The evolution of James Roberts

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
"Jimmy has grown into a leader."

It's a statement you wouldn't have heard about James Roberts 12 months ago, and one that comes from someone who knows him better than most.

Brisbane Broncos teammate David Mead has been amazed by what he has seen from Roberts since arriving at the club in the off-season, astonished by his turnaround off the field.

Mead played with Roberts at the Gold Coast Titans from 2014-2015 before linking up with him at the Broncos this year, but that Roberts from the Titans days was a different person to the one Mead plays with now.

Their time together on the Gold Coast saw Roberts involved in one of a few off-field incidents, with the star centre being arrested for public nuisance during a night out in Surfers Paradise late in 2014.

Before that, Roberts was released from the South Sydney Rabbitohs for a breach of his playing contract in 2012, and this was followed by a release from the Penrith Panthers in 2014 for off-field misbehaviour.

This brought him to the Titans for the next two seasons before he arrived at Red Hill in 2016 to be coached by Wayne Bennett.

Following another incident at the end of 2016, Roberts decided to take responsibility for his actions.

With the support of the Broncos, Roberts checked himself into a rehabilitation centre to help him overcome multifaceted personal issues.

It was a step in the right direction for Roberts who did something so many young men struggle to do – seek help.

It's a decision that has paid dividends on and off the field, with Roberts equal top try-scorer in the NRL and the happiest he's ever been.

It's evident at Brisbane's training sessions, with smiles and laughter coming from a man who looked a shadow of himself just 12 months ago.

Titans fullback Tyrone Roberts spoke of the change he has seen in his cousin.

"He's in a great place. His head's right and he's fit," Tyrone Roberts said.

"His family is there. It's the best I've seen him.

"We're all happy for him. He's enjoying it and loving football. I'm just happy that he's in a good headspace."

Brisbane teammate Matt Gillett has watched 'Jimmy the Jet' develop into a world-class footballer, and the two shared a special moment on Friday night when they single-handedly got the Broncos over the line against the Gold Coast Titans.

Trailing 22-20 with three minutes to go, Gillett charged down a clearing Kane Elgey kick, with the second-row forward recovering the ball 40m from the try line.

He passed to Roberts who had rushed up in support, with the lightening quick centre then beating three defenders to score and win Brisbane the game.

For Gillett this extra effort from Roberts was proof of the change in attitude he has made in recent times.

The extra hard work, determination and heart all showed in that one play, and that made Gillett proud to call Roberts a teammate.

"His transformation over the last few months has been incredible. He has a bit of a troubled past but that is the past," Gillett said.

"What Jimmy is doing now is great. He's doing a great job for himself and it's showing both on and off the footy field.

"He has the right people around him and his footy is showing that. He had his best game against the Titans.

"If he keeps that up with hard work then he'll be a great player for us going into the future. We are around here to support him and that's what the club's about."

The club has done wonders for Roberts, offering support services to help him continue to develop on and off the field.

The Broncos have always stood by their centre, through both the good and the bad times, and sometimes this unbridled support is all someone needs to turn their life around.

"I think he's changed a lot as a person," Mead said.

"We have some great staff at the club who are looking after Jimmy, especially our welfare officer Adam Walsh who has taken him under his wing and looked after him.

"Jimmy has grown into a leader, especially on the field. The talk and experience he brings is invaluable for the team."

"He was one of the reasons why I signed. It was nice to know Jimmy was here."

http://www.nrl.com/the-evolution-of-james-roberts/tabid/10874/newsid/105855/default.aspx

Really glad we stuck by him through his off-field dramas, he's quickly become my favourite player. I wouldn't hesitate if I was management, get him locked up, 4 or 5 year deal.

Remember last year half of BHQ thought he was a waste of money and a centre spot?

Yeah.....

I think people are getting a bit ahead of themselves.

He has had a couple of great games and the rest good games, one average game (Bulldogs), but that could all easily change in the blink of an eye.

All it takes is for shit to hit the fan outside of footy and he has back to his old ways.

He is still a work in progress, and people should wait a bit longer before making comments on what people said about him last year.

I think people are getting a bit ahead of themselves.

He has had a couple of great games and the rest good games, one average game (Bulldogs), but that could all easily change in the blink of an eye.

All it takes is for shit to hit the fan outside of footy and he has back to his old ways.

He is still a work in progress, and people should wait a bit longer before making comments on what people said about him last year.
Ok Debbie Downer

I still believe we would've beat the Cows in the semi last year had JR played. I'm a big fan of his potential as a player and he's improved tenfold under Bennett. Just needed a season to adjust.

After being absolutely amazed over the set of circumstances that saw him come here I threw my support behind him and declared he'd become the best centre in the competition at the Broncos. Now, I always knew it was going to be a work in progress just like it was with Milford but suffice to say it's starting to come into fruition.

The biggest change to Roberts' game has been his defence. It's amazing how it happens but when you look at a player like Yow Yeh, we all knew what he was capable of, but it was efforts with the Locky kick-chase that got him started. To this day, one of my favourite Broncos memories is watching Locky kick deep and seeing Hodgo point out to Yow Yeh to go in. It was like watching the old dog show the pup the ropes. We're starting to see similar efforts from Robbo and it's making a difference.

I'd love nothing more to see him turn his life around up here and win a premiership. Not only because it would mean we'd finally have premiership #7 but because it would surely mean that there were some great Robbo highlights along the way.

I think it's great that people are getting behind him. The more we see the fans embrace the likes of Pangai Jr, Robbo and Ese'ese the more success they can have on and off the field.

After being absolutely amazed over the set of circumstances that saw him come here I threw my support behind him and declared he'd become the best centre in the competition at the Broncos. Now, I always knew it was going to be a work in progress just like it was with Milford but suffice to say it's starting to come into fruition.

The biggest change to Roberts' game has been his defence. It's amazing how it happens but when you look at a player like Yow Yeh, we all knew what he was capable of, but it was efforts with the Locky kick-chase that got him started. To this day, one of my favourite Broncos memories is watching Locky kick deep and seeing Hodgo point out to Yow Yeh to go in. It was like watching the old dog show the pup the ropes. We're starting to see similar efforts from Robbo and it's making a difference.

I'd love nothing more to see him turn his life around up here and win a premiership. Not only because it would mean we'd finally have premiership #7 but because it would surely mean that there were some great Robbo highlights along the way.

I think it's great that people are getting behind him. The more we see the fans embrace the likes of Pangai Jr, Robbo and Ese'ese the more success they can have on and off the field.

@meady liked that post. Does he think he is the old dog showing Roberts the ropes? ;)

Defensively he has improved. Offensively we just needed to get the ball to him more often.

Reading an article written by Matt Shirvington this morning, of the fastest men in the NRL. He ranks James Roberts first. Apparently Jimmy ran an 11.0 100m when he was 14, and his timed 40m at the Broncos in pre season was 4.7s.

The top time recorded in the NFL for the 40 yard dash is 4.22. You do the math on 40m to 40 yards, and Roberts 40 yard time comes to 4.30. That is among the very best ever recorded.

Reading an article written by Matt Shirvington this morning, of the fastest men in the NRL. He ranks James Roberts first. Apparently Jimmy ran an 11.0 100m when he was 14, and his timed 40m at the Broncos in pre season was 4.7s.

The top time recorded in the NFL for the 40 yard dash is 4.22. You do the math on 40m to 40 yards, and Roberts 40 yard time comes to 4.30. That is among the very best ever recorded.
Mead ran 11secs when he was 15 and did 4.7 a few times back in the day which is a common time for those 11 sec runners. The fastest I've ever witnessed is Shannon Walker 4.58 and ppl have told me he's done it quicker...it was a couple of blinks and it was over !

Mead ran 11secs when he was 15 and did 4.7 a few times back in the day which is a common time for those 11 sec runners. The fastest I've ever witnessed is Shannon Walker 4.58 and ppl have told me he's done it quicker...it was a couple of blinks and it was over !
Any word on your cousin's role this weekend?

Shannon Walker was super quick .... it was his only selling point though. Remember watching him tear it up for Tweed a few years ago before he first made NRL.

Akuila Uate would've been well up there in his younger days.

It's that effortless, explosive speed off the mark that marks Roberts as special, creating opportunities where very few could. He just glides through gaps. Beautiful to watch.

I also read somewhere that some years ago he did 10.3 over the 100m which is rather quick.

It's true that Roberts is going to carry some baggage with him, and is in danger of slipping under certain circumstances. But after hearing about the Cultural Dinner, I hope he was involved, because if so it would have further cemented him in our group.

It all seems to have come together after that last controversy. Maybe he was just expecting to have his contract ripped up, again, like all the other times when he was considered a liability, despite his skills. Someone mentioned that it's not like he's just a deadshit, that he does act remorseful and wants to work harder to overcome things, maybe Bennett backing him, when it really did look like the end of his Broncos career, was enough to give him the confidence in himself that he was actually capable of turning his life around. If Bennett encouraged his team-mated to rally behind him too, it would have been even better.

Has he ever really had that sense of belonging? From the sounds of it he didn't have the best upbringing, and splitting up with his wife and being separated from his kid would have been further blows in what may be a pretty lonely life. Maybe he finally feels like he has a home with the Broncos. Who knows, I hope so, for his sake, not just because he's of value on the field, but he's another seemingly well-meaning human who just needs some quality support.

Active Now

• kman
  • johnny plath
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • broncoscope
  • Foordy
  • upthebroncs
  • YeahNahMate
  • BroncosAlways
  • Redfern_1980
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Hurrijo
  • winslow_wong
  • Lurker
  • barker
  • Financeguy
  • BruiserMk1
  • mitch222
  • Rookie Alan
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.