Su'A ready to re-sign with Broncos

How many halves have the Broncos used since 2000 trying to solve the number seven riddle?

Alf, Shane Walker, Berrigan, Perry, Alf again, Alf again, Thaiday, Ikin, Ikin again, Perry, Perry again, Wallace, Hunt, Carroll, Kevvie then Kevvie again.

If you don't think it's been a problem since Alf retired I am unsure what you think a positional problem looks like.
Lol... how many years was it truly a problem for us? Did we need a talented and controlling half with lockyer there? 2006 proved no, we do have a salary cap anyway btw-we arent the storm. He retired in 2011. We got bennett back in 2015, so hes had 3 years to sort out a halfback-but we had the most exciting halves pairing in the comp for 2015 and half of 2016. We didnt know hunt was going until 2017. Our main issue since he came back was our forwards, NOW its our halves-and its only JUST become the main issue.

Lol... how many years was it truly a problem for us? Did we need a talented and controlling half with lockyer there? 2006 proved no, we do have a salary cap anyway btw-we arent the storm. He retired in 2011. We got bennett back in 2015, so hes had 3 years to sort out a halfback-but we had the most exciting halves pairing in the comp for 2015 and half of 2016. We didnt know hunt was going until 2017. Our main issue since he came back was our forwards, NOW its our halves-and its only JUST become the main issue.

I disagree that's it's just become an issue. Broncos haven't developed a consistent high quality half since 2000. The fact I can rattle off 15 names that have played 7 in those 18 years backs that up. If the position had been filled to a high standard you'd be naming two guys.

2000 is just because Kevvie filled in, otherwise it would be 1999.

It's a hard position to fill I acknowledge that but impossible to have success without it. Broncos lucked into Alf at just the right time but other than that it's been a problem.

Might be a wider league problem, developing high quality halves is hard to do, it certainly seemed easier once. Like ball playing forwards it's a lost skill sometimes.

Still can't believe that, given some of the high quality players we've bought in from elsewhere over the years, the Broncs recruitment team missed JT in their own Toowoomba backyard.

I can cut them slack, thought don't really want to, for Slater and Smith as they tried, they just got in too late, etc but the JT one is just gobsmacking.

Interesting thought, pick a random year and have a look at the halves in the finals.

Raiders- Stuart and Daley
Manly- Lyons and Toovey
Norths- Jackson and Florimo
Wests- Taylor and Langmack
Penrith- Carter and Alexander

All played Origin, All bar Taylor and Carter played Tests, all bar Taylor and Florimo won comps- Jackson at Souths.

What will the halves quality be in 2018? If you took the top five right now would it be anywhere near that quality?

Panthers May and Luai
Sharks Moylan and Townsend
Souths- Walker and Reynolds
Storm- Jacks and Hughes
Dragons- Widdop and Hunt

Interesting.

I disagree that's it's just become an issue. Broncos haven't developed a consistent high quality half since 2000. The fact I can rattle off 15 names that have played 7 in those 18 years backs that up. If the position had been filled to a high standard you'd be naming two guys.

2000 is just because Kevvie filled in, otherwise it would be 1999.

It's a hard position to fill I acknowledge that but impossible to have success without it. Broncos lucked into Alf at just the right time but other than that it's been a problem.

Might be a wider league problem, developing high quality halves is hard to do, it certainly seemed easier once. Like ball playing forwards it's a lost skill sometimes.
I dont disagree that we havent had a quality number 7 (outside of hunt for nearly 2 years until the mental demons got him). I am saying there is no way it was our main problem/need when we had lockyer running the show anyway. Also pointing out that bennett hasnt been around to fix it once it has become an issue and initially when he came back we had it covered with milford and hunt. Our main problem since he came back was the forwards, hunt and milford were more then adequate, in fact they were rated the best/2nd/3rd best pairing in the game for 2015/16 by many good judges. He has taken care of the first problem, and judging by who our most exciting under 18 prospects are, he is now moving onto this next problem..

Interesting thought, pick a random year and have a look at the halves in the finals.

Manly- Lyons and Toovey

All played Origin, All bar Taylor and Carter played Tests, all bar Taylor and Florimo won comps- Jackson at Souths.

What will the halves quality be in 2018? If you took the top five right now would it be anywhere near that quality?

Panthers May and Luai
Storm- Jacks and Hughes
Dragons- Widdop and Hunt

Interesting.
Seems like coaches just want athletes these days. Very few genuine footballers around now. Also the way they coach them doesn't help.

Manly- Lyons and Toovey

Panthers May and Luai
Storm- Jacks and Hughes
Dragons- Widdop and Hunt

Interesting.
But thats the origin week. Penrith have maloney and cleary to come back in, and melbourne have munster. Also rooster will likely be somewhere in that top 5-they have cronk and keary.

While i also think halves arent as well groomed and developed these days as in previous years i dont think its as bad as that made it look. I think its a blend of bigger bodies in the game, less fatigue due to manipultation of the ruck and rules and player fitness improvements, more professional and more pressure so players arent as willing to take risks or be allowed to make mistakes, and more video and research being done for improved defence which doesnt allow the talent to be shown...

Still can't believe that, given some of the high quality players we've bought in from elsewhere over the years, the Broncs recruitment team missed JT in their own Toowoomba backyard.

I can cut them slack, thought don't really want to, for Slater and Smith as they tried, they just got in too late, etc but the JT one is just gobsmacking.
It's worse than that, he's from Brisbane. He played his first senior game at Sunnybank.

It's starting to annoy me that all of these players are "ready" to re-sign or "hoping" to re-sign with the Broncos..

How about we put a fucking pen to paper boys? We literally haven't re-signed a single player officially this season.

I definitely hope he stays ... IMO a starting pack of

8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Su'A
12. Gillett
13. Pangai Jnr

would be the best in the league (if need be you could easily swap TPJ and McGuire, but i think there skills are better suited to those positions)

Moist...

Active Now

• ezpz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Yem
  • Xzei
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Skathen
  • broncsgoat
  • simplythebest
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Johnny92
  • Jazza
  • Dazza 92
  • Broncorob
  • Nerd
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncsNBundy
  • LittleDavey
  • winslow_wong
  • Brotherdu
  • Strop
... and 45 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.