The Dolphins discussion

I don't quite get it, a single extra team doesn't increase the amount of matches. They need to bring in two teams to gain an extra match.

On the flip side, a rotating bye would be good to give players a break to clear up niggling injuries during the season. Each team will recieve 3 weeks off total with SOO mid year.
Or they could cut two teams who are financial burdens and everyone plays each other twice making it a fair draw.

I don't quite get it, a single extra team doesn't increase the amount of matches. They need to bring in two teams to gain an extra match.

On the flip side, a rotating bye would be good to give players a break to clear up niggling injuries during the season. Each team will recieve 3 weeks off total with SOO mid year.
I have often thought this. It also adds some further complexity to the bye system around origin time too. Obviously most teams would prefer their allocated byes around origin time to give their teams a breather but the fact teams have to have a buy early in the season and others later (even a rest before the finals) provides those with later season and origin time byes an advantage.

Doesn't this just add fuel to the "conspiracy" that the destruction of the Broncos was intentional? It's been sus as hell from the get go

Welcome aboard:

200.gif

Kayo is $25/month and you get pretty much every major sport.

People have been calling for fox to decouple the sport package for years and now that they've done it people turn their nose up at it?
So much this. I used to pay $100 a month for foxtel to watch the league purely so paying $25 a month is great.

If you have a smart tv
A $50 chromecast will also suffice, all you need is a spare HDMI port and Wifi. I have a smart TV and still use mine regularly as not all of the streaming services have an app I can install on the TV.

If the Broncos/FTA thing isn't true, why are Newscorp giving them $75m? Adding a single extra team does nothing for them.

I don't know but I can't imagine Nine would have been too happy to hear that they would be losing 1/4th of their Broncos games. Unless the NRL were intending to sell themselves to the highest FTA bidder, all such a move does is jeopardize the overall value of the next TV rights deal.

Personally I think it was a manufactured rumor/gamble to spook the shit out of Nine, thus milking them for everything they're worth. Kayo is growing exponentially as more and more people catch on to it and switch off their Foxtel because it's trash, so it wouldn't surprise me at all that the NRL see it as a valuable bargaining chip against the FTA players who are rapidly losing relevance in the modern world.

I don't know but I can't imagine Nine would have been too happy to hear that they would be losing 1/4th of their Broncos games. Unless the NRL were intending to sell themselves to the highest FTA bidder, all such a move does is jeopardize the overall value of the next TV rights deal.

Personally I think it was a manufactured rumor/gamble to spook the shit out of Nine, thus milking them for everything they're worth. Kayo is growing exponentially as more and more people catch on to it and switch off their Foxtel because it's trash, so it wouldn't surprise me at all that the NRL see it as a valuable bargaining chip against the FTA players who are rapidly losing relevance in the modern world.

Good point, I like your reasoning. Dobbo said this morning that the teams were hesitant to embrace the new deal as they thought they'd be getting less money, but apparently they'll end up getting more. So maybe it worked?

Good point, I like your reasoning. Dobbo said this morning that the teams were hesitant to embrace the new deal as they thought they'd be getting less money, but apparently they'll end up getting more. So maybe it worked?

Yep, that's probably what happened. That's exactly the sort of underhanded business tactic that V'landal would be good at. Not that I'm complaining because **** Nine and their garbage footy coverage (which is only going to get worse now that Sterlo has flown the coop) but any victory for V'Landys and the current regime is also not a great outcome for us the fans.

Doesn't this just add fuel to the "conspiracy" that the destruction of the Broncos was intentional? It's been sus as hell from the get go
Hanlon's razor.

The board aren't that smart.

kayo is still owned by Fox (Murdoch) and like any monopoly, once it is a lock, it sets the price. It's simple undercut and squeeze tactics. Similar to how most grocery stores and butchers are defunct due to Coles and Woolies and the customers and the producers get squeezed while the corporates make bank.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • LittleDavey
  • Kev_Guz
  • Jedhead
  • Astro
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • Broncorob
  • winslow_wong
  • Jazza
  • FACTHUNT
  • Allo
  • marw
  • Strop
  • Dash
  • Santa
  • Skathen
  • bazza
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Fitzy
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.