NEWS The real problem with the Broncos

Its criminal really when you look at the type of quality over the last decade or so that we havent picked up on. For a club of our size and reputation, how the hell havent we picked up 1 or 2 of blokes like Thurston, Smith, Slater, Cronk and Munster and even the likes of Papalii, DCE, Milford when he was a youngster, Chambers have slipped through the cracks. When you look at it we should also have been going strong for the likes of Benji Marshall ( Keebra ), Folau ( Marsden ) Inglis ( Wavell ) who were all basically on our doorstep. Yes, we have some quality now, but a club like ours should never have missed so much talent.

Just because we're located in Brisbane doesn't mean we have the entire city to ourselves, it's the biggest myth going around. For example, the 'Melbourne' storm have so many talent scouts and shit around QLD that they may as well be a second Brisbane team.

Its criminal really when you look at the type of quality over the last decade or so that we havent picked up on. For a club of our size and reputation, how the hell havent we picked up 1 or 2 of blokes like Thurston, Smith, Slater, Cronk and Munster and even the likes of Papalii, DCE, Milford when he was a youngster, Chambers have slipped through the cracks. When you look at it we should also have been going strong for the likes of Benji Marshall ( Keebra ), Folau ( Marsden ) Inglis ( Wavell ) who were all basically on our doorstep. Yes, we have some quality now, but a club like ours should never have missed so much talent.

Won the gold in 2006 then thanks to Cullen, the club pulled stumps and it's been that way ever since. 2015 and the 2008 disaster were brief glimpses at the promised land before we slammed the door on ourselves.

Last edited:
Just because we're located in Brisbane doesn't mean we have the entire city to ourselves, it's the biggest myth going around. For example, the 'Melbourne' storm have so many talent scouts and shit around QLD that they may as well be a second Brisbane team.

We dont have the city, or state for that matter to ourselves, but at the same time, we have the resources and financial clout to have not missed out on a lot of the players i mentioned. We should have done better than we have, and we need to do better in the future.

When Wayne came back, he wanted our recruitment to improve in terms of younger player and we can see now it has started to. Haas, Carrigan, Flegler, Fifita, Staggs, are already key members of our squad. Seibs needs to ensure the club dont drop the ball again and keep it going.

didn't some of those guys only go to those school because they were on scholarships (or something similar) with other NRL clubs

With the footy pedigree that Keebra Park commands at least, I'm sure they do have to organize some sort of scholarship system to divvy out places fairly.

Last edited:
Come on Yvonne, at least try to have an independent thought.

didn't some of those guys only go to those school because they were on scholarships (or something similar) with other NRL clubs

I'm not 100% sure on it, but it would probably have been no different a situation to Haas who wasnt on our books initially. In fact, i have a feeling i am probably wrong on that one in regards to Benji, Folau and Inglis, but i dont see any reason we couldnt have chased them anyway.

When Wayne came back, he wanted our recruitment to improve in terms of younger player and we can see now it has started to. Haas, Carrigan, Flegler, Fifita, Staggs, are already key members of our squad. Seibs needs to ensure the club dont drop the ball again and keep it going.
What do you think Wayno did to improve that? He just knew better scouts, or knew where to look comparative our previous coaches/staff? I'm just musing on the idea of Seibold continuing WB's trend in terms of youth recruitment/development, what is it that he needs to continue doing, or conversely, what pitfalls does he need to avoid to ensure we don't regress on this front?

What do you think Wayno did to improve that? He just knew better scouts, or knew where to look comparative our previous coaches/staff? I'm just musing on the idea of Seibold continuing WB's trend in terms of youth recruitment/development, what is it that he needs to continue doing, or conversely, what pitfalls does he need to avoid to ensure we don't regress on this front?

It certainly helps that he still has connections and respect within the game, yes.

Not totally sure what Wayne did tbh. I know he wanted to put us in a position where we didnt lose most players we wanted or wanted to keep. We will never keep them all, but we should hopefully keep the best ones. At a guess, he could have used his contacts and just his knowledge in general. IIRC Nolan signed with us not long before we booted Hook and got Wayne back, so i'd guess that was a Bennett instigated appointment.

I think Seibs just needs to keep the pressure on the club to keep looking for the best kids.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Thelmus
  • Manlyman
  • NSW stables
  • Broncs1459
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.