OFFICIAL The Kevolution - (Walters new coach of the Broncos)

It's worked out well. Following Bennett's very high standards is a task no coach has managed before, so coming in after Seibold with expectations miles below ground level is going to be a much easier task for him. How good would it be to have some success with Kevvie, the fans all love him, crowds will be back.

I just hope he has the coaching chop, I don't think he'll have issues with the players buying in. The fact that he's got strong assistants makes me think he'll surprise a few people. One of WB's strongest assets as a coach is he always gets a really strong coaching team around him. Seibold's biggest failure was hiring a bunch of numpties, maybe he was scared high profile assistants may get credit if the team goes well.
Well yeah, Pies only got his start by white-anting and backstabbing Maguire so it makes sense he'd be afeared of it happening to him.

It is what happens when you go into an interview with a pre-conceived decision.

Yeah I get that but what I don’t get is what made them have a pre-conceived decision in the first place that siebold was going to be the coach.

I guess getting a couple rookie coaches run the team to the wooden spoon certainly helps a bloke like walters get out from Wayne's shadow but I feel it may have a slightly negative impact on the club.

Yeah I get that but what I don’t get is what made them have a pre-conceived decision in the first place that siebold was going to be the coach.

He won coach of the year and looked headed places. He had turned Damien Cook from a journeyman to a genuine rep player and had Souths' attack looking great. The appeal was obvious but they screwed it up by kicking out Bennett the way they did and offering Seibold a ridiculous contract with no get out clause for the club. Essentially, the Broncs and their preferred coach all stuffed it up badly and then it just snowballed into NRL hell as bad decision after bad decision just kept being made by the board and the coach.

I can’t believe that even after the context has been described in detail that people still run with the “Boyd doesn’t take the game seriously” narrative.
Yes yes yes. It makes you wonder about their other opinions too. I know I shouldn't be too harsh but if their reasoning is so impaired by hatred and jealousy when the context of his statements are well known to them I cannot help but discount their views on other subjects.

You don't get to the elite level like Boyd did by not taking the game seriously and anyone who argues otherwise is frankly deluded.

I would however question whether or not he took the fans seriously particularly in light of the stupid gender reveal stunt, which was at best utterly tone deaf, and at worst was totally insensitive and disrespectful to the club and the people who care about it in their darkest hour.

I can accept that Boyd more than most has probably got good reasons to not concern himself with the opinions of fans, but I still think even his most rusted on supporters would struggle to justify that sort of selfishness and lack of regard for the fans, those Boyd supporters themselves included, who probably deserved a bit more consideration at such a sombre time.
I see your point but I cannot say what happened after the last game had an impact on me. I wouldn't have known about it were it not reported and even knowing later it meant very very little. In fact, no one I know even mentioned it. We knew months before we weren't playing finals and the players themselves felt that pain.

The fact that the guys chose to spend a few minutes with fans who still cared about them still and that Boyd sort that chance to celebrate a rare moment of joy with them was actually kind of nice. It comes down to what you have invested in the game. The team had had enough of feeling miserable and just wanted a few minutes of fun. Fair enough I say.

He won coach of the year and looked headed places. He had turned Damien Cook from a journeyman to a genuine rep player and had Souths' attack looking great. The appeal was obvious but they screwed it up by kicking out Bennett the way they did and offering Seibold a ridiculous contract with no get out clause for the club. Essentially, the Broncs and their preferred coach all stuffed it up badly and then it just snowballed into NRL hell as bad decision after bad decision just kept being made by the board and the coach.
Many people were able to notice the flaws Seibold had whilst at the Rabbitohs though. There were many and they were quite obvious. He got very lucky with a good group coming into their prime at the Rabbits that were used to being drilled at 120% already

Should also note that regarding Cook, Seibold had the luck of the refs not calling when a Burgii had taken out a marker giving Cook all that room to run in. Whereas Bennett, who was allegedly done at that point according to some added a kicking game to Cook.
Also did you guys know that Damien Cook was a beach sprinter?

Many people were able to notice the flaws Seibold had whilst at the Rabbitohs though. There were many and they were quite obvious. He got very lucky with a good group coming into their prime at the Rabbits that were used to being drilled at 120% already

Please don't take my comment as a defense of the board. I was ok with hiring Seibold but certainly not ok with the length of contract or his sook when he wanted to come early.

At the time the choice looked sensible, what was inexcusable were the terms of the deal, a complete negotiation and contract fail. Would never have been an issue if Pies hadn't tanked... but he did and here we are. These fails appear to have plenty of friends as we keep seeing with players we don't want to keep being able to stay on with options in their favour at over market value.

Last edited:
Kevvie needs to bring in some old heads, leaders on the training track hopefully and I do think this is one area Macca helps out by coming back. He also needs to put up a teamsheet with no names on it and say boys, every position is open, you show you me you want to be on it, I don't care your name, your past or your standing in the game.

Kevvie's assistants also need to instill some kind of structure in both attack and defense, that is a priority from week 2 after players in different positions have been identified. The Broncos have (and always will have) guys who can score a try from nothing but that should be the icing on the cake, not the icing on a pile of a poo.
Your two paragraphs contradicted each other. You can't have structure in attack and defence without having set names in particular positions for consistency sake.

Sorry, it is just a game. Boyd had it in perspective. Even involved at the highest level he didn't live his life vicariously through the game as so many fans do. Besides, his quote is not given it's proper context, it was after all used when describing rabid fans attacking players ,coaches, referees and their families and how these 'rabid' fans attached way too much significance to what in my opinion is 'just a game'.
Na. This is the mindset that breeds mediocrity

I can’t believe that even after the context has been described in detail that people still run with the “Boyd doesn’t take the game seriously” narrative.
Tell that to the gender reveal moment

Not these days it isn't
Getting to the bottom of the top 8 should be a fairly simple game for a club like the Broncos with their built in advantages. I mean how hard is it to install a good culture and basic structure in defence and attack? Forgetting about the previous 2 years. I am guessing not that hard and I think the Broncs will be top 8 material next year on this basis alone.

Winning a comp requires what seems to be a little bit more which was the whole reason WB was moved on I thought? Though that theory could be proven wrong in 1-2 weeks time if Souths salute this year.

What the game desperately requires is a science to play and list management and recruiting/retention. I'm very interested in this subject and the little I have seen with the whole player manager nepotism (I mean how many warriors/broncs swaps will be forced to endure?) around the Broncos seems like they are stuck in the 1980's with this. Despite Pies reputation as Mr Harvard and implementing cutting edge theories there was no evidence whatsoever of anything faintly resembling data driven goodness.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Cavalo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Midean
  • Sproj
  • Adammacca
  • BruiserMk1
  • Gaz
  • IceWorks
  • FACTHUNT
  • johnny plath
  • westy316
  • Xzei
  • Matheos
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.