OFFICIAL The Kevolution - (Walters new coach of the Broncos)

He won coach of the year and looked headed places. He had turned Damien Cook from a journeyman to a genuine rep player and had Souths' attack looking great. The appeal was obvious but they screwed it up by kicking out Bennett the way they did and offering Seibold a ridiculous contract with no get out clause for the club. Essentially, the Broncs and their preferred coach all stuffed it up badly and then it just snowballed into NRL hell as bad decision after bad decision just kept being made by the board and the coach.

The club has as much admitted that they had to offer him the ridiculous contract with it’s huge cost, built-in long term security for him and a complete lack of fallback position for the club, or he would have turned us down.

That should have rung alarm bells clearly. A first year coach threatens to turn us down? We should have laughed at him then and gone straight out and signed Madge Maguire...

Last edited:
The club has as much admitted that they had to offer him the ridiculous contract with it’s huge cost, built-in long term security for him and a complete lack of fallback position for the club, or he would have turned us down.

That should have rung alarm bells clearly. A first year coach threatens to turn us down? We should have laughed at him then and gone straight out and signed Madge Maguire...
Or kept one of the greatest coaches in rugby league history by actually honouring the contract the Broncos signed in good faith! It's not like WB was failing or had brought shame on the club. Sure, laughed at Seeplod but been a club of honour would have been the 'Broncos of old' way. Just imagine if the club had been honourable. Having the wooden spoon, although possible would have been 50,000 to 1. Worst sporting decision in rugby league history.

Or kept one of the greatest coaches in rugby league history by actually honouring the contract the Broncos signed in good faith! It's not like WB was failing or had brought shame on the club. Sure, laughed at Seeplod but been a club of honour would have been the 'Broncos of old' way. Just imagine if the club had been honourable. Having the wooden spoon, although possible would have been 50,000 to 1. Worst sporting decision in rugby league history.
It's funny to think about now, but at the tme finishing any lower than 4th was considered an absolute failure. To do less than win a grand final was at best a "C" grade (meaning you keep your job but it better happen soon).
I think now we have seen how bad it can get, Walters may be given a little more patience but I suspect, by his third season if the team isnt entrenched in the top 4 he will be gone.
Frankly, I'd be happy to see us make the bottom of the 8 by his second year and repeat it to keep his job. Next year will be a painful one for us fans but we definitely will have the expectation for at least the top of the bottom 8 (9th to 12th) and I think it achievable.
Any better than that and I think he will be kept around for a while.

Having the wooden spoon, although possible would have been 50,000 to 1. Worst sporting decision in rugby league history.
That’s my only regret this year was not betting on the Broncos receiving the spoon - the payout alone have consoled me until next year.

That’s my only regret this year was not betting on the Broncos receiving the spoon - the payout alone have consoled me until next year.

Yeah I didn’t do it because I never thought it possible especially after the first two rounds.
Whilst it would have been Judas money it still would have looked good sitting in my account.
There is no money in being loyal for the sake of it as the banks don’t let you deposit loyalty.

Yeah I didn’t do it because I never thought it possible especially after the first two rounds.
Whilst it would have been Judas money it still would have looked good sitting in my account.
There is no money in being loyal for the sake of it as the banks don’t let you deposit loyalty.
Your avatar makes me feel uncomfortable

I’ve had it for 5 years what’s changed now?
Sorry, I meant like visually it makes me uncomfortable. Uncanny valley or something haha. Keep it, it’s great. Just something unsettling about it that I can’t put my finger on

Sorry, I meant like visually it makes me uncomfortable. Uncanny valley or something haha. Keep it, it’s great. Just something unsettling about it that I can’t put my finger on

It's a muscular Bojack Horseman in a Broncos jersey.

It's funny to think about now, but at the tme finishing any lower than 4th was considered an absolute failure. To do less than win a grand final was at best a "C" grade (meaning you keep your job but it better happen soon).
I think now we have seen how bad it can get, Walters may be given a little more patience but I suspect, by his third season if the team isnt entrenched in the top 4 he will be gone.
Frankly, I'd be happy to see us make the bottom of the 8 by his second year and repeat it to keep his job. Next year will be a painful one for us fans but we definitely will have the expectation for at least the top of the bottom 8 (9th to 12th) and I think it achievable.
Any better than that and I think he will be kept around for a while.

We have no genuine fullback. No settled hooker and an un-settled halves pairing, little to no chance of signing anyone significant and no-one knocking down the door in any of those positions, screaming ‘I’m the new superstar you’ve all been waiting for.’

Kevvie if he has achieves anything, is literally going to have to build that champion team, because he sure doesn’t have a team of champions with this squad...

We are so ridiculously far away from the top 4 it‘s disgusting. Even top 8 will be a monumental effort, because I see nothing special whatsoever about our current squad.

As I said 9th to 12th is reasonable. Enough wins against the lesser teams to make us competitive and the occasional upset.
My point was as fans we are an impatient lot, and the potential arrival of a second Brisbane will only worsen that.
I'm counting on Walters to get the most out of what we have. If we only get 3 or 4 wins like this year he will not survive. Accepting that we will not in any likelyhood make the 8 is demonstrative of how far we have fallen.

As I said 9th to 12th is reasonable. Enough wins against the lesser teams to make us competitive and the occasional upset.
My point was as fans we are an impatient lot, and the potential arrival of a second Brisbane will only worsen that.
I'm counting on Walters to get the most out of what we have. If we only get 3 or 4 wins like this year he will not survive. Accepting that we will not in any likelyhood make the 8 is demonstrative of how far we have fallen.

Maybe a sightly different view, just for argument's sake.

Perhaps Walters ought to be compared to what Seibold achieved in his first year as coach, in 2019, which incidentally, in terms of end-of-year outcomes, wasn't that much different to what we achieved in 2018 under Bennett. Just for argument's sake, and arguments I am sure I will get.

Last edited:

Perhaps Walters ought to be compared to what Seibold achieved in his first year as coach, in 2019, which incidentally, in terms of end-of-year outcomes, wasn't that much different to what we achieved in 2018 under Bennett. Just for argument's sake, and arguments I am sure I will get.
Even 2019 was a disaster though. Yeah we made the 8, but we had something like the lowest cut off to the top 8 in NRL history (someone can fact check this).

I can't hold Walters to the same standards I held Seibold. Seibold came in as the big dog, made a huge song and dance about all this BS he's going to do and having really strong contracts, and signed for 5 years.

Walters is coming in as the second choice guy, on exactly the contract Seibold should have signed (2 years/500k-ish), so even if it doesn't work, it's not going to cripple the club the way Seibold did.

Just so it's on the record though, anything other than a finals finish is a failure, and that goes for Walters too. Now if we miss out by 2 points it's not the end of the world as long as the trajectory looks good but a bottom 4 finish and I'd be wanting Walters gone too. That's not unrealistic, I think if we sacked Seibold at the halfway mark and went with Gentle, we'd have finished like 10-12 instead. We went from turnstyles to semi-not-shit once Gentle took over in a space of two weeks. All Gentle had to work with was himself and... Wong? I imagine Walters with his assistants are much more formidable.

At this stage I will take a top 8 spot even if it’s a first week exit.

Even 2019 was a disaster though. Yeah we made the 8, but we had something like the lowest cut off to the top 8 in NRL history (someone can fact check this).

I can't hold Walters to the same standards I held Seibold. Seibold came in as the big dog, made a huge song and dance about all this BS he's going to do and having really strong contracts, and signed for 5 years.

Walters is coming in as the second choice guy, on exactly the contract Seibold should have signed (2 years/500k-ish), so even if it doesn't work, it's not going to cripple the club the way Seibold did.

Just so it's on the record though, anything other than a finals finish is a failure, and that goes for Walters too. Now if we miss out by 2 points it's not the end of the world as long as the trajectory looks good but a bottom 4 finish and I'd be wanting Walters gone too. That's not unrealistic, I think if we sacked Seibold at the halfway mark and went with Gentle, we'd have finished like 10-12 instead. We went from turnstyles to semi-not-shit once Gentle took over in a space of two weeks. All Gentle had to work with was himself and... Wong? I imagine Walters with his assistants are much more formidable.

I like your analysis although I feel you are being a bit hard on Kevvie.

For mine, comparisons in our context are invidious. My point above was to suggest that.

I reckon it's unfair on Kevvie to hit him with unrealistic expectations other than, as you say to have a decent positive trajectory that can only go up, paddling furiously with a wooden spoon as the oar in the new boat he has to build.

Given what he has to work with, and the history he has to unravel, dissect and then move forward from with a new plan will be bloody hard. Our situation is complex as the decline started maybe from 2017. 2020 was a complete dog's breakfast for lots of reasons, injuries to key players being a major mind boggle. Our spine is fractured, building successful combinations - the secret to any successful side, is a daunting task, again given what we have. Letting Macca go when we did destabilised the team big time. So, trying to draw fair comparisons between coaches is really pointless.

I admire Walters for his optimism, resolve and commitment. For me, a mid-table finish will be great, and a top 8 finish is entirely realistic barring injury catastrophes. Kevvie also has some real assets, some serious positives, such as a hopefully fit Bird, a continuing, evolving combination between Milford and Dearden, a fantastic core of forwards, the return of Staggs, Herbie getting better and better and for mine, a fully fit and firing TPJ.

Bring it on!

Last edited:
I'm expecting a finish somewhere between 10th and 13th next year. We certainly aren't making finals, not with the shitshow of a squad we have currently, and it is going to take more than one off season to de-program the players out of whatever pot plant regime Seibold had them under, not to mention the psychological work needed to break them out of this entitled indifference attitude that permeates the place. They need to be surrounded by more old boys than just Walters to achieve that. Get Pearl, Webby and Petero in there once or twice a week to get the whips cracking and line up the 6 premierships against the wall right in front of the gym equipment.

Frankly for my part, anything outside a bottom 4 finish would be a positive outcome. Then we can really get the broom out from a salary cap point of view and go to market in a big way in 2022.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wolfie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Painin the Haas
  • Redux
  • Gympie devil
  • ChewThePhatt
  • NSW stables
  • Skyblues87
  • Harry Sack
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • Midean
  • rj9
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fozz
  • Bish
  • Browny
... and 56 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.