Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Pangait

Su'A ready to re-sign with Broncos

July 13, 2018

Back-rower Jaydn Su’A says he is on track to re-sign with Brisbane as he targets holding down a starting position long-term to play alongside a suite of the best young forwards seen at the club.

The 20-year-old is off contract at the end of the season and his management has received interest from other NRL clubs. But the Broncos are determined not to let him leave after watching his development skyrocket in what has been a breakout season.

Su’A, who has been likened to Ben Te’o and a young Sonny Bill Williams for his punishing defence and powerful running game, took note when fellow free agent Jamayne Isaako said last week his aim was to be a Bronco for life.

"That is every kid’s dream to be a one-club player. That is what he wants to do and that is what I want to do," Su’A said.

"At the end of the day it is about where the best opportunity is and the best spot is to fulfil your potential. I want to stay here, if it is up to me."

Su’A is on track to get his wish and the stars have aligned for the Broncos' aspirations and his own to coincide.

The New Zealand-born forward has solidified himself as a starting back-rower each week.

Matt Gillett’s neck injury gave Su’A his opportunity and he's been in the run-on side the last nine games, with the Broncos winning seven.

Brisbane's pitch to Su'A is he is also in their plans as a starting forward.

"I forget about it until people remind me about it," he said. "It does play in the back of your head every now and then. I want to get it sorted out.

"I've been starting lately. Obviously Gillo has got to come back at some point but if I can keep doing my role and developing as a person and a player I don't see why I can't start. It is something I want to take on next year."

Gillett has been on the sidelines but Su'A said he had studied his fellow back-rower’s game and picked his brain.

"He tips me up all the time.

"Defensively I think sometimes I struggle under fatigue with my defensive movements and obviously you can’t look past Gillo when it comes to that stuff.

"I watch the way he moves and try and implement that into my game."

Wayne Bennett said recently the young pack was the best he had seen at the club as a group coming through at the same time.

Remaining a part of that new generation, which includes Tevita Pangai jnr and Joe Ofahengaue, into the future excites Su'A.

"We've still got Payne Haas and David Fifita so there is something special coming. You can see what Joe and Tevita have been doing this year and I want to be a part of that," he said.

Su'A, who moved to Queensland in his youth from New Zealand, was thrilled to be called into the Maroons camp before game one.

He is set to start against the Warriors at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday despite having a partial tear in the arch of his foot.

Su'A has been able to play through the pain, while having a modified training schedule for Brisbane during the week.

Source: NRL.com

I definitely hope he stays ... IMO a starting pack of

8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Su'A
12. Gillett
13. Pangai Jnr

would be the best in the league (if need be you could easily swap TPJ and McGuire, but i think there skills are better suited to those positions)

8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Su'A
12. Gillett
13. Pangai Jnr

would be the best in the league (if need be you could easily swap TPJ and McGuire, but i think there skills are better suited to those positions)

The drool on my phone permits me to only add

14 - Offa
15 - Hass
16 - Glenn
17 - Mago/Fifita

And I'm sure I'm leaving someone out.

8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Su'A
12. Gillett
13. Pangai Jnr

And in a couple of years, it’s easy to get excited about a killer rotation of Ofahengaue (already killing it), Haas, Fifita, Mago (all showing great signs), Carrigan and Flegler (both impressing all the right people).

Throw Glenn, Sims and possibly Taga in there for experience as well as Bird (who knows where he’ll play, could be lock) and we will be a very formidable pack.

EDIT: @big k beat me to it, I like where your head is at!

Last edited:

14 - Offa
15 - Hass
16 - Glenn
17 - Mago/Fifita

although i wouldn't play either Fifita or Haas in the top grade all season ... might be a bit too grueling on their bodies (not to mention mentally).

Glenn will have to accept the bench or leave now.

and what has he ever said or done that makes you think he wouldn't be prepared to do what is best for the team?

I see him being our utility on the bench in the coming seasons ...

and what has he ever said or done that makes you think he wouldn't be prepared to do what is best for the team?

I see him being our utility on the bench in the coming seasons ...

The way he is playing right now, i'd have him in the team over Sua anyway. Glenn is consistently good. He just isnt a flavour of the month youngster.

Will enjoy the media meltdowns if we retain (keyword, it's not like we're buying a roster rorters or tits style) TPJ, Su'a, and Isaako in addition to us already having locked down Lodge, Haas, Fifita.

14 - Offa
15 - Hass
16 - Glenn
17 - Mago/Fifita

Biggest issue is lack of experience. Very vulnerable to second year syndrome next year and asking young blokes to play a lot of minutes consistently across a season. Agree best team is likely:

8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. McGuire
11. Sua
12. Gillo
13. TPJ
14. KNik
15. Glenn
16. Offa
17. Mago/Hass/Fifita/Carrigan in measured amounts want them to get a feel for first grade but nice to get them back to QCup for big minutes.

But Offa has earned a start arguably more than Sua if keeps going. So maybe TPJ to backrow and Offa to lock but leaves bench light on. Don’t mind McGuire coming on from bench for last 50 or 60 for experience at the end and save an interchange. Or maybe Gillo stays out of first 20 while gets his confidence back and even then as gets older less minutes and want more skills work and impact.

Also have Macca playing lock after first 30 till 50 odd. Hold the middle while bench forwards rotate and need the experience out there.

14 - Offa
15 - Hass
16 - Glenn
17 - Mago/Fifita

Flegler and carrigan. We also have fai (who looks to have fallen down the pecking order too far though) and savelio (looks a talent and seemed to be high in the broncos thinking until the acl).

What an amazing achievement this squad is really. 3-4 years ago our forward pack was our weakest link and it was all doom and gloom on here in regards to our pack. Tough decisions were made and looking at our pack, our future and even our current position considering their youth-they were all the right ones...

Now we are doimg the same with our halves, its almost funny to watch and read the stuff on here when most of the exact same people were saying how grim our future looked with the lack of pack we had. Now theyve moved onto our halves. Patience. You dont develop players in 1 or 2 years. Our weakest link was our pack and now bennett and nolan fixed that despite the predicitons of the media. Now our weakest link is halves, and wow, what do you know-3 of the best under 18 year old halfs have appeared on pur books. What a coincidence! Its almost like ive seen this before...

Flegler and carrigan. We also have fai (who looks to have fallen down the pecking order too far though) and savelio (looks a talent and seemed to be high in the broncos thinking until the acl).

What an amazing achievement this squad is really. 3-4 years ago our forward pack was our weakest link and it was all doom and gloom on here in regards to our pack. Tough decisions were made and looking at our pack, our future and even our current position considering their youth-they were all the right ones...

Now we are doimg the same with our halves, its almost funny to watch and read the stuff on here when most of the exact same people were saying how grim our future looked with the lack of pack we had. Now theyve moved onto our halves. Patience. You dont develop players in 1 or 2 years. Our weakest link was our pack and now bennett and nolan fixed that despite the predicitons of the media. Now our weakest link is halves, and wow, what do you know-3 of the best under 18 year old halfs have appeared on pur books. What a coincidence! Its almost like ive seen this before...

Been waiting for a half since 2000. I'd say patience isn't an issue.

Last edited:
Been waiting for a half since 2000. I'd say patience isn't an issue.
Yeah true. I mean, we’ve only had lockyer, walters, hunt and milford to hold the fort during our lean spell. Jeez we’ve been doing it tough since 2000...

Good post.

All incredibly valid points too, but unfortunately none of it really detracts from the fact that you generally need all the stars to align to win premierships. Ultimately, premierships are all that really define a teams performances and all players, coaches, staff and clubs are judged on and the only thing fans really want.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you have to get the right squad together at the right time. We’re getting there, but there’s no guarantee our forwards will be so dominant like they are starting to become now in 3-4 years time when our halves will potentially be firing. Same applies for our backs, how will they be performing in the same future time bracket?

I’m not saying you’re wrong, not even close. Indeed, I am starting to come around to the idea that we’re better than a good chance this year if we play our football, to our strengths.

And if everything goes to plan, we could be nigh on unstoppable in a few years time if the young talent we’re banking on lives up to their potential.

But still, none of that takes away from the notion that if we’d just managed our players a little differently, we might have the spot-on balance in all positions right now. Of course, we could be worse off too, no one knows.

That said, I like your post of love your optimism!

Last edited:
Yeah true. I mean, we’ve only had lockyer, walters, hunt and milford to hold the fort during our lean spell. Jeez we’ve been doing it tough since 2000...

How many halves have the Broncos used since 2000 trying to solve the number seven riddle?

Alf, Shane Walker, Berrigan, Perry, Alf again, Alf again, Thaiday, Ikin, Ikin again, Perry, Perry again, Wallace, Hunt, Carroll, Kevvie then Kevvie again, Ben Walker, Green, Marshall, Prince and Hunt.

If you don't think it's been a problem since Alf retired I am unsure what you think a positional problem looks like.

Last edited:
Good post.

All incredibly valid points too, but unfortunately none of it really detracts from the fact that you generally need all the stars to align to win premierships. Ultimately, premierships are all that really define a teams performances and all players, coaches, staff and clubs are judged on and the only thing fans really want.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you have to get the right squad together at the right time. We’re getting there, but there’s no guarantee our forwards will be so dominant like they are starting to become now in 3-4 years time when our halves will potentially be firing. Same applies for our backs, how will they be performing in the same future time bracket?

I’m not saying you’re wrong, not even close. Indeed, I am starting to come around to the idea that we’re better than a good chance this year if we play our football, to our strengths.

And if everything goes to plan, we could be nigh on unstoppable in a few years time if the young talent we’re banking on lives up to their potential.

But still, none of that takes away from the notion that if we’d just managed our players a little differently, we might have the spot-on balance in all positions right now. Of course, we could be worse off too, no one knows.

That said, I like your post of love your optimism!
Very true. You could have the best squad for 5 years and still not win a premiership. Injuries, luck, determination and form beat out talented squads every year, but if you have a talented SQUAD it makes alot of those things easier to achieve...

Active Now

• Battler
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.