Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
The secret clause Darius Boyd must trigger to extend his Broncos contract

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in a lot of ways Boyd is a good person. He has actually shown some good character this season. Hasn't thrown a tantrum when moved and obviously really doesn't care what people think about him.

I want the bloke to succeed deep down. If his form doesn't improve i hope he doed hang them up but i am glad he does have that MH role to look forward too.

If that is the case, then the road is clear. Seibold sits Boyd down in the off season and says they plan to only play him as injury coverage next year, which means he likely won't reach his 15 game threshold for next year, which forces Boyd out a year early and allows us to use his money for important retention. The club must do this.

Last edited:
Wonder why the people who made the contract just stopped at "play more than 15 games in the season?" They should've had something like - "play more than 15 games in the season with/close man of the match performance". What would we get if he just plays more than 15 games in 2020? More misery & elevated blood pressure levels???

Who in the right mind would sign Boyd@ 30 years old for 4 years @$700-$800k/season and injured Gillett@ 29 years old for 4 years @$750k a season? Whoever's making or proposing these contracts should put more thoughts into what actually should go into them. Quality and value in contract content must be looked at carefully.

Wonder why the people who made the contract just stopped at "play more than 15 games in the season?" They should've had something like - "play more than 15 games in the season with/close man of the match performance". What would we get if he just plays more than 15 games in 2020? More misery & elevated blood pressure levels???

Because in contracts, the conditions need to be measurable ... Not subjective.

If that is the case, then the road is clear. Seibold sits Boyd down in the off season and says they plan to only play him as injury coverage next year, which means he likely won't reach his 15 game threshold for next year, which forces Boyd out a year early and allows us to use his money for important retention. The club must do this.

Depends whether or not the talk of the board restricting seibolds control is true though.

Because in contracts, the conditions need to be measurable ... Not subjective.

Well, how do you measure Boyd's performance? Simply turning up for 15 games next year? I am talking about performance based bonus/benefits that regular people like you and I fall under. Don't they apply to NRL players? Can't they put into player's contracts? I reckon they can.

Well, how do you measure Boyd's performance? Simply turning up for 15 games next year? I am talking about performance based bonus/benefits that regular people like you and I fall under. Don't they apply to NRL players? Can't they put into player's contracts? I reckon they can.

KPI's can't be and aren't subjective.

People have KPI's in their contracts based on clear and measurable targets that are not subject to opinion or undefined qualitites.

That's why KPI's are things like 'Make $xxx in sales' or 'budget reductions of $xxx' not 'Make $xxx in sales and be the client's favourite person'.

Who in the right mind would sign Boyd@ 30 years old for 4 years @$700-$800k/season and injured Gillett@ 29 years old for 4 years @$750k a season? Whoever's making or proposing these contracts should put more thoughts into what actually should go into them. Quality and value in contract content must be looked at carefully.

He's at Souths now.

Last edited:

Because when they were signed they were both rep players. Who's to say both don't go before their contracts are up , and no one knows the full details to these deals. Gillo's could be the same, which if he has a year like he's had wouldn't be close to 15 games.

Bottom line is, irrespective of Boyd & Gillet being rep players, offering 4 year big money contract extensions when they were nearing 30 years doesn’t bode with me. Perhaps, I am not the one who made those decisions hence I don’t understand the thought process. However, if I were one, I wouldn’t offer those long contracts. I would offer a 2 year extensions only & completely rule out player option garbage.

As a Bronco loyal, I don’t want/like Boyd playing on for 2 more years.

Bottom line is, irrespective of Boyd & Gillet being rep players, offering 4 year big money contract extensions when they were nearing 30 years doesn’t bode with me. Perhaps, I am not the one who made those decisions hence I don’t understand the thought process. However, if I were one, I wouldn’t offer those long contracts. I would offer a 2 year extensions only & completely rule out player option garbage.

As a Bronco loyal, I don’t want/like Boyd playing on for 2 more years.
Well I'd say it's more 3 with 1 yr that could go either way . Most contracts these days have player options it's how it is. Gillette's could well have one that favors the club, especially with his injury.

Unless it's Darius Boyd retires\dropped\fired in scandal then I don't want to know about. I'm over all the media he has gotten for the last week or so. Just pull the trigger already.

If the clause just so happens to exist, id like to know if the 15 games pertains to just first grade or whether he has to play 15 games in total including qcup

People can believe whatever they like, but I don't think Badel is privy to any Broncos players contracts.
Ah yes, but is he in fact privy to someone who is privy to the Broncos players contracts??

Depends whether or not the talk of the board restricting seibolds control is true though.
I think it's a total crock. Boyd has repeatedly stated that Seibs is happy with him and he most certainly would not make that claim if the board was 'directing' Seibold to select him.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Lurker
  • Broncorob
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.