OFFICIAL Tesi Niu released by Broncos

What do you guys expect him to say?

'Yeah nah, can't wait for him to leave. Would love for my son to leave too because that's what like 3 fans want.'
Is that too much to ask?
In a (what should be) professional environment, absolutely yes. No coach is going to throw their players under the bus while they are still contracted at least, this is terrible for team morale.
Well the context isn't really what he should say; it's that you can put very little stock in what he does say.

Journalists get stick around these parts for not being bankable, sometimes fairly, but often unfairly in my opinion. But they can't hold a candle to Kevvie in the low credibility stakes. I'm not knocking him for being diplomatic to his players, but I pretty much discount everything he says through that filter alone.

In a (what should be) professional environment, absolutely yes. No coach is going to throw their players under the bus while they are still contracted at least, this is terrible for team morale.
I was only joking, Sproj.

The Brisbane Broncos can confirm Tesi Niu will depart the club.
Niu scored 11 tries in 32 games for the Broncos, having made his debut for the club in Round 4, 2020 against the Roosters.
Broncos Coach Kev Walters said: “Tesi has been in the Broncos system for a number of years and is highly regarded across the club.

“But we believe he will receive more opportunity elsewhere and it’s an indication of our respect for Tesi that we have allowed him to depart.
“We wish Tesi all the best in the next part of his journey.”

Basically a clone of Isaako. Plenty of talent buried under all that stupidity and lack of game awareness. Neither of them will ever be good fullbacks as long as they defend so poorly.

All the best to him but we are well stacked for backs in every position at the moment. We need a top shelf hooker and we need it now.

Tesi leaving makes keeping Herbie at the club long term look alot more promising, Herbie has said he wants to play fullback but Walsh will be first choice, Herbie's now second choice so there's a good chance he will get sometime there this season if Walsh gets injured or suspended which will hopefully keep him happy to stay and play the Manu to Tedesco like role.

Tesi leaving makes keeping Herbie at the club long term look alot more promising, Herbie has said he wants to play fullback but Walsh will be first choice, Herbie's now second choice so there's a good chance he will get sometime there this season if Walsh gets injured or suspended which will hopefully keep him happy to stay and play the Manu to Tedesco like role.
I'm not sure that's it had much impact at all, sorry to say. Both Herbie and Tesi are/were due to come off contract this season. I think it's fair to say Tesi was already up against it with Reece, Herbie and Selwyn more favoured as long term fullback. And before that Te Maire Martin. He was already a spare wheel.

The collision course waiting to happen is Herbie vs Deine Mariner, who is contracted until the end of 2024. Over on the other centre, Kotoni is contracted for another year again until end 2025. Mariner could go to a wing, but at whose expense: Oates or Cobbo?

Barring injury, Herbie owns that left centre spot. He should hone his skills there and put his stamp on it. Mariner will have to settle for wing cover during Origin. The club might even decide to grant him permission to leave, though they've already refused him to date.

I think inevitably - barring some wildcard like a misdemeanor - one of Mariner, Farnworth or Oates won't be at the club next season.

Well the context isn't really what he should say; it's that you can put very little stock in what he does say.

Journalists get stick around these parts for not being bankable, sometimes fairly, but often unfairly in my opinion. But they can't hold a candle to Kevvie in the low credibility stakes. I'm not knocking him for being diplomatic to his players, but I pretty much discount everything he says through that filter alone.

Kev is paid to coach the team, not build credibility so people read what he writes in the paper

Kev is paid to coach the team, not build credibility so people read what he writes in the paper
Kev is also paid to front the press, otherwise they'd send someone else out.

I think inevitably - barring some wildcard like a misdemeanor - one of Mariner, Farnworth or Oates won't be at the club next season.

Of those three, it has to be Mariner. You could make an argument for Oates because of his age but I want to show him a bit of loyalty in his twilight years, and he will come cheap thanks to long service cap concessions. Herbie at this point is basically a no brainer to hang on to as long as he's happy being here.

Of those three, it has to be Mariner. You could make an argument for Oates because of his age but I want to show him a bit of loyalty in his twilight years, and he will come cheap thanks to long service cap concessions. Herbie at this point is basically a no brainer to hang on to as long as he's happy being here.
Of those three, Mariner is the only one who's still under contract. Let's see how he looks with a season of QCup under his belt before we write him off. I don't want any of them to go.

Herbie will go, we can’t match what he will get on open market and we have Cobbo who will be looking to move to centres by 2024 and Mariner behind him, who the club thinks very highly of.

Broncos don’t need to match the open market they just need to keep promises.
Well, if the promise was to play fb they probably can’t do that either. He’s the odd man out imo.

Not necessarily. If Mam for some reason doesn't kick on as a player, suddenly Walsh is in the frame to be shifted to 6, and guess who will be getting first crack at fullback
Even in that scenario I think Cobbo is the better & more experienced option at fb.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Xzei
  • cento
  • Big Del
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • GCBRONCO
  • FACTHUNT
  • kiwi2
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.