NEWS The Brisbane Broncos’ secret weapon for disrupting the NRL top eight

This is precisely the attitude seibold needs to completely eradicate from the forum playing ranks.

Absolutely spot on mate. Anthony.S should start instilling the confidence in our playing group that they can beat anyone in the comp. Storm cheaters are not invincible. They were beaten twice this season and will be beaten. It will be us who break their winning streak come next Friday. Hate them to the core (along with Rotters, Souffs and few others).

I think our previous style has played right into their hands. One out forward runs to where their middles catch us, wrap up the ball, third takes the legs, ref calls held and then they lower the player onto the ground on their back (and dont get penslised for proceeding with the tackle)..

For years we have continued to run one out and expected a different result. I hope this time, we can get forwards running at their edge making their second rowers and halves go for legs tackles.
Exactly this... beating the storm comes down to attitude in attack and defence.

It's often said the storm don't have a second gear and I think that's correct to a point. The storm's 1st gear is usually enough and if they don't come with high intensity from the outset it can take them a little time to get warmed into a game.

Based on that you have to play high speed in attack and defense from the outset and get some points on them early. When the opposition run hard and have a quick line speed it can disrupt the storm.

You do need to do things different in attack namely spreading it quickly from sideline to sideline and offloads, which brings about risk.

You also have to beat the storm and the refs because they will give you zero favours against the NRL's love child

I’m going against the grain here. I don’t like the Storm and everything wrong they have done with league but I don’t know how anyone can say they have made league boring in their current version.

They are the most exciting team to watch. They turn nothing into something regularly and seem to be the one team that can play ad-lib and structured at the same time. Their one and only weakness is against teams with good defensive structures, that’s it. Their problem is they can’t seem to beat that kind of side ever. Anyone else is gone before they begin.

They play fast and fancy. They attack from anywhere on he ground because they have the confidence, speed and ability to do so. I wish more teams played attack like the Storm do, they are anything but boring. Defend on the other hand is a disgrace to the game.

I’m going against the grain here. I don’t like the Storm and everything wrong they have done with league but I don’t know how anyone can say they have made league boring in their current version.

They are the most exciting team to watch. They turn nothing into something regularly and seem to be the one team that can play ad-lib and structured at the same time. Their one and only weakness is against teams with good defensive structures, that’s it. Their problem is they can’t seem to beat that kind of side ever. Anyone else is gone before they begin.

They play fast and fancy. They attack from anywhere on he ground because they have the confidence, speed and ability to do so. I wish more teams played attack like the Storm do, they are anything but boring. Defend on the other hand is a disgrace to the game.
Agreed.... I don't think the storm play boring but rather they make their opposition play boring.

I think NRL teams are too structured nowadays. They play conservative out of their own end... waiting and hoping for penalties to make the meters whilst their forwards focus on holding the ball. Then when they get a penalty and end up in good ball areas they play structured again with block play, forward settler, block play, kick.

It's predictable and boring, and if the defense is switched on it's easily shut down

I think the reason storm play so fast is they focus on the set up play more than the killer play.

Storm will go 4 tackles of setup to try and get 1 quick ptb and when they get one they attack. Their spine are always watching the defensive line, because their forwards know what their role is and don't really require much management to get around the paddock. Although they do have Cam who can get the team around the park whilst also watching the defensive line.

The current storm regime has been the same for 15 years or so now so the basic structure is ingrained in the team and allows the players to setup subconsciously.

Because it is second nature their players are able to focus on the opposition and wait for them to make the mistake to flick the switch into attack.

I think Souths attack last year showed more of an emphasis to play heads up. Although they still needed Reynolds to get them around the field. I hope that was a precursor with Seibs wanting his structure to put players into positions to attack rather than premeditated structured attack... which to me is how the storm play.

Agreed.... I don't think the storm play boring but rather they make their opposition play boring.

I think NRL teams are too structured nowadays. They play conservative out of their own end... waiting and hoping for penalties to make the meters whilst their forwards focus on holding the ball. Then when they get a penalty and end up in good ball areas they play structured again with block play, forward settler, block play, kick.

It's predictable and boring, and if the defense is switched on it's easily shut down

I think the reason storm play so fast is they focus on the set up play more than the killer play.

Storm will go 4 tackles of setup to try and get 1 quick ptb and when they get one they attack. Their spine are always watching the defensive line, because their forwards know what their role is and don't really require much management to get around the paddock. Although they do have Cam who can get the team around the park whilst also watching the defensive line.

The current storm regime has been the same for 15 years or so now so the basic structure is ingrained in the team and allows the players to setup subconsciously.

Because it is second nature their players are able to focus on the opposition and wait for them to make the mistake to flick the switch into attack.

I think Souths attack last year showed more of an emphasis to play heads up. Although they still needed Reynolds to get them around the field. I hope that was a precursor with Seibs wanting his structure to put players into positions to attack rather than premeditated structured attack... which to me is how the storm play.
Totally agree. Both the storm and, souths teams react to quick play the balls. If they get one and the hooker takes advantage, the whole team goes with them.

Unfortunately if we get a quick play the ball the hooker may get a sneaky 10-15 metres and possibly one support player but it ends there because no one else responds. I am hoping this clicks for us soon.

Totally agree. Both the storm and, souths teams react to quick play the balls. If they get one and the hooker takes advantage, the whole team goes with them.

Unfortunately if we get a quick play the ball the hooker may get a sneaky 10-15 metres and possibly one support player but it ends there because no one else responds. I am hoping this clicks for us soon.

Our quick play the balls, usually end up with Macca and Boyd crabbing their way upfield head down into submission without even looking for support.
Remember a few games ago, we were stacked to one side, defence was shot and Macca goes the other way to Lodge for the settler...it happened 3 fucking times, aarghh!!

This is why they can play ad-lib footy, because they wrestle you and make use your energy whilst they use very little.
Then they hit you fast with players in motion but hitting the same areas (what we used to call the triangle back in the day), making your forwards work hard in both attack and defense. This compresses your defense then in turn leaves holes on the edges and C Smith is a master of exposing them , especially when your backs are fast and skillful. They just know the best players to use for their brand of footy, and are drilled so well on their roles.

I think our previous style has played right into their hands. One out forward runs to where their middles catch us, wrap up the ball, third takes the legs, ref calls held and then they lower the player onto the ground on their back (and dont get penslised for proceeding with the tackle)..

For years we have continued to run one out and expected a different result. I hope this time, we can get forwards running at their edge making their second rowers and halves go for legs tackles.
If I were coach there'd be a saying the team would have to adopt. It would be 'No one runs alone'. By that I'd mean that there would be no one out hitups except for certain parts of play like after the opposition has kicked to our fullbacks or wingers. After that run I'd insist that every hitup would have a minimum of one player waiting for a pass or offloads.

The goal for the year would be to become known as The Offload Kings. I like the Walkers attitude to keep the ball in play for much longer, denying the opposition time with the ball and making many defenders come forward thus sapping energy from their attack when possession is finally yielded.

I've thought this from day one for the Storm. From their beginning they were immediately top class both in attack and defence. I told my mate who was in prison at the time that the Storm started where the Broncos were after 4 years. I said that was due to Ribot and Johns combining with ex Bronco Glenn Lazurus.

My mate scoffed at that asking 'I suppose you reckon they'll win the comp'. I said they'd give it an almighty shake. They've been the best team for 20 years and it's been daylight to the next contender. Bellamy's been the number 1 coach basically since his debut as head coach.

I don't like the Storm but I certainly admire them and wish the Broncos had the same reputation without the stigma.

If I were coach there'd be a saying the team would have to adopt. It would be 'No one runs alone'. By that I'd mean that there would be no one out hitups except for certain parts of play like after the opposition has kicked to our fullbacks or wingers. After that run I'd insist that every hitup would have a minimum of one player waiting for a pass or offloads.

The goal for the year would be to become known as The Offload Kings. I like the Walkers attitude to keep the ball in play for much longer, denying the opposition time with the ball and making many defenders come forward thus sapping energy from their attack when possession is finally yielded.
I think this is where blair 2015's work went unnoticed. He got offloads away but he was often supporting the other fowards or providing that tip on pass to reduce that pressure on the runner.

I think that this role may have been what seibs was wanting off gillett when he was playing 13. I guess seibs thought he had sufficient ball skills (gillett had played as a fill in 5/8 for us before). But unfortunately it appeared to be a bust.

I have hope for the Broncs under Siebs. After the last game (I think it was), Siebs was asked about TPJ's offloads or something like that and he responded by saying that he actually doesn't want this team to play structured football all the time. This gives me hope once a spine can actually be fit and settled. SOS could well be the key to that as I love how direct he played.

I think this is where blair 2015's work went unnoticed. He got offloads away but he was often supporting the other fowards or providing that tip on pass to reduce that pressure on the runner.

I think that this role may have been what seibs was wanting off gillett when he was playing 13. I guess seibs thought he had sufficient ball skills (gillett had played as a fill in 5/8 for us before). But unfortunately it appeared to be a bust.

It was Blair in tandem with McGuire and Parker, whilst Milford, Nikorima and Hunt sniffing around the ruck for those crumbs. Then we had quick fire PTB from Thaiday which had the opponents back peddling while our backs capitalised.

It was Blair in tandem with McGuire and Parker, whilst Milford, Nikorima and Hunt sniffing around the ruck for those crumbs. Then we had quick fire PTB from Thaiday which had the opponents back peddling while our backs capitalised.

Having Blair and Parker definitely helped with the offloads. Having TPJ and hopefully Haas as he develops should also be good for that now. The Broncs in recent seasons have been killed by other teams offloading at will, so hopefully the young guys in this current side develop that part of their game. Haas, Fifita, Carrigan, Flegler hopefully all develop an offload to complement TPJ and Lodge who already do it.

But in terms of McGuire, he didn't offload much if at all once he went to lock did he? Also, didn't he miss most of the 2015 season? I know he missed the GF.

I reserve a special hatred for the storm

Never forget

Never forgive

Unfortunately, it's probably going to continue to be the case for a while yet. Without any halves, we are even more reliant on power driving with the forwards. You'll continue to see high numbers from guys like Lodge and Haas purely because we'll just keep doing the one out runs (also Lodge seems to enjoy channelling McGuire these days too). The spread just isn't effective with Turpin/Boyd in the halves...unless TPJ keeps getting miracle offloads away.

Having Blair and Parker definitely helped with the offloads. Having TPJ and hopefully Haas as he develops should also be good for that now. The Broncs in recent seasons have been killed by other teams offloading at will, so hopefully the young guys in this current side develop that part of their game. Haas, Fifita, Carrigan, Flegler hopefully all develop an offload to complement TPJ and Lodge who already do it.

But in terms of McGuire, he didn't offload much if at all once he went to lock did he? Also, didn't he miss most of the 2015 season? I know he missed the GF.

You're right, McGuire managed only 13 matches for the season ending in round 16. He debuted that year in Origin, and was more versatile in playing style then what he is now.
Speaking of Origin, his 'offload' playing lock in 2017 sparked the comeback that had QLD win Game 2.

Lodge has a good offload in him but looks a bit stifled at the minute as though he’s been told. Seibold would be trying to instil consistency in defence while keeping it simple in attack. These one out plays will continue until they meet the pass mark. When our defence is where it should be I'm sure he'll allow them to loosen the handbrake a tad. We've got a powerful beast with a big motor we just need to learn how to keep it on the straight and narrow.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.