Thaiday unleashes on Kangaroos snub

Hopefully this sparks Thaiday into action and he comes out and gives us everything he has left in the tank next year. It can be his tackling fuel

I think Thaiday is giving everything he can. Remember he has osteotis pubis or whatever. It's a debilitating problem. He's a proud man and wouldn't want to admit it publicly as an excuse, but it's most definitely a factor.

I don't think he's out of line feeling slighted.

You would think the bloke who coached him for a decade in the Queensland team would be inclined to give him a phone call even if it was pretty obvious he wasn't in the running.

... but now I think about it I don't like the tone of the message. Saying who would have thought it would be the last time I play for Qld and Australia. Doesn't sound like he's prepared to do the hard yards to get those jerseys back next year

Even Mal's apology was a bit back handed at times. Would not be surprised if there isn't more too this.

Sam isn't owed anything. It's the Kangaroos. You either get named in the team or you are not. Sam had a good run. He wasn't owed a phone call.

I do get that, but surely Thaiday should have been smart enough to know he wasn't going to get picked anyway. Does he really want to hear that he is too shit now?
As many others have said, it's not about that imo.

I'm sure he knows he's not good enough anymore, or that there are too many players ahead of him, but it's a matter of respect for a long term servant of the Kangaroos, and let's not forget he is an incumbent after all, to get a "friendly" tap on the shoulder from Mal, via a phone call.
It would probably go something like...

- Hi Sammy, I'm sure you expected this call, but I thought you were owed the deference.
- Hey Mal, yeah... I had my suspicions, even if there was that slight hope. Thank you for the call though!
- Sure Sam, stay strong and good luck with the Broncos next season!
- Thanks Mal, same to you and the boys. Bring the cup home!
- [click]...

Done and dusted.

“I’m really sorry for not contacting Sam,” Meninga said. “He deserves that respect and I stuffed up in this instance.
“He’s got every right to vent. He’s had a pretty tough year hasn’t he, when it comes to rep footy and club footy.
“So I should have shown him the respect he deserves and informed him of my decision. It was an honest oversight, I forgot.”

Thaiday was the incumbent. That was his position to lose.

He deserved a call.

Yeah 100% this.

If people can put their feelings about Thaiday aside and their obvious admiration of Meninga I think most would realise this is a dick move by Meninga.

How many years has Mal preached about respect and loyalty, but then shows none of it to a player that in his prime was instrumental to the success of QLD which is part and parcel of where Mal is now.

He was the incumbent and regardless of Sam’s form and his perception of that form he deserved the call to get the heads up and thank him for his service.

If this is something NSW did, Mal and most on here would be the first to jump on them and talk about how the lack of respect for their players is the reason the are where they are.

Not that Thaiday deserved to get picked, but Mal is a terrible coach with a chip on his shoulder. He's one of the lucky ones who should be on his knees thanking Smith (and in Mal's case, his assistants at QLD) for the millions of dollars and success he's gifted him.

EDIT: I respect Jamie Lyon more and more every day, as well as the other blokes in that Manly team that didn't care about rep footy.

I read this article early this morning which gave me the above impression:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/wo...h/news-story/8d6d3a115ce8c699d1ab4f2a79152b91

Basically he gets paid a full time wage to do a casual/part time job. No wonder he is content. Mal completely fluked it when he got the Queensland job at the time he did. Getting the Queensland job with the crop of players he had at his disposal was like winning the lotto for him.

And he has parlayed that into the cushy Kangaroos job. I guess you have to make the most of your opportunities and he has been extremely fortunate. But do I think he's a good coach? No.

Last edited:
Why did he get dropped from deadly choices?

“That’s when I like went through my jungle fever phase of liking dark girls there for a while. The I figured out if it ain’t white it ain’t right.”

“That’s when I like went through my jungle fever phase of liking dark girls there for a while. The I figured out if it ain’t white it ain’t right.”

That was such an outrageous stunt by Deadly Choices. What Sam said wasn't right - despite it only being a joke - but he swiftly and genuinely apologised - and Deadly Choices still exploited it to grandstand.

Yeah I think it sucks for him and he should've got a call, but I doubt every player who gets dropped gets a call.

The realization your career is almost up probably hurts him more than the lack of phonecall, like someone said, deadly choices, qld, australia, and confirmation of your current contract being your last with your club - that's quite a lot to digest.

I have been thinking about this a bit. At first i felt for him,but now i realise the issues we face. Thaiday thinks he deserves a jersey not out form but because he is Thaiday. It reeks of complacency and resting on his lorals because he thinks he deserves it just because.

I have been thinking about this a bit. At first i felt for him,but now i realise the issues we face. Thaiday thinks he deserves a jersey not out form but because he is Thaiday. It reeks of complacency and resting on his lorals because he thinks he deserves it just because.

In Sam's head he is still the player he once was. But in reality he is a shadow of what he was.

It must be hard facing the end of your playing career. For over a decade he has had this nice income coming in and has basked in the glow of being in the spotlight. And now he is seeing signs that it is ending. Not getting another Broncos contract, getting axed by Qld and Australia. Basically being told that you are getting crap. That would be hard to deal with after being told you are so great for so long.

Sam venting is him just being human I suppose. Dealing with it all.

Unread

Active Now

• Bongo
  • Sproj
  • heartly87
  • Santa
  • Skyblues87
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.