NEWS Thaiday hasn't given up on Origin recall

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Don't let fact get in the way of an agenda mate, come on!
But it isn't entirely factual. Whilst Sam had the headstart, Milford only had to step around one player and he did that pretty quickly. Thaiday was less than a metre in front by the time Milf had avoided that one player.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
So it happened in the 7th minute. Thaiday probably came off straight after it happened. And anyway, it was 10 seconds in a whole season. Hardly worth bringing up as some form of proof that his form hasn't dropped considerably.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
So it happened in the 7th minute. Thaiday probably came off straight after it happened. And anyway, it was 10 seconds in a whole season. Hardly worth bringing up as some form of proof that his form hasn't dropped considerably.
You need to follow the thread properly Tom. I gave this example when challenged by @pennywisealfie to name one occassion when Sammy actually had a run last season.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
You need to follow the thread properly Tom. I gave this example when challenged by @pennywisealfie to name one occassion when Sammy actually had a run last season.

Well you posted an example where he had nobody in front of him and just had to simply fall on the ball.

A better example to prove your point would have been Round 6 vs Roosters where he had to get through a couple of defenders to score.

I think that's the kind of run pennywise was after. The type of run where he shows determination to break tackles and power through the defence.

The kind of run he rarely does anymore.

He got his nickname Slammin' Sam because of those kind of runs, but ever since 2011, he hasn't been able to do that consistently. Every now and then he would, but those moments are few and far between.

I disagree that Sam only performed when his contract was up for renewal, because from 2006-2011, he was a very good forward. But ever since he suffered that injury in 2011, he just hasn't been the same. I think it's just a case of not physically being able to play at that level consistently anymore.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Fair enough, although I think a better example would have been round 1 against the Sharks where he earned us a penalty when we really needed it with a good tough run, it's the only time I can think of a great run from him last season which isn't good enough for him. Too often he would run straight at the markers even though they were always square and only make 5 metres at most which I found infuriating as it was a wasted play. I don't think running for the ball with no defenders in front of you and therefore no chance of being tackled is what Penny meant when he said that.

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
He gave us a glimpse when he Schooled JWH

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
What I meant was the kind of runs he used to do for us where he would go charging into defenders and his hair would go everywhere. I know he doesn't have the hair now and that's impossible, but you just don't see him put in the effort that made him what he was back in the day.

I'm not a hater, I'm just upset that a player that I loved isn't doing the things anymore that made him great.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Interested to hear what people think his role is this year. A foot in each camp of edge and middle forward doesn’t do it for me. He’s got our 3 back rowers front of him, lodge and sims starting front rowers then guys on the up being joffa, sua, fai, TPJ, Haas, Oates and old Taga for experience and i’d call that a push to be in the 17. Appreciate there is some inexperience above but for me it looks like a season where some young forwards could really kick on which could leave him on the outer.
You don't appreciate it enough. He could even start. But he'll be first on off the bench

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Wow appalling really?!

He’s stunk it up for the last few years apart from when his contract was up for grabs.

He’s too busy being a comedian than putting in
Dude. You need to watch more games and start remembering more than just the long range tries.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
FMD not this again, milf was the one who kicked the ball, sam was had a head start at running, milf had to run through/around players and thaiday had a clear path and only just beat him there
So he was offside?

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Hard to say, he was a stand out in the u20's and our inaugural captain but I think he's had a pretty solid career. Not everyone can be a superstar, but he's played over 200 games for Brisbane, a dozen for NZ - can't really say he's underachieved with those numbers. A lot of players would kill for those totals, and he's still only 29.

And should have played for NZ in the 2017 World Cup except NZ are such a basket-case at the moment they didn’t ask him until he had already made other plans due to their own disorganisation amd incompetence.

That tally should be up to 15 tests or more by now, if the Kiwis weren’t acting the way they are...

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Fair enough, although I think a better example would have been round 1 against the Sharks where he earned us a penalty when we really needed it with a good tough run, it's the only time I can think of a great run from him last season which isn't good enough for him. Too often he would run straight at the markers even though they were always square and only make 5 metres at most which I found infuriating as it was a wasted play. I don't think running for the ball with no defenders in front of you and therefore no chance of being tackled is what Penny meant when he said that.
Just because you can't remember them doesn't mean he didn't do it. Everyone remembers the fantastic attacking displays from players like Milford, hunt, Nikorima, hodges, Roberts, Boyd and Kahu etc. Why we have the perception he's dropped off Soooo much in recent years but really, he's still doing a good job. Last year there were a few off games but I think he was struggling with some mental things last year. There were plenty of good games and good runs though.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Just because you can't remember them doesn't mean he didn't do it. Everyone remembers the fantastic attacking displays from players like Milford, hunt, Nikorima, hodges, Roberts, Boyd and Kahu etc. Why we have the perception he's dropped off Soooo much in recent years but really, he's still doing a good job. Last year there were a few off games but I think he was struggling with some mental things last year. There were plenty of good games and good runs though.

If you were to make a video of Sammy's 2017 apart from when he played hooker 90% of it would be him running straight into the markers on purpose who were onside anyway for a 5m gain. I expect more from someone with his credentials.

Rico

Rico

QCup Player
Jun 4, 2016
You don't appreciate it enough. He could even start. But he'll be first on off the bench

Sorry lost with the appreciate piece. Thought I acknowledged young forwards and some some depth that will put pressure on him most weeks to be in the 17.

@Tom, watch more games please

Active Now

• ezpz
  • Wolfie
  • Battler
  • Behind enemy lines
  • LittleDavey
  • Harry Sack
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • marw
  • GCBRONCO
  • Howie
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.