NEWS The numbers proving Walsh’s return can – and must – salvage Broncos’ season

BHQArticleImageLarge89

Lining up for sideline conversions, taking time to ask kids in the crowd if they had any luck fishing during the school holidays – fan favourite Reece Walsh is back at Red Hill for the Broncos.

And the Brisbane fullback’s return is vital, for it must mark the re-invigoration of the team’s attack, which has faltered throughout a four-match losing streak.

Walsh can expect plenty of attention from the Panthers on Friday night, with NSW Blues tormentor and new Queensland public enemy No.1 Liam Martin tipped to single out the enigmatic Maroons star.

Since Walsh’s last outing for the side – against the Gold Coast Titans in round 12, after which State of Origin and concussion recovery sidelined him from club duties – the Broncos have made just seven tries in three games.

In the eight clashes the 21-year-old had been able to complete, Brisbane scored 38 tries, with Walsh scoring nine, while coming up with eight line breaks, eight line-break assists and four try assists.

In the No.1’s absence, the Broncos attack has lacked creativity – winger Deine Mariner has scored four tries out wide, while the other three tries have come through close-range forward power.

Coach Kevin Walters admitted Walsh’s loss had dented his side’s offence, but blame can be laid in an escalating error rate: 54 in their past four defeats, for a set-completion rate of just 71.5 per cent.

“Of course, with no Reece Walsh [the attack has struggled] – every team is like that – but at different stages in games we look like a million dollars, we look like a team that could score a lot of points,” Walters said.

“Then other times when we get disrupted, and we don’t have our discipline – we look like a team that’s sitting where we are sitting [10th].

“I think it’s a mixture of a bit of attitude … a little bit of overthinking, a little bit of lack of confidence. Just all little bits that have been around the team, but I expect them to be mowed over tomorrow night with the week’s training we’ve had.

“The creative spark’s still there; we just have to hold the ball – that brings players like Reece and Ezra [Mam], Deine Mariner, Selwyn Cobbo into the game.

“It’s missing because we haven’t had our discipline right. We get our discipline right and Walshy will explode.”

The last time Walsh faced three-time defending champions Penrith, he left the field just four minutes in, after suffering a facial fracture in Taylan May’s attempts to shut him down.

“I’m not sure what they’re going to come up with, but as long as it’s within the rules, we’re fine,” Walters said.

Walters will also welcome back Origin forwards Payne Haas and Pat Carrigan for the return to Suncorp Stadium, after the pair – along with Walsh – were rested for the defeat to the Warriors.

Sydney Morning Herald

S

Spoon

QCup Player
May 24, 2015
With those dirty Panthers I hope he doesn't get injured. Also hope he doesn't get picked for origin too so he can get some confidence back and focus on the Broncos

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Given the amount of games he has missed, it would be foolish to expect all our problems to be solved with a rusty Walsh return. While it will definitely help, the rest of the team can't just wait for him to do it all himself.

This is why I am expecting two more losses. Penrith is tough at the best of times, let alone when playing as poorly as we are. Then we take on the Dragons with probably only 12 players available.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Given the amount of games he has missed, it would be foolish to expect all our problems to be solved with a rusty Walsh return. While it will definitely help, the rest of the team can't just wait for him to do it all himself.
Also noting that a Walsh having to play when he's behind on the scoreboard can get a bit erratic and there's no Reynolds to reign him in.

If a few 50/50's actually stick and some bounces go our way for once... we could end up with an early lead and giving the team confidence.

If they dont then we're relying on defending our errors... which has not been good this year... and our total lack of physicality or ability to win any sort of field position isnt helping with that.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
This is why I am expecting two more losses. Penrith is tough at the best of times, let alone when playing as poorly as we are. Then we take on the Dragons with probably only 12 players available.
I worry what the team could look like vs dragons.

Walsh, Patty, Haas and Cobbo gone at bare minimum... and Jensen an outside chance, because Qld are running out of forwards.

1. Sailor
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Karapani
5. Mariner
6. Ezra
7. Madden
8. Willison
9. Billy
10. Taupau
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Kobe

14. Smoothy
15. ??
16. ??
17. Oates

18. Rogers

Missing (12 players)
- Reynolds
- Haas
- Patty
- Walsh
- Cobbo
- Jensen
- BTK
- Gos
- Hunt
- Baker
- Hoeter
- Pereira

12 missing from the top 30 and needing to name 18... luckily we've got all 4 hookers available 🙄🙄

I feel like I'm missing someone to go on the bench, but at the moment can we name a prop to come off the bench?? Is Semu getting a debut after playing like 2 games of Cup.

Do we play Riki in the middle at times?? (Oates / Patston onto the edge off the bench)
I think he has the size to play in the middle and that is something we definitely lack heading into next week.

Can definitely see Mozer being named on the bench and Smoothy spending some time at lock.

Can we do something crazy and see Billy spend some time at lock though... he might be one person in our squad that could replicate Patty's ball playing and his defence can at times be good enough to cut blokes in half... stamina and having a smaller middle defence would be the concern

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020

Walsh, Patty, Haas and Cobbo gone at bare minimum... and Jensen an outside chance, because Qld are running out of forwards.

1. Sailor
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Karapani
5. Mariner
6. Ezra
7. Madden
8. Willison
9. Billy
10. Taupau
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Kobe

14. Smoothy
15. ??
16. ??
17. Oates

18. Rogers

Missing (12 players)
- Reynolds
- Haas
- Patty
- Walsh
- Cobbo
- Jensen
- BTK
- Gos
- Hunt
- Baker
- Hoeter
- Pereira

12 missing from the top 30 and needing to name 18... luckily we've got all 4 hookers available 🙄🙄

I feel like I'm missing someone to go on the bench, but at the moment can we name a prop to come off the bench?? Is Semu getting a debut after playing like 2 games of Cup.

Do we play Riki in the middle at times?? (Oates / Patston onto the edge off the bench)
I think he has the size to play in the middle and that is something we definitely lack heading into next week.

Can definitely see Mozer being named on the bench and Smoothy spending some time at lock.

Can we do something crazy and see Billy spend some time at lock though... he might be one person in our squad that could replicate Patty's ball playing and his defence can at times be good enough to cut blokes in half... stamina and having a smaller middle defence would be the concern
Depends on how Origin goes, but the origin guys might back up. Especially given both games will be in Brisbane.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Depends on how Origin goes, but the origin guys might back up. Especially given both games will be in Brisbane.
Can't play vs dargs in round 19.

I expect all the origin players to back up vs Newcastle in round 20 though. Game 3 in Qld so no flights to deal with and then a bye in a few weeks... plus we need all hands on deck from that point on... no more fucking around for the origin guys who have had their heads focussed on the exhibition series.

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
Can't play vs dargs in round 19.

I expect all the origin players to back up vs Newcastle in round 20 though. Game 3 in Qld so no flights to deal with and then a bye in a few weeks... plus we need all hands on deck from that point on... no more fucking around for the origin guys who have had their heads focussed on the exhibition series.
My bad, got confused about when origin was lol.

At least they won't have Hunt/Lomax. But yea, we're running out if players.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009

1. Sailor
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Karapani
5. Mariner
6. Ezra
7. Madden
8. Willison
9. Billy
10. Taupau
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Kobe

14. Smoothy
15. ??
16. ??
17. Oates

18. Rogers

Missing (12 players)
- Reynolds
- Haas
- Patty
- Walsh
- Cobbo
- Jensen
- BTK
- Gos
- Hunt
- Baker
- Hoeter
- Pereira

Here's one out of the box. Smoothy played a fair bit of lock against the Warriors and didn't look too bad. Riki has the size to play at prop, so we could see him move there and Smoothy start at lock. Or if Jensen plays we could see both Smoothy and Mozer on the bench with Smoothy used more as a backrower.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Yeah who on earth knows how we run out a team v Dragons. Just ridiculous that they and the Warriors get two freebies this season. Well in the Warriors case against us, every year.

Something like:

1. Sailor
2. Arthars
3. Mariner
4. Staggs
5. Karapani
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Taupau
9. Walters
10. Willison
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Hetherington

14. Smoothy
15. Temu
16. Oates
17. Mozer

I have no idea

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Here's one out of the box. Smoothy played a fair bit of lock against the Warriors and didn't look too bad. Riki has the size to play at prop, so we could see him move there and Smoothy start at lock. Or if Jensen plays we could see both Smoothy and Mozer on the bench with Smoothy used more as a backrower.
I can see Mozer getting a spot on the bench and using Smoothy at lock... will just depend if they want
1. Smoothy (start)->Billy->Mozer (Smoothy to lock for a short stint)
2. Billy -> Mozer -> Billy & Smoothy playing only lock

I can see Kevvie going with Option 1, but I think that could put too much fatigue into Smoothy and Mozer is likely to only get limited minutes (trying to fit 3 players into 1 position)... so it doesnt seem like great use of the bench... which is compounded by the total lack of players we will have next week.

Option 2 sounds better to me, but is a bit harsh to Smoothy who hasn't really been doing anything wrong but gets shafted to the forwards as a tackle bot. However out of the remaining top 30 players I would say Mozer is the current one sitting outside the 17 that you should be comfortable with playing decent minutes in first grade.

If Mozer is going well under Option 2 then he can play out the game and Billy could relieve Smoothy later on at lock... I kind of want to see Billy as a ball playing middle, just to see if it works. If it does then we have an option that allows Patty to come off the field.

If Jensen gets picked we will have no middles heading into this game to bring off the bench... I think Riki can definitely spend some time in the middle, but it comes down to who plays on his edge and how many minutes can we get out of them.

I would say Patston is most likely to come in?? but Oates could also be given a stint there.

I think Patston, Piakura and Oates are all more left side dominant though, so moving Riki out means someone is playing uncomfortable and impacts our kick chase. Piakura has spent time on the right for Norths, but he's yet to look comfortable defending on the left to be moving around the field. Oates debut game was on the right second row I believe (did he score a runaway try there??), so he might be able to do a stint there.

It will be a very interesting team list Tuesday for the dargs game, but no matter who is playing Kevvie needs to fully utilise all his playing 17.

Cant go into the game with all the headliners missing and then basically play 15 with one of those being a hooker off the bench. Needs to have a plan to get the most out of the players he picks

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
I can see Mozer getting a spot on the bench and using Smoothy at lock... will just depend if they want
1. Smoothy (start)->Billy->Mozer (Smoothy to lock for a short stint)
2. Billy -> Mozer -> Billy & Smoothy playing only lock

I can see Kevvie going with Option 1, but I think that could put too much fatigue into Smoothy and Mozer is likely to only get limited minutes (trying to fit 3 players into 1 position)... so it doesnt seem like great use of the bench... which is compounded by the total lack of players we will have next week.

Option 2 sounds better to me, but is a bit harsh to Smoothy who hasn't really been doing anything wrong but gets shafted to the forwards as a tackle bot. However out of the remaining top 30 players I would say Mozer is the current one sitting outside the 17 that you should be comfortable with playing decent minutes in first grade.

If Mozer is going well under Option 2 then he can play out the game and Billy could relieve Smoothy later on at lock... I kind of want to see Billy as a ball playing middle, just to see if it works. If it does then we have an option that allows Patty to come off the field.

If Jensen gets picked we will have no middles heading into this game to bring off the bench... I think Riki can definitely spend some time in the middle, but it comes down to who plays on his edge and how many minutes can we get out of them.

I would say Patston is most likely to come in?? but Oates could also be given a stint there.

I think Patston, Piakura and Oates are all more left side dominant though, so moving Riki out means someone is playing uncomfortable and impacts our kick chase. Piakura has spent time on the right for Norths, but he's yet to look comfortable defending on the left to be moving around the field. Oates debut game was on the right second row I believe (did he score a runaway try there??), so he might be able to do a stint there.

It will be a very interesting team list Tuesday for the dargs game, but no matter who is playing Kevvie needs to fully utilise all his playing 17.

Cant go into the game with all the headliners missing and then basically play 15 with one of those being a hooker off the bench. Needs to have a plan to get the most out of the players he picks
You’re probably looking at Hetherington playing that right side 2nd row position or you could even be looking at Karagapani (sp) or Oates being starting 2nd rowers.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Yeah who on earth knows how we run out a team v Dragons. Just ridiculous that they and the Warriors get two freebies this season. Well in the Warriors case against us, every year.

Something like:

1. Sailor
2. Arthars
3. Mariner
4. Staggs
5. Karapani
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Taupau
9. Walters
10. Willison
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Hetherington

14. Smoothy
15. Temu
16. Oates
17. Mozer

I have no idea
Be a nice time for Marty T to really step up......thought he had some good minutes last game.
Its his last year(?)

Give us your best Marty...we need it.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • john1420
  • kiwibronco
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Shane Tronc
  • winslow_wong
  • johnny plath
  • Stix
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bucking Beads
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Lostboy
  • Santa
  • Dexter
  • Jedhead
  • Aldo
  • Manlyman
  • sooticus
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.