NEWS The five contract issues Brisbane must fix

Haven’t heard anything but my guess is he will stay on and try again next season which will rule him out for 2020.
Shame.
I think there's no chance of him trying again next year unless they tell him by Jan / Feb that he will be in the 53 man roster.

He's 25, his contracts in NRL were never huge, it was his next deal that was going to be the big one. He wouldn't waste another $700k for a maybe.

I'm not even sure I'd want Holmes after his NFL sojourn.

I think signing a guy on huge money after he's been out of the game 18+ months + physically transformed his body to the rigours of another sport, is fraught with danger. There's no guarantee he'll come back the same player he left, where's his head at/motivation at (he would be coming back with his tail between his legs to a sport where he's already achieved everything and people throwing huge cash at him, he may decide to coast) etc etc.
If you look at him it doesn't look like his body changed too much. Not like Hayne did. I think he'd be fine.

One issue that needs fixing and would definitely win some fans back is the jersey. Bring back the retro looking one from 2015. Need the glory day bronco feel back next year and it’d pump up merchandise sales (check out Miami heat). Because design can seriously effect mood which is important to the mentality game.

I think there's no chance of him trying again next year unless they tell him by Jan / Feb that he will be in the 53 man roster.

He's 25, his contracts in NRL were never huge, it was his next deal that was going to be the big one. He wouldn't waste another $700k for a maybe.

There's no way they tell him by Feb when the roster won't be set until August. He'd be gambling another entire year where he could be earning top dollars in the NRL.

Not signing a 30+ year old to a rich long term contract is the kind of improvement we want to see, though, yeah? How is this being spun as a negative?

I wouldn't want to sign Maloney to 3 years, def not. Just more the point of signing Gillett to 3 or 4 years or whatever it was on biggish money. Where was the sense in that.

One issue that needs fixing and would definitely win some fans back is the jersey. Bring back the retro looking one from 2015. Need the glory day bronco feel back next year and it’d pump up merchandise sales (check out Miami heat). Because design can seriously effect mood which is important to the mentality game.
Never a truer word spoken. It may sound irrational, but I think that lasts season's jersey played its part in our slide. It was the worst design we have ever made our boys wear.

if you want to generate some goodwill and some fanbase participation I'd run a interactive webpage on the Broncos site and let the fans choose next years jersey from a range of options. i'd even go as far as letting the fanbase design a potential jersey.

Would Benji Marshall be such a bad move? Photo: Mark Evans/Getty Images

Would Benji Marshall be such a bad move? Photo: Mark Evans/Getty Images

2. OPERATION VAL AND BENJI
THE Broncos should waste no time. They must act today and attempt to blow the Tigers out of the water with an eleventh-hour offer to Benji. It is understood Marshall has agreed in principle to another 12 months with the Tigers, who are clearing salary-cap space to ratify the deal. But what’s to stop Brisbane offering Marshall a better deal? He may be 35 in February but Benji was superb this season and is the perfect seasoned playmaker to bring some guile and direction to the Broncos. Marshall also has fond memories of the Broncos, resurrecting his career at the club in 2017 before signing for more money at the Tigers.

A 12-month return to Red Hill for Benji would give Tom Dearden time to mature and learn beside him. The Broncos should also target Valentine Holmes. He will almost certainly return to Australia from the NFL in January and would be a sensation in the Broncos No.1 jumper.

So much for that one. Benji has resigned with the Tigers for another year.

So much for that one. Benji has resigned with the Tigers for another year.

I honestly don't think Benji was the answer to our woes anyway. We need a half that has at least 2 to 3 years left at the top, whether it be Sezer or Foran etc. Benji is on his way out and would have been nothing but a basic stop-gap solution. We need more than that.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think Benji was the answer to our woes anyway. We need a half that has at least 2 to 3 years left at the top, whether it be Sezer or Foran etc. Benji is on his way out and would have been nothing but a basic stop-gap solution. We need more than that.
Yep. We already had Benji and utterly wasted him. How different the year might've looked if we'd have offloaded Kodi at the start of the season and hung onto Benji.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • Cavalo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Midean
  • Sproj
  • Adammacca
  • BruiserMk1
  • Gaz
  • IceWorks
  • FACTHUNT
  • johnny plath
  • westy316
  • Xzei
  • Matheos
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.