NEWS Tevita Pangai Jr: I have a rule now

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Tevita Pangai Jr tells the Courier Mail:

“I have to change my ways. I have been looking at myself and my game and trying to get better. I want to have a big year. I feel like I owe that to the boys. It’s been hard missing so many games. I just want to get back out there and help the team. A lot of the suspensions were because of high-intensity moments, but I can’t keep going down to Sydney for judiciary meetings."

“From now on, I will be working hard to stay on the field. I want to lead the boys with my aggression, but it’s important I find that balance. I have a rule now: if anyone is on the ground, I won’t be jumping on them (like he did with O’Neill in round one). Hopefully I don’t break that rule.”

477837f052095a7bb3557510289637bf

"Hopefully" won't do this again.

“I have matured. During the break, I have had a few conversations with people I trust and I feel like I have learned a few things, but it’s up to me to deliver on the field. I’ve been off the drink for a while now, completely. I don’t miss alcohol at all. I’ve seen what alcohol does to families and how people act when they drink. It changes their behaviours and they can make silly decisions. It’s also against my religious beliefs. I have come to grips with my faith and my place in rugby league. I feel like my attitude can help my football. Some of the best athletes, like Muhammad Ali and Floyd Mayweather (boxing greats), never drank."

“I don’t feel like I have hit my peak yet as a player. I am only 24 and the penny has dropped. This is my fifth season now and it’s time for me to deliver. The Broncos have given me a big contract and I have to start paying them back.”

200314 pangai

The penny dropping

Pangai's been training pretty much every day with his mate Quade Cooper, who's introduced him to some kind of bonkers caveman diet:

“Quade is like a big brother to me. I’m not as extreme as Quade with my diet but I feel eating heaps of meat helps me. I’m 118kg, so I’ve gotten a bit bigger. I don’t mind playing at this weight, that’s when I play my best footy. I have been eating a lot of meat and training hard in the gym. It’s a hard diet to follow, but in terms of muscle gain and body fat percentage it has helped me a lot. I feel a big and strong. I don’t have too many carbs, just heaps of meat and seafood. I have learnt a lot from Quade. I have seen how professional he is. We did a fair bit of training over the break and the way he treats his body, his diet, his prehab, he just ticks all the boxes and I have learned a lot in those areas."

“Coming back this week, I want to be showing more aggression with the ball instead of defence. I would like to think I am a strong ball carrier with the footy and I want to focus on my attack and that’s where the game is heading anyway with these new rules. There’s no way I’ve delivered my best.”

No sir, you have not.

McHunt

Last edited:
Fucking religion. Anyway I suppose it's ( his attitude change ) a good thing and it sounds as if a few old heads have chewed his ear.

To be fair, I have never seen Quade even close to what he looks now physically. Not just lean but also bulked up a fair bit, but i guess when you don't have to step onto the field for the next few months it would make it easier to bodybuild. His diet is insane though, I'm not sure of the long term effects it will have on his body.

Last edited:
He's so important to our team. If he can find a balance between intimidating the opposition and not getting suspended, that would be great. We need his fearlessness, I feel our team often gets intimidated and bullied by better teams and this is where TPJ makes so much difference. His cofidence is contagious.

He's so important to our team. If he can find a balance between intimidating the opposition and not getting suspended, that would be great. We need his fearlessness, I feel our team often gets intimidated and bullied by better teams and this is where TPJ makes so much difference. His cofidence is contagious.

Let's be very clear about this ... He's a fucking monster. Our monster.

I miss that TPJ magic. He had some great offloads and plays and his value to this team has been forgotten with all these suspensions. I miss the yell at your TV moments that TPJ brings.

Not long now and we'll both be yelling along with I imagine, everyone else on here, and Mitchell Pearce but for different reasons

I like the statement about the defence and focussing his aggression with ball in hand. In defence we need him to just make his tackles solid and complete 1%ers because it has been his defence that gets him into trouble. I have also always worried when he comes in heavy with high intensity as third man in a tackle because of the risk of injury to team mates (i have seen way too many hyper extended elbows and broken arms occur this way).

In attack he can drop his shoulder at top speed and flatten the opposition. Really put some fear into the halves and open some gaps when second rowers or centres try and help them out.

We are missing 4 players that would THRIVE in this 6 again rule/1 ref. TPJ with his off loads like they are killing us, fifita and to a lesser extent peruse with their tackle busting, and segeyaro with his dummy half running. Ffs..... give us a fucking break

Spending so much time suspended, it's easy to forget how good he can be when he's on. What a sight it would be to see him come out and dominate Klemmer tonight like he did Taumalolo. Not getting suspended would be fucking great as well.

I’m currently doing the carnivore diet as a test I’ve tried them all and it’s awesome! But very fucking expensive, I knew he had been doing it so I’ve been looking forward to seeing how he looks on the field under this diet. Energy levels and what not but holy dooly 118kg

Active Now

• Ras
  • Sproj
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Bish
  • Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Browny
  • Waynesaurus
  • Financeguy
  • Gympie devil
  • Johnny92
  • Skathen
  • Tim K
  • The Don
  • MrTickyMcG
  • BroncosAlways
  • Allo
  • Broncosgirl
  • I bleed Maroon
  • RolledOates
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.