The Anti-Bronco Conspiracy

Don't start. The call was horrendous but we lost that game a good 15-20 minutes earlier with soft defence.
Not saying we didn't, we were hot garbage tonight.

But. To pick out ONE other incident, Reyno stays down and can't buy a penalty, 30 seconds later what happens? We get penalised for a 'high shot' that was not even high.

And yes, THAT call. Deadset. Capewell try.

We were atrocious and deserved to lose. But that game was refereed totally differently to every other game of ours so far this year. Conspiracy? Perhaps not. But "fairness" certainly comes into it.

Oh yes, also 3x 6-again's in the one set when we were peppering their line, but no send-off? Kris' shoulder charge on Cobbo completely overlooked because he scored still? Ref calls play on then penalises us for playing on because we played on and there was no hooker there? Riki on report for a 'facial' when every second tackle of those ***** was around the head or neck??

I know I'm missing plenty more. But please tell me this is a fair and balanced competition. We did not deserve to win tonight but we did not deserve to be wrecked by the officials like that either.

idk, a conspiracy is just more than one person, Atkins and the bunker clearly conspired to **** us. I'll die on this fucking hill tonight!! :rofl

Oh yes, also 3x 6-again's in the one set when we were peppering their line, but no send-off? Kris' shoulder charge on Cobbo completely overlooked because he scored still? Ref calls play on then penalises us for playing on because we played on and there was no hooker there? Riki on report for a 'facial' when every second tackle of those ***** was around the head or neck??

I know I'm missing plenty more. But please tell me this is a fair and balanced competition. We did not deserve to win tonight but we did not deserve to be wrecked by the officials like that either.
Teams usually get three warnings, it's the forth six again when they start to get binned. Even so, referees are hesitant to blow them, it has to be really blatant.

Since the shoulder charge didn't make direct contact with the head and didn't happen after the try was scored there was nothing the referee could do.

The play on call caused a storm out for me but I think they may have got this right. I believe Capewell did push the player over, so while Atkins was concentrating on the play-the-ball and deemed it OK, he took a second to get to the altercation.

That cold drop which led to a penalty for off-side was an old fashioned bail out penalty. He knew they didn't get any advantage over whatever the six again was for, so he found a player off-side when he could have found one off-side the entire game but let players get away with it all night. That was my second storm out of the night.

Another one, how many six agains were there before that one Haas run where he had 3 Canberra players hanging off him trying to prevent the play the ball? That was a penalty every day of the week but I believe Atkins swallowed his whistle on that one.

Yeah look, I might be adding a bit of fuel to the fire here and I am generally not one who thinks there's a greater conspiracy against the Broncos but..

Someone should be looking into that PointsBet promo, they were offering $4.00 for Brisbane to win tonight. A team that was 5 and 0, playing at home against a team that could barely get out of their own way. Low and behold..

The game itself, we weren't great but we did cop some shocking decisions. It's more that they knew to lob up that promo at the right time and it's our first loss for the season, I don't think anyone could have predicted we would lose tonight with such confidence than to put your business at risk with such a liability by offering 4-1 about a team that was about 5's on to win (1.20).

Teams usually get three warnings, it's the forth six again when they start to get binned. Even so, referees are hesitant to blow them, it has to be really blatant.

I reckon a bit of feel for the game was needed by Atkins there. We were clearly winning the ruck, Canberra were clearly prepared to do anything to stop us from scoring a try. All those 6 agains in quick succession, it really doesn't hinder them too much. End of the day we still have to try and score and at the end of the day they're still getting away with it.

Since the shoulder charge didn't make direct contact with the head and didn't happen after the try was scored there was nothing the referee could do.

The play on call caused a storm out for me but I think they may have got this right. I believe Capewell did push the player over, so while Atkins was concentrating on the play-the-ball and deemed it OK, he took a second to get to the altercation.

That cold drop which led to a penalty for off-side was an old fashioned bail out penalty. He knew they didn't get any advantage over whatever the six again was for, so he found a player off-side when he could have found one off-side the entire game but let players get away with it all night. That was my second storm out of the night.

Another one, how many six agains were there before that one Haas run where he had 3 Canberra players hanging off him trying to prevent the play the ball? That was a penalty every day of the week but I believe Atkins swallowed his whistle on that one.
Thanks Pete, I don't know how you're always so measured in your responses haha!

You're right about the 3 warnings, I was waiting for the Raiders to do it again and have an immediate send off (even though I heard no warning) but they were smart and didn't infringe again, and we choked.

I thought a shoulder charge was a reportable offence these days, regardless of circumstance? I honestly didn't think there was much wrong with it, but after some of the calls of late I really have no idea what's ok and what's not.

Also agree Atkins was calling play on while his head was already thinking something different with Capewell pushing, but if there was a dummy half and Canberra get the ball away I don't think it's a penalty, the play on call would have stood. These are the frustrating areas as a fan, where it seems as though your team gets the bum end of calls simply due to circumstance, and I do fully acknowledge they are difficult to get consistent. If Kurt doesn't push him away, we probably get to play on with the ball there. It's a bit silly but also illustrative of the 50/50 calls we did not get our way tonight.

Agree too about that offside penalty, was blowing up big time about that but again - while we probably were offside, no more so than most other tackles all game. Why penalise that one to cover the poor Raiders error? It leaves a bad taste in the mouth for Broncos fans, especially after the Canberra intercept when we were again peppering their line which was a blatant offside and just waved through. These can be game-changing moments.

The Haas run...again, we just didn't get the 50/50's. Which in isolation I can cop, but they were very one-sided in how they fell tonight. The way neutrals are also blowing up all over the web makes me feel a bit justified in my outrage, haha!

It doesn't take away from the fact we were atrocious, though. Lots of work to do.

I don't think they were out to get us tonight. The bloke with the whistle just doesn't know the rules.

For mine, though, the guy who plays the ball is out of play, they can't pick the ball up, so how can they be "fouled"? If anything, the ball-players just standing there is hindering us getting to the ball, and while the "he can't just disappear" that you always hear from commentators is bouncing around my head, how many times do you see the guy who played the ball get mowed down and pushed out of the way when the attacking team are on your line, and the dummy-half tries to burrow over? It was a piss-weak call because the refs hate the markers getting anywhere near the ball.

Yeah look, I might be adding a bit of fuel to the fire here and I am generally not one who thinks there's a greater conspiracy against the Broncos but..

Someone should be looking into that PointsBet promo, they were offering $4.00 for Brisbane to win tonight. A team that was 5 and 0, playing at home against a team that could barely get out of their own way. Low and behold..

The game itself, we weren't great but we did cop some shocking decisions. It's more that they knew to lob up that promo at the right time and it's our first loss for the season, I don't think anyone could have predicted we would lose tonight with such confidence than to put your business at risk with such a liability by offering 4-1 about a team that was about 5's on to win (1.20).
Can we stop with this one please? They do it for heavy favourite games all the time. They did the exact same bet for Steph Curry to shoot one 3 pointer. There is no conspiracy in Pointsbet whatsoever. It’s a gimmick so you sign up and they win in the long run. Most you can bet is $10 and have to be a new customer I believe.

Can we stop with this one please? They do it for heavy favourite games all the time. They did the exact same bet for Steph Curry to shoot one 3 pointer. There is no conspiracy in Pointsbet whatsoever. It’s a gimmick so you sign up and they win in the long run. Most you can bet is $10 and have to be a new customer I believe.

I just wonder, why this game? Why not last week?

It just makes you wonder and this is the thread for that type of thing, so figured I would put it out there.

Thanks Pete, I don't know how you're always so measured in your responses haha!

You're right about the 3 warnings, I was waiting for the Raiders to do it again and have an immediate send off (even though I heard no warning) but they were smart and didn't infringe again, and we choked.

I thought a shoulder charge was a reportable offence these days, regardless of circumstance? I honestly didn't think there was much wrong with it, but after some of the calls of late I really have no idea what's ok and what's not.

Also agree Atkins was calling play on while his head was already thinking something different with Capewell pushing, but if there was a dummy half and Canberra get the ball away I don't think it's a penalty, the play on call would have stood. These are the frustrating areas as a fan, where it seems as though your team gets the bum end of calls simply due to circumstance, and I do fully acknowledge they are difficult to get consistent. If Kurt doesn't push him away, we probably get to play on with the ball there. It's a bit silly but also illustrative of the 50/50 calls we did not get our way tonight.

Agree too about that offside penalty, was blowing up big time about that but again - while we probably were offside, no more so than most other tackles all game. Why penalise that one to cover the poor Raiders error? It leaves a bad taste in the mouth for Broncos fans, especially after the Canberra intercept when we were again peppering their line which was a blatant offside and just waved through. These can be game-changing moments.

The Haas run...again, we just didn't get the 50/50's. Which in isolation I can cop, but they were very one-sided in how they fell tonight. The way neutrals are also blowing up all over the web makes me feel a bit justified in my outrage, haha!

It doesn't take away from the fact we were atrocious, though. Lots of work to do.
For mine, though, the guy who plays the ball is out of play, they can't pick the ball up, so how can they be "fouled"? If anything, the ball-players just standing there is hindering us getting to the ball, and while the "he can't just disappear" that you always hear from commentators is bouncing around my head, how many times do you see the guy who played the ball get mowed down and pushed out of the way when the attacking team are on your line, and the dummy-half tries to burrow over? It was a piss-weak call because the refs hate the markers getting anywhere near the ball.
I'd have to look at the vision again but it appeared to me they were still jostling when the Raiders player got the play-the-ball away and then in that jostle has been pushed over by Capewell. It's deemed as interference with the play-the-ball, otherwise pushing players as hard as you can after the play the ball would be a legitimate play.

Kris was lucky not to be put on report, I still expect the MRC to look at it. As a Broncos fan it doesn't really bother me as the only thing I'd be interested in is a sin-bin.

I agree fans have a right to feel frustrated but I can't see Atkins or Chris Butler (the bunker official) being demoted over the performance either.

FYI, Butler was the referee who allowed the captain's challenge in that Cowboys/Tigers game. Even then, Annesley defended Butler and threw Klein (the bunker official) under the bus. Then Klein got to referee the NRL grand final, it's a strange competition...

I just wonder, why this game? Why not last week?

It just makes you wonder and this is the thread for that type of thing, so figured I would put it out there.
They, or a similar pathetic corporate book, did have a similar promo for last week’s game against the Tigers

“Although the Match Review Committee has deemed the contact accidental, it is important to point out that even if Martin Taupau had not been penalised, a Broncos try would not have been awarded,” he said.

“Another Raiders player would have been allowed to play the ball after Jordan Rapana left the field as there is no doubt he caught the ball cleanly and only released it after he suffered the injury.”

Source

Since when can the bunker over-turn a decision of knock-on without a challenge? The only power they had was the ability to rule foul play which is what they did by completely fabricating what happened. Taupau didn't have his hands up in the air, he was looking to make a tackle when Rapana dropped like a sack of spuds and lost the ball before going to ground.

For 100 years that's been an unfortunate accident and either play on, or scrum to the opposition team.

I went back and watched the Capewell-Hopoate incident.

It should have been Broncos ball.

Before the tackle was ruled complete, Hopoate places the ball on the ground and plays it on the ball which is a violation.

It should have been Penalty Broncos.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Big Del
  • Foordy
  • Ondi
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Evander
  • Waynesaurus
  • Santa
  • broncoscope
  • Midean
  • the_next
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.