NEWS The Lockyer legacy Milford wants to emulate

From what I saw in the trials, O'Sullivan kicked more on the third tackle than what Niko and Milf did combined throughout the first 4 rounds especially in the attacking 20. Something has to change but I don't think he is the saviour we are hoping he is

Kicking on the 3rd is obviously a coaching tactic. Can work but we do it to much imo

Kicking on the 3rd is obviously a coaching tactic. Can work but we do it to much imo
It could work but when we are behind and have been defending 74% of the time we need our hands on the ball as much as possible. Even beginner coaches know that.

I think it may be a Bennett tactic, and sometime old habits are hard to break (especially after only a month) ...

if you look back over the last several years, Hunt used to do it frequently ... then when he went the Dragons and we thought it would stop, but Milford and Nikorima started doing it.

it can be a good tactic under the right circumstances, unfortunately, our kickers rarely use it under the right circumstances

I think it may be a Bennett tactic, and sometime old habits are hard to break (especially after only a month) ...

if you look back over the last several years, Hunt used to do it frequently ... then when he went the Dragons and we thought it would stop, but Milford and Nikorima started doing it.

it can be a good tactic under the right circumstances, unfortunately, our kickers rarely use it under the right circumstances

Exactly. It can work when it is rare and unexpected. At the Broncs it happens often and always expected.

Exactly. It can work when it is rare and unexpected. At the Broncs it happens often and always expected.
And if you simply must do it like we did last night (which, as I said in an earlier post, we shouldn’t have), FFS find touch.

Have a breather, regroup, set your defence.

Don’t leave it in play and allow Tupou and Tedesco to make easy metres, get quick PTB’s and start the roll-on once more.

It really is basic stuff, but for some reason has been part of our gameplan for the last 3 or so years and about 90% of the time we use it in the absolute worst way.

Yeah suddenly McGuire's 4th tackle runs don't seem so bad.

I noticed it ramped up when JD became offensive assistant so around 2016 or 2017... although it was more kicking on third looking for repeat sets.

It was brought into vogue by Joey and Lockyer was a master of it... but you need a serious long kicking game to take advantage. Lockyer used to do those big raking long kicks into the corner from his 30/40 when the fullback was out of position.

It 100% has a place in our game plan still and I find that Macca picks the best time to do it, but the length of his kick is about 15-20m short of where it needs to be for it to be effective

Last edited:
And if you simply must do it like we did last night (which, as I said in an earlier post, we shouldn’t have), FFS find touch.

Have a breather, regroup, set your defence.

Don’t leave it in play and allow Tupou and Tedesco to make easy metres, get quick PTB’s and start the roll-on once more.

It really is basic stuff, but for some reason has been part of our gameplan for the last 3 or so years and about 90% of the time we use it in the absolute worst way.
I think that is a serious issue we have at the moment. Milf, Kodi and Macca do not have a good enough kicking game to find touch and give us a break.

I remember Seibold talking about the longest time the ball is in play is typically 7-8mins or something... but that doesn't take into account a team that is unable to kick it dead to give the team a break.

On some of those 3rd tackle kicks if they managed to kick it into touch within the opposition's 10m line for a scrum we'd be cheering them.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • Skyblues87
  • RodF
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Battler
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • broncsgoat
  • Splinter
  • BroncosAlways
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.