NEWS The Brisbane Broncos’ secret weapon for disrupting the NRL top eight

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
The Brisbane Broncos' secret 'weapon' capable of disrupting the NRL top-eight
02:01
If the NRL top-eight is to change before the end of the regular season, Brisbane “are more likely than any other side” to break into the finals, says NRL legend Peter Sterling.

After a torrid start to the year under new coach Anthony Seibold that saw the club make their worst start to a season in a century, Brisbane have managed to find a formula that has seen them claw their way to equal-ninth on the ladder.

It hasn’t always been pretty, but a string of commendable performance largely predicated on their young crop of talent has the club firming to make a tail-end run into finals football said Sterling, particularly if they can capitalise on their forwards’ ability to offload.
“I believe that if the top-eight is to change at all, Brisbane are more likely than any other side to break in to finals football,” Sterling said. “I think they’ve got something to offer.”

“The offload in today’s game is such a potent weapon. There’s so much structured play, blocked plays, that the offload offers something different.

“With Pangai in their side, amongst this vast array of talented young forwards, he’s just something special. To be able to get the ball away and attract so many defenders, it opens holes up everywhere.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F4bb432a5-b82d-48a9-a62b-a42fea655125
Tevita Pangai Junior (AAP)
“If they can get him playing consistently good football, Pangai is a weapon and the offload is so important.”

Pangai, alongside fellow youngsters David Fifita and Payne Haas have been a highlight amid the club’s roller-coaster season.

Albeit at times patchy, their performances have been gaining consistency with only more game-time to come as finals loomed.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fa7830315-909c-4470-a6c9-dfd35dcae884
Fifita and Haas (AAP)
Sterling assured the top-eight couldn’t become complacement with such a dangerous asset in their ranks.

“They’ve got so many big men who are capable of coming up with that(offload),” he said.

“That’s a real plus to their arsenal going into possibly breaking into the top-eight.”

The Broncos clash with the Titans on Saturday night, and will not have to leave Queensland until round 25 when they play the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium.

Last edited:
It is certainly a baptism of fire from here on to Round 25, but a good test of our finals credentials. If we can get all hands on deck to beat Melbourne next week, the Cows after that then Penrith, I think we can say our season is back on track, and our cameo in the finals won't be some no hope extension of our agony.

It is certainly a baptism of fire from here on to Round 25, but a good test of our finals credentials. If we can get all hands on deck to beat Melbourne next week, the Cows after that then Penrith, I think we can say our season is back on track, and our cameo in the finals won't be some no hope extension of our agony.

If we can beat the storm we will definitely make the finals but it is a big if.

We have to be honest, we won't beat the Melbourne Storm.

We may beat every other team we are playing until the end of this regular season, but there's just no way we can beat the Storm. We can give them a really difficult game though.

Titans, Storm, Cowboys, Panthers, Rabbitohs, Eels and Bulldogs.

It's not the worst run home ever. Storm games are a write off. Fear the Rabbitohs will be hitting their stride by then, but would back Brisbane to be in the contest against the rest.

Last edited:
Titans, Storm, Cowboys, Panthers, Rabbitohs, Eels and Bulldogs.

It's not the worst run home ever. Storm games are a write off. Fear the Rabbitohs will be hitting their stride by then, but would back Brisbane to be in the contest against the rest.
If we have Dearden and SOS in the halves and Boyd at centre for the rest of these games I'm tipping we go 6/7 and make the eight.

The day of the Storm being unbeatable are over and our pack has what it takes to put them on the back foot and keep them there. Titans got off to a great start against them and then collapsed, we are far more likely to go on with it.

It's a big ask to get Tommy and Sully to gel so quickly, but I think youthful exuberance will get them through. C'mon the Broncs!!

Every team is beatable. I think we have to beat Storm to give our season a hope, what is the point of making the 8 if you have no hope of further progression.

We could still progress as we wouldn’t be playing the storm until week 3 at least.

We could still progress as we wouldn’t be playing the storm until week 3 at least.
Sure we could but if you don't believe they can beat them now what changes then?

Our team needs to beat Storm so they can get some confidence to take on the competition, we do worse then most teams against the Storm it's as if our team has been scared to play them for years.

Every team is beatable. I think we have to beat Storm to give our season a hope, what is the point of making the 8 if you have no hope of further progression.
We may not have to beat them in the finals ... Should we make it, we may be on the opposite side of the draw, and they could get knocked out before we need to face them

In retrospect it would have been better if he hadn't been suspended. If Melbourne win, that title gets stripped and Manly has one premiership fewer.
Except Melbourne refuse to acknowledge the titles have been stripped or any wrongdoing. To this day they are attempting to have those titles re-instated and even threw a big party in '17 for the 10 year anniversary of their '07 premiership.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Justwin
  • heartly87
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Broncorob
  • Skyblues87
  • Cavalo
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Aldo
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Midean
  • HarryAllan7
  • johnny plath
  • Xzei
  • kiwi2
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.