has got them into a bind. Lol

abashii, Tom and LGH like this.
  6. Alec

Alec International Rep

Every time I see shit like this I get more mad because it's not the **** Roosters. How are they still not caught?

LGH likes this.
  7. Morkel

Morkel

I don't feel sorry for the Storm one bit, but it sounds like Smith may have put them in the same position as they were in the late '00s. I recall an article (using info from Waldron?) where they wrote about what went on during the Inglis negotiations. Where they'd basically done the deal, and then Inglis just kind of went "um, can I get a boat for my Uncle" or something like that, and the Storm were so desperate to keep him happy that they just went "yep" and gave him / his manager the details of someone who could sort it out.

You get the impression that not only do the Storm need Cam Smith, but Smith knows it. At a time where the next generation need to be retained, a genuine clubman would stay for less, especially after a Testimonial Game, Testimonial Dinners, and, y'know, the million+ a year he's been able to get for so long. But I guess you don't get to be the best by doing anything less than 100%, so it would appear that he's received his two-year, big dollar contract, and does not care if he cripples the club now, or in the future.

A couple of years ago I don't think he would have done it. But now that he's had to make a deal with the Devil (the media) to keep his private life just that, and watched as his close friendships with Slater and Cronk completely disintegrate, it seems Rugby League is just a job to him that he needs to squeeze what he can out of.

abashii likes this.
  8. CaptainHook

CaptainHook NRL Player

The Melbourne Storm deserve salary cap exemptions.

Let's stop pretending it's a level playing field.

9. Sproj

Sproj

Wasn’t there that rumor that four sides were in salary cap trouble?

So: Sharks, Storm, Tigers and who?

10. Accept

Accept NRL Player

Sawtell
    Canterbury.

Sproj likes this.
  11. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

25% of the comp over salary cap. at what point do they just go **** it, it's a free for all. i wonder what would happen if clubs united and said yeah we're just gonna do what we want as far as salaries are concerned. would the comp be suspended?

12. Accept

Accept NRL Player

Sawtell
    Which club is going to agree to that? No one can compete with Brisbane in that regard. The salary cap is a good thing but the game is polluted by deception and incompetence.

13. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

Whether or not the salary cap is a good thing I don't think is relevant, it's clear that a good portion of clubs are not following it anyway so it does raise the question of whether it's achieving its goal? Clubs aren't operating on a level playing field.

14. Sproj

Sproj

I think the NRL should hire the Roosters accounting team, they would know every which way to get in and around the cap. And then hire the Storm's accounting team so they can compare how not to do it and keep getting caught.

15. The scumbags at it again. Penalties should be harsher on these fucks because they've done it before. Hopefully NRL has the balls to make them sit out until they are compliant.

16. ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak NRL Captain

Sort of related-

So, if there's no clause and he decides to hang up the boots after 2019, the Storm must carry his 2020 half of the contract in their cap for that year, right? There will be no career ending injury so the precedent is there with Watmough.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/27...oor-open-for-cameron-smith-to-retire-in-2019/

17. Morkel

Morkel

Quite different. Watmough was "willing" to play, despite being completely busted.

18. Foordy

Foordy

If Smith retires the Storm won't have to carry any of his 2020 contract value on their cap.

except if he retires after November 1 and starts getting paid his 2020 money ... in that case they will likely have to carry whatever they have already paid to Smith, from his 2020 salary