The McKinnon incident debate

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Hes been found guilty apparently, looking at 7-11 weeks suspension. Pardon my French, but that is absolute bullshit.

I agree, I think 2 weeks would have been fair, it's not an 11 week ban type of tackle. Poor guy.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Hopefully this sends a message to the other players in the comp.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong but if he gets even like 9 weeks wont that be in about the top 4 or 5 longest suspensions ever handed out by the NRL?

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Hes been found guilty apparently, looking at 7-11 weeks suspension. Pardon my French, but that is absolute bull****.

That's what the prosecution are asking for...doesn't mean that's what he's going to get though.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
The nrl is asking for five weeks for the actual tackle! In what world was that worth 5 weeks suspension if he doesn't get injured!?!?! Theyre then asking for a further 6 weeks because of the extent of the injury.

This is just beyond a joke. The actual tackle didn't even warrant a penalty, let alone 5 weeks. A regular classic spear tackle doesn't even get you 5 weeks for crying out loud!! Fucking nrl just have to prove how stupid they are at every opportunity.

Last edited:
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
7 weeks is too much but it is a small price to pay when you think that Alex McKinnon will probably never walk again.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Rubbish penalty, 2-3 weeks was a perfectly fine punishment.. gives him a stint on the sidelines, shows that the NRL has common sense and common decency, I can guarantee that if it were up to McKinnon he wouldn't be giving McLean 11 weeks on the sideline for an accident, even with the extent of his injuries.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Harsh but it's pretty clear the judiciary was concerned about sending a message with this. To the casuals, I can see 2-3 weeks being seen as a slap on the wrist for somebody who paralyzed another player.

The problem is there is no consistensy and tackles that were far worse didn't receive the penalty they should have.

Too little, much too late.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
that penalty is way to harsh ... 1-2 weeks max is what he should have gotten. I know there was a devastating injury, but a b ig part of the reason he was injury was the 2 other 100kg+ guys in the tackle. i mean the tackle was barely past the horizontal. now for the NRL to show any kind of consistency they will need to hand out 7 weeks suspensions every time a similar tackle occurs and that is crazy.

Injury really shouldn't come into it unless it is serious deliberate foul play (e.g a king hit)

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
I was expecting him to get 1-2.

Getting 7 weeks is way to harsh, they factored in the injury that McKinnon suffered.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Just living with the fact that his tackle ended the career of a young man and dramatically changed his life forever would be enough punishment in itself. I could understand a 1 or 2 week suspension but 7 is a bit over the top.

It was a tragic accident not intentional in any way shape or form

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Absolute crock of shit and I hope he doesn't get that long, as someone already pointed out that's just what they've asked for. With regards to sending a message, if the injury to McKinnon isn't a strong enough fucking message then I highly doubt a couple of extra weeks on the sideline will have much of an effect. 5 weeks for the tackle alone? Get....fucked.

Last edited:
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Absolute crock of shit and I hope he doesn't get that long, as someone already pointed out that's just what they've asked for. With regards to sending a message, if the injury to McKinnon isn't a strong enough fucking message then I highly doubt a couple of extra weeks on the sideline will have much of an effect. 5 weeks for the tackle alone? Get....fucked.

he actually got 7 weeks panel apparently came back in 10 mins ... the fix was in

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

the NRL prosecutor asked for the tackle to be considered a grade 3 dangerous throw (525 demerit points) and add a further 600 demerit points on top due to the seriousness of the injury to Mckinnon

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
IMO two weeks was enough but at the same time I can understand how they came to that punishment. They were saying on nrl 360 that they try to run the judiciary in the same process as a court of law, where they take out the emotion and just look solely at facts.

If you think of this like a negligence case to me it becomes understandable. A negligence case is like a formula of does the persons training/knowledge hold them higher than the average joe, should they have known not to do what they did and what is the consequence of them doing what they had been trained not to do. With that in mind I can see how they get 7 weeks.

Yes there was no malice or intent in the tackle, yes there have been far worse tackles that have received no punishment. But removing all that and all the emotion, the player knew that any lift can go awry and through performing the lift he lead directly to a player potentially never walking again

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  • Pablo
  • Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.