NEWS The 118kg Broncos ‘freak’ who beat the skipper in stunning pre-season time trial

FaithinHook

NRL Player
The 118kg Broncos ‘freak’ who beat the skipper in stunning pre-season time trial

Foxsports - Monday 13th May, 2019

The 19-year-old Broncos star sets the standard at training for not only the forwards, but he regularly beats the backs in aerobic challenges.
Teammate Tevita Pangai Jr has seen up close what the teenage sensation is capable of, revealing Haas beat renowned fitness freak Darius Boyd in a 1.2km time trial earlier in the year. For a man standing 194cms and weighing 118kgs - it’s remarkable.

A prop beating a fullback in a time trial is simply unheard of. “He’s a freak. If you want to build a perfect NRL player, it’s him. He’s the biggest in our team and he’s the fittest. He beat Darius in the 1.2km trial,” Pangai Jr told foxsports.com.au. “He’s fit, he’s fast. He’s strong and he’s got all the attributes. He’s got a good family that keep him grounded as well.

“Just his work ethic for a guy so young he just leads with his actions. He doesn’t say much but he sets an example.” When he made his debut in 2018 it was revealed intense road runs as a kid and an enviable work ethic helped tune his incredible motor, likening his endurance to that of Roger Federer. In just eight games, his rise has been rapid - so much so he’s being talked about in terms of Origin contention for the Blues when the teams are named in a fortnight.

In 60 minutes against the Sea Eagles he ran for 192 metres, a massive 91 post contact metres, eight tackle-breaks and 28 tackles. In his five games this year he’s averaging 159 metres, more than any other Broncos forward, and 32 tackles. Haas is only eight games into his career but he’s already showing the kind of consistency in his performances that has evaded many NRL rookies. Pangai Jr, himself battling to find consistent form for the Broncos, says it’s incredibly difficult to put together back-to-back big performances as a teenager. “I don’t think (Jason) Taumalolo was doing that at his age,” he said, “He hasn’t played 10 games yet and he’s already getting it. He plays big minutes, big metres and a lot of tackles. I’ve never seen anything like it. “I know when I was 19 I wasn’t doing that. I was playing five minutes here and there. He’s just a freak of nature.”

Last edited:

Slippin Jimmy

NYC Player
It's not clear from the article, but doesn't Boyd usually win these things? So I'm not sure how this becomes an opportunity to slam Boyd for being slow when Payne is beating every other back too.

edit: Herbie Farnworth actually finished first, with Haas finishing second.

Last edited:

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
Wait a second, I know it states that he beat Boyd but he also beat the rest of our team and Boyd was used as the yard stick to show how good he was. This isn’t a thread to shit on Boyd in, its about Haas being a machine. Boyd was beaten by a freak.

BroncsFan

NRL Player
Wait a second, I know it states that he beat Boyd but he also beat the rest of our team and Boyd was used as the yard stick to show how good he was. This isn’t a thread to shit on Boyd in, its about Haas being a machine. Boyd was beaten by a freak.
Exactly this I think the "journos" are just clutching at straws to get a story from having TPJ on Matty John's show last night

He didn't really give them much to work with so they've created an article based on TPJ's comments towards Haas being a phenomenal athlete

It probably doesn't need to be said but TPJ was highlighting Haas beating Boyd as a positive on Haas rather than a negative on Boyd... but BHQ gonna BHQ sometimes

Last edited:

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Haas would have to be leading the race for Dally M Rookie of the Year.

He only played 3 games last season so he would be eligible. Unless that suspension from the club puts him out of the race.

Renegade

NRL Captain
I agree, this isn't a shit on Boyd thread.

Ponga01

QCup Player
Haas would have to be leading the race for Dally M Rookie of the Year.

He only played 3 games last season so he would be eligible. Unless that suspension from the club puts him out of the race.
He meets all the criteria and I think that suspension was through the broncos not the NRL
306A8D39-324A-4DBB-9D8F-6B2DD454F7EB.jpeg
Source: Rugby league hall of fame

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
Love to know what times they are achieving for 1.2k.

I heard a few years back MCullough got to 14 on the beep test... Only concrete performance standard I’ve heard...

Edit: Disregard - Jeremy Hickman posted this...

D7F7052D-5BA6-4A01-9367-671762ABCA3E.png

Last edited:

QCup Player
Half of those numbers are a little low. Averages i've seen for squat is up around 150-160 these days and bench row 100-110. Most trainers are focusing on % of relative weight also. Jimmy Maloney for example, who's a midget, would be killing it at 130KG squat and 100KG bench.

When Haas hits hits late 20's he should be doing 2x body weight in Squat and probably 1.5x in bench, maybe 1.1/1.2x in Row. The potential for a monster is really there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter