OFFICIAL Te Maire Martin Signs Three Year Deal with the Warriors

If we swap Martin for Walsh it would put cap pressure on us as Martin is only on a development contract.

It will probably require another player if we give Martin, we are all ready struggling with injuries this might be harder to do then it looks, unless warriors are willing to pay most his wage this year.

If we swap Martin for Walsh it would put cap pressure on us as Martin is only on a development contract.

It will probably require another player if we give Martin, we are all ready struggling with injuries this might be harder to do then it looks, unless warriors are willing to pay most his wage this year.
Dont worry, we will have Haas money next season.

Dont worry, we will have Haas money next season.
There is no issue next season because the cap increases anyway, but I'm talking about the issues of an immediate swap.

yeah but we got rid of Isaako early and never used the money it saved us

He’s only on $400k per year and there is only 9 rounds left. That would roughly $150k to get Walsh here for the rest of the season.

Isaako gone, Turpin maybe gone, and TMM gone. Plenty of space.

I’m just not sure we’d be a better team this year with Walsh over TMM. I think it’s better long term but this year TMM has brought so much calmness and structure to our defence that I don’t know if Walsh has.

He’s only on $400k per year and there is only 9 rounds left. That would roughly $150k to get Walsh here for the rest of the season.

Isaako gone, Turpin maybe gone, and TMM gone. Plenty of space.

I’m just not sure we’d be a better team this year with Walsh over TMM. I think it’s better long term but this year TMM has brought so much calmness and structure to our defence that I don’t know if Walsh has.
I think Martin is most probably better but we haven't signed him past this year and with Reece coming next year no matter what, ripping off the band aid would be the better choice for us long term I think.

We will have alot of kids playing though, that saying I think Walsh can show alot more of his abilities in our team then the warriors another level could very easily be unlocked for him.

Warriors hope to land Te Maire on a three year deal this week. No mention if this might involve an immediate swap for Walsh.

Kevin Walters:

“I don’t want to block Te Maire’s development so if he gets a longer-term deal elsewhere, that’s great for him."​
“In an ideal world, we would keep him, but the reality is Te Maire deserves to be playing regularly in the NRL and I’m not sure if that’s going to happen here. I would love to hang onto him, he has been fantastic for us, but it’s going to be difficult. With Reece Walsh coming in and Tesi coming back from injury and playing as well as he is, Te Maire unfortunately may get squeezed out. It’s not a case of us not wanting him, but I’m confident there will be better opportunities elsewhere for Te Maire.”​
“To be honest, I see Te Maire primarily as a five-eighth. He has done a great job for us at fullback, but I feel six or seven are his best positions and we are well covered there in the halves. Ezra Mam is a long-termer at five-eighth and we have our captain ‘Reyno’ Adam Reynolds at halfback. Te Maire may leave the nest here but the nest is always open if he wants to come back. It’s been a great two-way relationship. We helped get Te Maire back into the NRL and he has repaid that with some great form this year.”​

Warriors hope to land Te Maire on a three year deal this week. No mention if this might involve an immediate swap for Walsh.

Kevin Walters:

“I don’t want to block Te Maire’s development so if he gets a longer-term deal elsewhere, that’s great for him."​
“In an ideal world, we would keep him, but the reality is Te Maire deserves to be playing regularly in the NRL and I’m not sure if that’s going to happen here. I would love to hang onto him, he has been fantastic for us, but it’s going to be difficult. With Reece Walsh coming in and Tesi coming back from injury and playing as well as he is, Te Maire unfortunately may get squeezed out. It’s not a case of us not wanting him, but I’m confident there will be better opportunities elsewhere for Te Maire.”​
“To be honest, I see Te Maire primarily as a five-eighth. He has done a great job for us at fullback, but I feel six or seven are his best positions and we are well covered there in the halves. Ezra Mam is a long-termer at five-eighth and we have our captain ‘Reyno’ Adam Reynolds at halfback. Te Maire may leave the nest here but the nest is always open if he wants to come back. It’s been a great two-way relationship. We helped get Te Maire back into the NRL and he has repaid that with some great form this year.”​
Seemed obvious for week now that this would happen and that there will be a swap before the cut off.

Seemed obvious for week now that this would happen and that there will be a swap before the cut off.
It seems like both clubs are okay with it, and we won't be playing each other, so it seems completely feasible. On one hand, it would be less disruptive for the Warriors to stick with their incumbent for what's left of the season. On the other, they could start preparing for next season now. Realistically with no chance of making the finals, they'd be better off taking him now.

But would Walsh get a game with us if he returned now? I'm not even sure we have a spot for him.

It seems like both clubs are okay with it, and we won't be playing each other, so it seems completely feasible. On one hand, it would be less disruptive for the Warriors to stick with their incumbent for what's left of the season. On the other, they could start preparing for next season now. Realistically with no chance of making the finals, they'd be better off taking him now.

But would Walsh get a game with us if he returned now? I'm not even sure we have a spot for him.
Not sure disrupting the Warriors current season is a bad thing. I think he’d add a lot of maturity to that team. He and CNK are far more understated and reliable players than what the Warriors usually have.

No idea what we do with Walsh but it would at least get him into our system and have him closer to his kid. Seems like wins all round.

Except us losing TMM

It makes sense to do a swap before the cut off, TMM may not get another game for us if we stay fully fit.
With Walsh he's going to be the fullback next season more than likely so Tesi will loose that 1 jersey then but Walsh shouldn't come straight in this season and leap frog him unless Tesi's form falls or a injury to him happens.
Even if we don't play Reece just getting him around the team and training with Darius it's the same as what Martin would be doing here anyway, so gives us a head start on next year.

Hope they know what there doin I still feel we are a more complete team with the tmm at the back he just organised our defends so much bettter and does not really make any mistakes. Niu while exciting is still so raw .
Still feel if we are to do anything this year we should be Playing tmm at fullback

I don't really think it would matter too much if Walsh gets a spot or not if he came over.

By getting him here we can start getting him accustomed to the play style and have him working overtime on his defence... whilst also building our depth.

The contract that Walsh would be on coming over is bugger all in the grand scheme of things and we're not really after any positions to build depth in the first place... if Tesi gets injured then we have an extremely capable option ready to come in.

I don't think Walsh will walk straight into fullback, but an immediate swap is a win for both parties and gives us really good injury cover for Niu.

Make it happen, the clock is ticking.

Even without him walking in to the side, we can just say it is for welfare reasons and he trains with us and gets up to speed. If he can get everything right off the field, who knows, might even be a trump card come finals.

Regardless, this was always going to happen once Reece was announced as coming next year.

thats what i wanted to know will the swap mean Walsh comes this year ?
I don't think Walsh will walk straight into fullback, but an immediate swap is a win for both parties and gives us really good injury cover for Niu.

Make it happen, the clock is ticking.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • matthewransom34@ic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.