The Etiquette of Turncoatery

dukey

dukey

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2008
So I have a dilemma.

Many years ago, before I had any interest in RL, I cheered for Queensland in Origin, for three simple reasons:

1. My team was the Broncos, and the few players I knew were Broncos, so it was heresy to cheer against them at Origin time;

2. I've always cheered the underdogs, and at the time, the Maroons were just that.

3. It confused and pissed off my family and friends, especially mum.

But now, after about five years of cheering for the Maroons, I feel like it's time to get behind my own state. Is this acceptable? The Underdog factor no longer applies, and being a more involved fan, I recognise and am fond of a lot more NSW players than before. And it's Mother's Day on Sunday, what better way to treat her than by siding against the old man and finally giving her someone she can watch Origin with without fear of merciless abuse and heckling?

One should always stand behind the state of which they originate. You are a New South Welshman, it is nonsense to have ever been behind Queensland merely because of the reasons you mention. It's labelled State Of Origin, which applies to both professional Rugby League players and the sport's followers. That is my opinion.

I am from the state of Queensland, therefore I am behind Queensland. Any other pursuasion would not be right and neither should it be for you. icon_smile

Silence said:
One should always stand behind the state of which they originate. You are a New South Welshman, it is nonsense to have ever been behind Queensland merely because of the reasons you mention. It's labelled State Of Origin, which applies to both professional Rugby League players and the sport's followers. That is my opinion.

I am from the state of Queensland, therefore I am behind Queensland. Anything else would not be right and neither should it be for you. icon_smile

That is a fair point, but if I don't feel any passion for a side I can't bring myself to support them. That's why I'm going cold on QLD; it's no longer a thrill to me when they win because I just expect it now. I'm like the reverse of a bandwagon jumper.

QUEENSLANDER said:
how the **** can u switch sides. get out

Simple. He was never a Queenslander. Queenslander's don't switch sides. New South Welshmen sleep with anyone.

Who says it's ok? We're simply saying he's a fake Queenslander and by association a fake Broncos fan, just like you..................

Clearly you missed the ...................................
Thanks for the chomp :P

This thread disgusts me.

How can you people ever support another team (in any sport) against your own State?

I don't get it....I just don't get it. We have always said it, however maybe it is true;
QLDer's love QLD more than NSWmen love NSW.

Hammoz said:
I don't get it....I just don't get it. We have always said it, however maybe it is true;
QLDer's love QLD more than NSWmen love NSW.

I agree 100%, and that's another thing that put me off being a Blue. When they win, everyone wants to celebrate and rub it in, but when they lose, nobody really cares, unlike a lot of QLD fans I know that are usually devestated after a loss.

I cheer anyone playing the Lions or the Reds....does that make me a non-Queenslander?

Coxyz said:
I cheer anyone playing the Lions or the Reds....does that make me a non-Queenslander?

No - it makes you sensible.

The real question is why you are cheering for anyone in those games.

lol, you know what's funny, go to any of the nsw supporters, and they now call origin a 2nd rate competition and they wouldn't want their playing origin in case they get injured for a over hyped outdated rep game LOLOLOL

if nsw was winning, origin is the best competition in the world, now that they're losing, it's a 2nd rate competition... LMAO

broncospwn said:
lol, you know what's funny, go to any of the nsw supporters, and they now call origin a 2nd rate competition and they wouldn't want their playing origin in case they get injured for a over hyped outdated rep game LOLOLOL

if nsw was winning, origin is the best competition in the world, now that they're losing, it's a 2nd rate competition... LMAO

That's been my view for years. I would love for the selectors to snub the Broncos and not pick any of us. Premierships mean way more than Origin.

Hi.
QLD will always be the underdog.
The end.

The Rock said:
You control your own destiny mate. Don't worry about "other" fans. If you can feel the passion then stick with it and go for it. I can't speak for any other NSW fans but I love this place and when I think of NSW Blues I am not only thinking 17 players in Blues jerseys, I also look at the blue on the jersey and say, yep that's my state. I was born and bred here and nothing will ever change that.

Don't worry about that, I never do things by half.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.