THE “Cameo Broncos”.

Pfft, Palmer Wapau trumps all

His kicking style made me laugh.

You see a lot of players just delicately boot the ball so it goes where they want it to go.. Wapau just used to boot the shit out of it like he was trying to take the skin of the ball off.

Greg Dowling collapsing the scrum on Gary Freeman and kneeing out a few of his teeth was pretty nasty .

20 Games Or Less
1. Colin Scott
2. Elia Tuqiri
3. Dane Gagai
4. Chris McKenna
5. Robbie Ross
6. Anthony Mundine
7. Paul Green
8. Sam Backo
9. PJ Marsh
10. Harvey Howard
11. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
12. Bryan Niebling
13. Motu Tony

Robinson, Granville, Barnes, Friend & Taylor are also in the running.

A reserve grade/pre-season try-outs list would be interesting. Tim Smith, Ken McGuiness, Kirk Reynoldson, Matt Ballin, Paul Carriage etc.
1 Nick Parfitt
2 Mitch Rivett
3 Nick Emmett
4 Scott Blacker
5 Kaine Manihera
6 Josh McCartney
7 Brett Sheehan
8 Butch Fatowna
9 Michael Ryan
10 Cliff Manua
11 Michael Coorey
12 Rob Tanielu
13 Steve Lacaze

14 Brett Green
15 Steele Retchless
16 Andrew Tessman
17 Willie Morganson

1 Nick Parfitt
2 Mitch Rivett
3 Nick Emmett
4 Scott Blacker
5 Kaine Manihera
6 Josh McCartney
7 Brett Sheehan
8 Butch Fatowna
9 Michael Ryan
10 Cliff Manua
11 Michael Coorey
12 Rob Tanielu
13 Steve Lacaze

14 Brett Green
15 Steele Retchless
16 Andrew Tessman
17 Willie Morganson

My eldest sister went to school with Nick Parfitt iirc. Shame he never kicked on post-Baby Broncos. Still holds QCup record for most points, equal goals and second on most tries

One of my favourite cameo players was Brendon Gibb. Played 3 games and showed some skill. Always thought he was McGuire Lite and could've been a cool little tag-team with Moose.

Him and big Dave Hala. That guy could've been something if he stayed injury free and stopped trying to bulldoze his own players

6 Josh McCartney
7 Brett Sheehan

Loving the obscure picks.

Allo - Gibb was a gun for Norths in 2010. I remember being in favour of signing him up until Penrith ultimately nabbed him up. I believe he suffered a serious injury early on and never really recovered. He eventually found his way back here, but only got a look in around the Origin period. The slight on him was that he was too small and too slow for first grade, but I didn't think he received a fair initiation. Both teams he played, it was to fill a role in the middle which was never going to work.

His non-selection didn't backfire on the Broncos, it isn't like he went up to Townsville and played a starring role in a grand final victory or anything, but I wonder what would have happened if he was given a shot in 2013 over Slyney.

The same goes for a host of players. Instead of giving the likes of Anderson, Hala, Lui, Maranta, P. Wallace, McCullough etc. a free ride what would have happened if the club had have taken advantage of the talent in reserves. I doubt it would have resulted in a premiership, but I'm sure it would have been far more memorable than the season we got.

The only good thing to come out of that year was the Maranta/Hodges meme.

Last edited:
Lui and Anderson were the worst constant selections for mine. Whitchurch too. Anderpson was on par with current Burgii. Couldn't hold a ball to save his life. Lui was (and still is) a plodder. Maranta was lucky to even have a first grade career with Kahu being constantly injured and JYY ... sad face.

Had a look through the 2012-2014 squads. Outside the core that's still mostly there, those sides were ordinary at best

Lui and Anderson were the worst constant selections for mine. Whitchurch too. Anderpson was on par with current Burgii. Couldn't hold a ball to save his life. Lui was (and still is) a plodder. Maranta was lucky to even have a first grade career with Kahu being constantly injured and JYY ... sad face.

Had a look through the 2012-2014 squads. Outside the core that's still mostly there, those sides were ordinary at best

It really is depressing to look back on those years and see just how much this club lost it's way..

It really is depressing to look back on those years and see just how much this club lost it's way..

sub-par signings/depth, losing players we shouldn't have: Te'o, Norman (controversial maybe) etc. Wasting years of development and/or the best parts of our rep players. Thaiday for example, he was 27-29 and played prop and got smashed week in week out for no real reason.

I guess you need to have the lows to have the highs, but I don't want to get near that ever again. Hopefully our next transition period in a few years time will be much more pleasant

I remember being sorta excited when we signed Anderson. Our front row stocks were the worst in club's history back then though. I can't remember if it was 2009 or 2010, but Nick Kenny, of all players, was our best performing middle forward, and was somehow close to being a random selection for Australia too.

I remember being sorta excited when we signed Anderson. Our front row stocks were the worst in club's history back then though. I can't remember if it was 2009 or 2010, but Nick Kenny, of all players, was our best performing middle forward, and was somehow close to being a random selection for Australia too.

Nick Kenny is one of my favourite no-frills cheap clubmen.

Grant Graving was a good cameo. Started 1989 with two tries on debut in round one after forcing out Scott in the pre-season. Lasted seven games into the season and never played first grade again.

Duffy came in after that and lasted not too much longer. Fullback was a real issue that year. The Broncos used Jackson, Graving, Currie, Duffy and Teevan.

Johnny.plath , the original super sub. I remember thinking, why doesn't he play halfback at another club? He was pretty good for a bench utility, or is it just me remembering the early days with rose coloured glasses?

Johnny.plath , the original super sub. I remember thinking, why doesn't he play halfback at another club? He was pretty good for a bench utility, or is it just me remembering the early days with rose coloured glasses?

4 Grand Final wins, and constantly niggling the bigger guys in an era where he was likely to be punched? He was a champion.

1 Nick Parfitt
2 Mitch Rivett
3 Nick Emmett
4 Scott Blacker
5 Kaine Manihera
6 Josh McCartney
7 Brett Sheehan
8 Butch Fatowna
9 Michael Ryan
10 Cliff Manua
11 Michael Coorey
12 Rob Tanielu
13 Steve Lacaze

14 Brett Green
15 Steele Retchless
16 Andrew Tessman
17 Willie Morganson

Ian lacey ?

I was a Johny Plath fan back in the day . Tough little bugger .

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • JayTeeM
  • Bongo
  • johnyE
  • Jedhead
  • bb_gun
  • Tim K
  • YeahNahMate
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BRC088
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Stix
  • Galah
  • Redfern_1980
  • Confidor
  • Dexter
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Santa
  • kman
  • Strop
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.