Thankyou Darren Lockyer

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Leave your messages of thanks for Locky here.

Well, none of us predicted it would end like that but thankyou for an incredible 17 years. It was clear from the start that you would be a very good football player but I don't think many of us could comprehend just how influential you would be on not only this team, in Rugby League in general. Your champion qualities have been highlighted time and time again, but to win that game for us against St George a couple of weeks ago, the way you did, with a smashed cheekbone, just typifies your career. You're right up there with the toughest players anyone has ever seen, and from a personal point of view, you are the best Rugby League player I have ever seen, and I doubt I will ever see a better one.

Away from football, your qualities off the field are outstanding as well. You always make sure you stick your hands out to any kid in the guard of honour looking for the high five, even after you ruptured your knee in North Queensland in 2007, limping up the tunnel, knowing your season was over, the young North Queensland crowd stuck their hands out, and you still fought through the disappointment to give them a story to tell their Mums and Dads when they got home from the game.

Broncos fans cannot thank you enough for what you have done for us over the years. You will be missed, but congratulations on a truly incredible career.

This is a man who will go down as the Best Bronco of all time, a legend of his generation and absolute champion. I don't think words could even begin to express how thankful I am to have witnessed the greatness of Darren Lockyer playing for my team. His heroics will never be forgotten. So glad I was at Suncorp last weekend to watch a Legend sign off in a bloody special way..

Check out this youtube video of Lockys voice before he got hit in the throat, gotta say I am glad he got hit in the throat because it just adds to the legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRbOYYtZkMI&feature=related

If anything, Locky was the only player I've ever seen that inspired hope. It never mattered how grim the situation was, you knew if Locky was on the field, you knew you were always a chance and the amount of times he managed to pull it out of the fire for his club, state and country are to be admired.

I've never agreed with Rugby League players being role models for children as I feel there are far better candidates but you could do far worse than to see your kid with a Locky poster on his wall.

In his prime, he had it all, speed, agility, playmaking abilities, defence, positional play, read the game like a children's book but what made him stand out most was how he'd step up whenever the team needed him too. Unlike other greats, Locky rarely contributed much in the floggings, when his team had momentum, he was happy to let his team mates reap the rewards. However, if his side was ever just behind, it was always Locky asking for the ball and trying to come up with the magic but sensible plays that defined him as a footballer, until his very last club game.

I don't know about you guys, but when I'm old and telling my kids about Rugby League players during my generation, I'll be quick to remind them of Lockyer's last ever game, as it was everything that was great about him. Setting up linebreaks, constantly keeping one-step ahead of his opposition and most importantly, showing the heart of a hero to with stand such pain and come up with one last play.

While the great man deserved a grand final victory, to be chaired off a passionate home ground who appreciated all his contributions for mine is just as glorious.

Thanks Locky and here's to your next adventure!

isnt half of the previous post from a Bennett column?
agree with the sentiment and last game addition though.

All off the top of my head.

I may have been channelling Wayne though.

Certainly feel as bitter as Wayne after a loss. Could go for some chocolate.

I heart Locky. Rugby League won't be the same without you.

Darren and the team have brought moments of happiness into my life at times when I struggled to find it through other avenues. The way he played showed so much heart, he never gave up and I appreciate that so much. I love the guy. I've never been one to go and get his autograph or take my picture with him or anything, what he does in his private life is his own personal business, but on the field, he means the world to me.

Thanks for the victories, thanks for the effort, thanks for staying a Bronco, thanks for the leadership, thanks for being there to put a smile on our faces every weekend. Thanks Darren.

Not much more to add really. I think the respect he gets from the entire rugby league community, including NSW fans, speaks for itself.

Very sad to see him go.

Locky has been a true champion in every sense of the word, regardless of the jumper he pulled on, be it Broncos, QLD or Australia. this club owes you a debt of gratitude of years of wonderful and loyal service.

I think Ken Sutcliffe said it best during the tribute before his 350th NRL game.

DARREN LOCKYER:
A BRONCO FOR LIFE; A CHAMPION FOREVER

Darren Lockyer, the greatest player I have ever seen and probably ever will.

Thank you Darren and I hope you can lead the Kangaroos to victory over England in the Four Nations.

What do you say about someone who the word legend feels like selling him short. In my opinion the greatest player ever, at the very least the greatest player of his generation. A gentlemen off and on the field and a genius with the ball in hand. I can't say thank you enough for the moments and memories that he has provided, I honestly struggle at times to comprehend footy without him.

I feel privileged to have witnessed his career and feel saddened to think that my 10 month old son will never be lucky enough to watch him play live. His dedication, toughness, courage and presence is truly inspirational and I don't know if we will ever see someone like him again. One of the greatest things I have witnessed is the respect that they players around him hold for him. Being at his last broncos game and witnessing the 'do it for locky' spirit first hand was truly amazing. In extra time to see the young and the old in Hodges and McGuire running that ball up the middle to get it into field goal range was pure desperation to win that game. McGuire had played an amazing game and his legs must have been just about jelly but you could tell nothing would stop them.

Someone on here talked about the hope he brings to a team and that couldn't be more true. It wouldn't matter how bleak the situation was, if locky was on the field there was always hope... You knew that if victory was possible he would find a way. I watched Origin 1 this year with a mixture of QLD and NSW supporters and when NSW were ahead with minutes to go they were celebrating and one of my mates turned to them and said "we'll be right, locky will do something" which he obviously did. That final play was all heart from Matt Scott and pure genius by Locky.

Thank you Locky for everything

Plain and simple Lockyer you are legend. Greatest player to pull on our jersey. It was an honour to support a side you played for.

Active Now

• BroncosMan
  • Wolfie
  • Old Mate
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Harry Sack
  • Jazza
  • Johnny92
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Xzei
  • Allo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • Financeguy
  • broncos4life
  • GCBRONCO
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.