The glaring roster flaw to fix: Broncos not getting bang for big bucks

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
The glaring roster flaw to fix: Broncos not getting bang for big bucks
Joel GouldMon 16 Sep 2019, 07:44 PM
The Brisbane Broncos have a massive flaw in the balance of their player roster that they must rectify in the months ahead to become a premiership force.

After the humiliating 58-0 loss to the Eels in Sunday’s elimination final it is also a flaw that will become an immediate focus for the club’s retention and recruitment committee.

In successful teams, think the Roosters and Storm for a start, the highest-paid players are also those that deliver the most on the field consistently and in the big games.

The Roosters know they can depend on James Tedesco and Cooper Cronk to set the benchmark, as the Storm do with Cameron Smith and Cameron Munster.

At the Broncos the best performers this year have been Payne Haas, David Fifita and Kotoni Staggs. None of them are in the top six on the club's pay scale and none of them play in the crucial spine positions.

Brisbane’s highest-paid players include Anthony Milford, Darius Boyd, Andrew McCullough and Matt Gillett. All four have had underwhelming seasons in varying degrees but take up a large chunk of the cap. That three of that quartet are in the spine creates a dilemma for Brisbane now and into the future.

It is a problem the Broncos hierarchy know must be solved and fixing it will require several tough calls. Milford, Boyd and McCullough are contracted until the end of 2020 and have player options for 2021.

Brisbane’s spine has lacked cohesion, direction and strike for the majority of the season. Against the Eels it was dysfunctional. The Broncos will need to persist with the above-mentioned trio or encourage them to find new clubs, before their deals expire.

If the former option is taken, there is a fear Brisbane will only get more of the same into the immediate future.

The Broncos have young halves Cory Paix and Tom Dearden on their books long-term but those two rookies need to be learning off a Cronk or a Munster, not leading the club on their own.

Brisbane’s powerbrokers may not say it publicly but they recognise that at least two proven big-game performers at hooker, in the halves or at fullback will be needed to fix the mess they are in.

Those are the positions they need to spend big money on but their cap is already stretched to the limit. Upgrades and new deals for Fifita and Staggs, both off contract at the end of 2020, will not come cheap.

The Broncos were torn apart by Mitchell Moses on Sunday, a natural halfback who was in their sights a few years ago. For whatever reason, they failed to go hard for Moses when he was last off contract just as the Anthony Griffin-coached Broncos failed to go hard at Johnathan Thurston when he met the club as a free agent.

Broncos CEO Paul White, in a message to members and supporters, said on Monday there was "a lot of hurt" within the club at the side’s loss to the Eels and acknowledged fans would be feeling the same way.

White we are hurting.
He promised there would be a review and the club would come back stronger in 2020.

It was telling that, when asked what happens next, White said after the review the club would be in a position "to make some decisions about not only next year but beyond next year".

You can take it as a given that the make-up of the roster, and what to do about the club’s under performing big names, will be on the agenda.

To secure proven big-name halves and match-winners in the short term will not be easy but the Broncos have all the resources at their disposal to achieve that mission.

The successful clubs, like the Roosters, make it happen. They went and secured Cronk and Tedesco after the disappointing preliminary final loss to the Cowboys in 2017, just as they lured Sonny Bill Williams back to rugby league in 2013.

The Broncos will need to be brave and ruthless, as they have been in the past when chasing premiership glory.

The views in this article do not necessarily express the opinions of the NRL, ARLC, NRL clubs or state associations.

Brave and ruthless!!
This is the shit our new coach needs to bring to the table. It’s why he was hired!
It’s go time Seibs, knock it on the head now or your career is fucked

This is exactly why 58-0 was so good. Sick of coaches coaching around 'feelings'...time to be pragmatic AF

Last edited:
This is exactly why 58-0 was so good. Sick of coaches coaching around 'feelings'...time to be pragmatic AF
Change needs to be visible quickly too. Fans are hurting... I know the club has had some ordinary performances over the years but **** this just feels like rock bottom. Action can’t wait months or weeks, it’s membership renewal time and numbers will be down for sure. Coaching and management need to be in crisis meetings right now and players need to be held accountable right now for the club to save face.

Brave and ruthless!!
This is the shit our new coach needs to bring to the table. It’s why he was hired!
It’s go time Seibs, knock it on the head now or your career is fucked

Trust the process. He got dis. Was brave enought to punt deadwood like McGuire, Roberts and Kahu. One off season and u will be wondering why you were so worried.
[automerge]1568637509[/automerge]
Change needs to be visible quickly too. Fans are hurting... I know the club has had some ordinary performances over the years but **** this just feels like rock bottom. Action can’t wait months or weeks, it’s membership renewal time and numbers will be down for sure. Coaching and management need to be in crisis meetings right now and players need to be held accountable right now for the club to save face.

We have had it too good for too long. A season like this gives perspective and makes you appreciate the good times..

Last edited:

We'll see some scalps probably by the end of the week if they fast track it. Boyd will be retired within weeks.

On foxleague last night, Nathan Brown was suggesting we might have to let Fifita go in order to scrape the cash together to buy a half. Seems highly unlikely we would do that, and I hope we fucking well don't. But I scratch my head everyday when I think that we re-signed Offa on 500k or whatever figure it was whilst we have still to wrap up Fifita. Fucking ridiculous
decision that was!

Last edited:
If they don't want to go, send them to qcup and play money ball. Do as Hasler has done and bring in people you know can do a job. Any simpleton can see our most experienced players on the most money are fucking phoning it in.

to be fair i think that's whats happening now...

It's still early doors but it seems we have gone for an all out youth policy.
We have signed some elite talent with some potential coming through but I cant see how this will work out .
This side is so young we are at least 2 - 3 years away from being a genuine threat. When we do finally mature we will be under siege from other clubs and no chance of keeping this squad together .
We have no balance with older guys retiring and younger guys stepping up to take their spots.
Seibs and White have their work cut out to recalibrate this squad so there is some order .
We are over committed in the forwards, skinny on outside backs, confused on what our spine should look like and seemingly devoid of balls to make the call on Darius.
Brody Croft is no answer to anything either IMO, he becomes a road block for Dearden and is still learning himself so not much help from a mentoring pov.
Scary times at our club, if this doesn't work out we are probably 6 to 10 years away from contesting a gf.

On foxleague last night, Nathan Brown was suggesting we might have to let Fifita go in order to scrape the cash together to buy a half. Seems highly unlikely we would do that, and I hope we fucking well don't. But I scratch my head everyday when I think that we re-signed Offa on 500k or whatever figure it was whilst we have still to wrap up Fifita. Fucking ridiculous
decision that was!
Fifita would not have signed at the time. His manager waited another year hoping to push his price up. Players won't just agree to extend because you want them to.
Also, I think Offa will come good next year.

[automerge]1569580704[/automerge]
If they don't want to go, send them to qcup and play money ball. Do as Hasler has done and bring in people you know can do a job. Any simpleton can see our most experienced players on the most money are fucking phoning it in.
Macca, Gillett, Boyd all go to QCUP for mine.

Last edited:
decision that was!

We've got at least a mill free up at the moment, and thats before releasing Bird.

Active Now

• Tim K
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dash
  • Fozz
  • Waynesaurus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • Stix
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Morkel
  • broncs30
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • Galah
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.