VOTE TEVITA PANGAI JR is BHQ Player of Round 6

Who is your player of the Round (Pick 3)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oates, Croft, and Bullemor hold their spots. Mead, Flegler and Kennar under the pump.
Flegler and kennar i agree.

Flegler is just dumb and lazy. poor discipline, limited impact and lazy in defence and off the ball.

Kennar kept coming in when he wasnt needed, which led to penriths second try and almost another and didnt put his hand up as much as our other outside backs for the hard yards.

Mead, i thought he was solid, not special but seemed to work well with oates in defence and put his hand up for work.

My back 5 next week would be:
1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Herbie
4. Mead
5. Coates.

Apart from Turpin throwing dumb forward passes all night to nobody and Isaakos first tackle kick, the entire team was very good. Went with TPJ, Croft and Haas but Bullemore, Oates and Lodge deserve a point too
you can’t honestly think Flegler was good

Apart from Turpin throwing dumb forward passes all night to nobody and Isaakos first tackle kick, the entire team was very good. Went with TPJ, Croft and Haas but Bullemore, Oates and Lodge deserve a point too
Lol what? Did you not watch Kennar, Mead and Flegler? All 3 were fucking horrible. And Turpin threw 1 forward pass from memory.

3 - TPJ - Dominated the edge, was immense
2 - Haas
1 - Lodge

Haas and Lodge both awesome up the guts. Oates, Croft and Isaako both played really well too.

Flegler and kennar i agree.

Flegler is just dumb and lazy. poor discipline, limited impact and lazy in defence and off the ball.

Kennar kept coming in when he wasnt needed, which led to penriths second try and almost another and didnt put his hand up as much as our other outside backs for the hard yards.

Mead, i thought he was solid, not special but seemed to work well with oates in defence and put his hand up for work.

My back 5 next week would be:
1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Herbie
4. Mead
5. Coates.

Yeah Mead shut down quite a few plays by Cleary by rushing in, Oates actually stayed on his wing so it worked.

Complete opposite on the other edge.

Lol what? Did you not watch Kennar, Mead and Flegler? All 3 were fucking horrible. And Turpin threw 1 forward pass from memory.
If you were listening to Nine commentary - Fatty, in particular - they were going on about what a great player Flegler is. Sometimes I think they run on autopilot.

I thought we beat them man for man almost right across the field, except Cleary and To'o. Not to knock Xavier, but he was bettered there last night. Capewell was terrific, but TPJ was stellar, and Kikau was contained. Glenn was unremarkable, and his captaincy undetectable, but he certainly didn't let us down.

But if anyone personified that performance it was Turpin. Effort dialed to 11, just lacking the attacking finesse to seal the job. Again, outplayed his opposite number. As for forward passes, he handled the ball 127 times for 1 error. Forward passes are always going to happen when you're the one scooping the ball, each time trying to accelerate the momentum, and you're so buggered you can barely think. Better to get the odd forward pass trying to push the pace than play it safe with little lobs like Macca and have everyone flat and cautious.

Many are calling for Turpin to be rested to bring on a spark from the bench. That's all very good except I don't see anyone in the wings who can replicate what he's doing, plus challenge the line. One thing is for sure, he must be getting match fit.

Oates, Croft, TPJ in no particular order.

Lodge, Haas, Turpin all unlucky to miss out. It's nice when you have to genuinely think who was deserving rather than who was the best of a bad bunch. long may it continue!

If you were listening to Nine commentary - Fatty, in particular - they were going on about what a great player Flegler is. Sometimes I think they run on autopilot.

I thought we beat them man for man almost right across the field, except Cleary and To'o. Not to knock Xavier, but he was bettered there last night. Capewell was terrific, but TPJ was stellar, and Kikau was contained. Glenn was unremarkable, and his captaincy undetectable, but he certainly didn't let us down.

But if anyone personified that performance it was Turpin. Effort dialed to 11, just lacking the attacking finesse to seal the job. Again, outplayed his opposite number. As for forward passes, he handled the ball 127 times for 1 error. Forward passes are always going to happen when you're the one scooping the ball, each time trying to accelerate the momentum, and you're so buggered you can barely think. Better to get the odd forward pass trying to push the pace then play it safe with little lobs like Macca and have everyone flat and cautious.

Many are calling for Turpin to be rested to bring on a spark from the bench. That's all very good except I don't see anyone in the wings who can replicate what he's doing, plus challenge the line. One thing is for sure, he must be getting match fit.
You'd think he must be getting fit by now. I think much like Macca his defence cant really be questioned anymore... and I'd say it is better than Macca's because he cuts blokes in half... but he's lacking that offensive spark or injection at the moment.

That doesn't mean he has to be darting out DH and creating line breaks every game, but what I would like to see is him more involved in attack inside the opposition 5-10m zone. We need to give the halves some assistance in attack instead of trying block play after block play inside the 20m.

It's one area that Macca is somewhat useful with. His kicks from there are mostly trash and he would probably only score 1-2 tries a year from there, but he could pick a pass for the crash run and get a big man over for a try at a reasonable rate.

If you look at hookers nowadays I think they should really look to own everything inside the 10m line... there's so many that can sneak a little grubber through for a forced drop out, dummy and go themselves for a try or pick out a crash runner.

They're all simple little plays and still worth the same amount of points as any other try and if you have a threat from DH within the 10m zone then the defence has to respect it, giving the outside men some more space.

Last night Turpin had a nice little pass for Bullemor that almost got him his second. Bull ran a great line that got him on the inside shoulder about 2m from the line and Turps put it right on his chest. It probably didn't work with Bull because he's slightly undersized but he is mobile and can work his way through the line so it's a viable play moving forward. If we did a similar play with Haas, Lodge or TPJ it's try time everyday of the week. Even a guy like Kennedy or Flegler (if he holds it) on that line probably scores.

All of a sudden a decoy by Haas in that position has the defence questioning and possibly committing to him creating mass room on the outside for the halves.

It would give our attack inside the 20m more options than "settler to block play"

You'd think he must be getting fit by now. I think much like Macca his defence cant really be questioned anymore... and I'd say it is better than Macca's because he cuts blokes in half... but he's lacking that offensive spark or injection at the moment.

That doesn't mean he has to be darting out DH and creating line breaks every game, but what I would like to see is him more involved in attack inside the opposition 5-10m zone. We need to give the halves some assistance in attack instead of trying block play after block play inside the 20m.

It's one area that Macca is somewhat useful with. His kicks from there are mostly trash and he would probably only score 1-2 tries a year from there, but he could pick a pass for the crash run and get a big man over for a try at a reasonable rate.

If you look at hookers nowadays I think they should really look to own everything inside the 10m line... there's so many that can sneak a little grubber through for a forced drop out, dummy and go themselves for a try or pick out a crash runner.

They're all simple little plays and still worth the same amount of points as any other try and if you have a threat from DH within the 10m zone then the defence has to respect it, giving the outside men some more space.

Last night Turpin had a nice little pass for Bullemor that almost got him his second. Bull ran a great line that got him on the inside shoulder about 2m from the line and Turps put it right on his chest. It probably didn't work with Bull because he's slightly undersized but he is mobile and can work his way through the line so it's a viable play moving forward. If we did a similar play with Haas, Lodge or TPJ it's try time everyday of the week. Even a guy like Kennedy or Flegler (if he holds it) on that line probably scores.

All of a sudden a decoy by Haas in that position has the defence questioning and possibly committing to him creating mass room on the outside for the halves.

It would give our attack inside the 20m more options than "settler to block play"
In the bigger scheme of things, if you watched the presser last night, Walters was sparse in praise. He wanted a win. Players were out of position on a few occasions. Attack let us down. Contrast this to only a couple of weeks ago when it was all about defence. He reckoned we needed to get that sorted and the rest would follow. Seems we got to that next phase pretty damn quick.

And this against the best attacking side in the comp, that's only let in 38 points all year. Our relatively paltry score of 12 was actually the most points anyone has put on them this season! And only the Storm has managed to score twice against them.

But if anyone personified that performance it was Turpin. Effort dialed to 11, just lacking the attacking finesse to seal the job. Again, outplayed his opposite number. As for forward passes, he handled the ball 127 times for 1 error. Forward passes are always going to happen when you're the one scooping the ball, each time trying to accelerate the momentum, and you're so buggered you can barely think. Better to get the odd forward pass trying to push the pace than play it safe with little lobs like Macca and have everyone flat and cautious.

I still think Lodge and TPJ should be made captains. I get all the arguments against it but they are inspirational.

In the bigger scheme of things, if you watched the presser last night, Walters was sparse in praise. He wanted a win. Players were out of position on a few occasions. Attack let us down. Contrast this to only a couple of weeks ago when it was all about defence. He reckoned we needed to get that sorted and the rest would follow. Seems we got to that next phase pretty damn quick.

And this against the best attacking side in the comp, that's only let in 38 points all year. Our relatively paltry score of 12 was actually the most points anyone has put on them this season! And only the Storm has managed to score twice against them.
I think we are progressing well. We've effectively competed in every game this year bar the two road trips under covid isolation conditions.

The game last night proved how effective our middle rotation can be, including Lodge who has been criticised for being injured and on one leg last year.

We absolutely monstered them through the forwards with the only real blight being Flegler's propensity for bone head plays and errors, when he just has to keep the roll going.

I think our edge defence looked a little shoddy through Kennar, but Herbie will be back next week, and I think Dearden and Croft are far better tacklers than Milf, so that stiffens us up a bit... Dearden needs to get better at reading the play though. First try he ended up on the same man as Glenn, but hopefully Glenn being there can help his defence over the coming weeks.

In attack I think we were too erratic and not patient enough with ball in hand. The forwards dominated the game and gave us plenty of field position, but the attack looked limited inside the 20m zone.

I think Kevvie will want us to play that ultra conservative style for the next 3-4 weeks until it really sinks in and becomes second nature. From there we can start expanding on the play.

In the trials and early rounds we weren't afraid to hit a blindside or spread it within our own half. I dont recall that happening last night, but Kevvie may have instructed them to just go out and win the battle in the middle. High completion, kick to corners and win field position.

As the team start getting used to winning that field position and seeing quick ptb's through the middle I think we'll see the attack expanding a bit on the back of it.

Slowly slowly at this stage, but as long as covid doesnt come in and **** us again, then I think we will remain competitive for pretty much every game this year and keep building as the team get more confident

Lodge.
He was fkn immense. Pack leader last night.
TPJ.
**** he's good when he's on song.
Oats.
Once again, so valuable when on song. Great to see the big oaf back in form.

@broncsgoat your schtick makes me laugh but stop dicking up McHunts poll.

Active Now

• Manlyman
  • Big Del
  • jarro65
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • FACTHUNT
  • davidp
  • Skathen
  • BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • azza.79
  • Footy Fanatic
  • maddo
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.