NEWS Thaiday hasn't given up on Origin recall

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Criticise

Criticise by all means but questioning the guy's integrity in such a casual manner is pretty appalling.

Wow appalling really?!

He’s stunk it up for the last few years apart from when his contract was up for grabs.

He’s too busy being a comedian than putting in

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
@Jedhead, I'd be curious to know if you watch Broncos games? The only thing that's low is Sam's form over the last few years. The guy is too busy cracking jokes rather than going hard on the footy field. When was the last time you saw him make a run that had the same impact as what he did at his peak?
You're obviously watching less games than me. Off the top of my head I can remember Sammy beating MILF in a foot race to a grubber that was kicked in goal to ground it for a try last year. I also remember his run and one handed dummy he sold to touch down as well..

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
You're obviously watching less games than me. Off the top of my head I can remember Sammy beating MILF in a foot race to a grubber that was kicked in goal to ground it for a try last year. I also remember his run and one handed dummy he sold to touch down as well..

Yeah, how pathetic was that? Our star 5/8 was so buggered he couldn't keep up with a forward.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
That is the point that a few posters are making. When he is in form, he can be brilliant but when he isn't switched on (which is 70% of the time), he can be absolutely woeful. Remember that match where he ran for only 8 mtrs in 54 mins and the media panned him for it and the next game he chiselled out 150 mtrs and made 30+ tackles. I am glad that he has trimmed down a bit because at the end of last year, he looked like Humpty Dumpty and was totally ineffective.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I compare him a lot to Myles tbh although not to the same extent. It annoyed the **** out of their supporters because he always grew another leg when he played for QLD. I'm a big fan of Thaiday, but he has declined and his highlights over the last few years have mainly been when his contract was up for renewal. That said the journalist led him down the path IMO. I don't see where he "insists" his Origin career isn't over though.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
That said the journalist led him down the path IMO. I don't see where he "insists" his Origin career isn't over though.

exactly this ... they would have already had the headline written and then asked the question to get the response they wanted ... the question was probably along the lines of "do you want to be selected for origin in 2018 (or have your officially retired)?

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
Sam.....it's time. With a wealth of forwards both in the front row and back, now is the time to use your skill of entertaining folks with your gift of gab full time.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Sam.....it's time. With a wealth of forwards both in the front row and back, now is the time to use your skill of entertaining folks with your gift of gab full time.
A wealth of potential in the forwards but can't be categorized as talent as of yet as the likes of Haas, Carrigan, Fafita etc haven't even played ISC and are still a work in progress. The Broncos aren't in the position to dump a 15 year vet with a decorated career.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013

FMD not this again, milf was the one who kicked the ball, sam was had a head start at running, milf had to run through/around players and thaiday had a clear path and only just beat him there

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
A wealth of potential in the forwards but can't be categorized as talent as of yet as the likes Haas, Carrigan, Fafita etc haven't even played ISC and are still a work in progress. The Broncos aren't in the position to dump a 15 year vet with a decorated career.

Pangai Jr, Big Joe, Lodge, Glen, Gillette, Sims, an unproven Oates plus a few that you mentioned. We are far from hurting in that space.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Pangai Jr, Big Joe, Lodge, Glen, Gillette, Sims, an unproven Oates plus a few that you mentioned. We are far from hurting in that space.
TPJ has potential if he keeps his nose clean, Offa as well with the proper attitude. Lodge has played 12 career games and hasn't set foot in the NRL in 3 years and has big question marks surrounding him. Gillo is a star. Glenn is solid but underachieved in his career. Sims needs to lift because last season was unacceptable. Oates is also a huge question mark as well. Sammy will have a regular gig in the lineup for 2018 and rightly so.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I think we're being a bit harsh on Sammy in his autumn years. Yeah I think he's reached the end of his shelf life but he has been a very good player for us for a long time.

Sure some performances have been better than others but that's the nature of the grind in the nrl. It is extremely rare to see someone ultra consistent, day in, day out, year in, year out.

He deserves our respect and appreciation for his efforts over the years. Not to mention apart from the west end saga, he's been a great ambassador for our club.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
TPJ has potential if he keeps his nose clean, Offa as well with the proper attitude. Lodge has played 12 career games and hasn't set foot in the NRL in 3 years and has big question marks surrounding him. Gillo is a star. Glenn is solid but underachieved in his career. Sims needs to lift because last season was unacceptable. Oates is also a huge question mark as well. Sammy will have a regular gig in the lineup for 2018 and rightly so.

I wouldn't say Glenn has underachieved in his career.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
I wouldn't say Glenn has underachieved in his career.
Touted as a future captain, was predicted to be a mainstay in the NZ side. Had some pretty lean years under Hook. Has forged out a decent career but even he would have hoped for greater heights.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Touted as a future captain, was predicted to be a mainstay in the NZ side. Had some pretty lean years under Hook. Has forged out a decent career but even he would have hoped for greater heights.

Hard to say, he was a stand out in the u20's and our inaugural captain but I think he's had a pretty solid career. Not everyone can be a superstar, but he's played over 200 games for Brisbane, a dozen for NZ - can't really say he's underachieved with those numbers. A lot of players would kill for those totals, and he's still only 29.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Hard to say, he was a stand out in the u20's and our inaugural captain but I think he's had a pretty solid career. Not everyone can be a superstar, but he's played over 200 games for Brisbane, a dozen for NZ - can't really say he's underachieved with those numbers. A lot of players would kill for those totals, and he's still only 29.

no to mention the premiership he will add to that resume in 2018 :biggrin:

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
FMD not this again, milf was the one who kicked the ball, sam was had a head start at running, milf had to run through/around players and thaiday had a clear path and only just beat him there
Don't let fact get in the way of an agenda mate, come on!

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • Sproj
  • Midean
  • marw
  • Howie
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Justwin
  • Behind enemy lines
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.