The silence is deafening.

I think the biggest need for the club is to go out and get the best defensive coach on the market... this isn't new with Seibold and it's ridiculous that it hasn't been addressed for years now

Our defence has been shit for what seems forever and doesn't seem to be a priority for youth competitions (if the under 20's was anything to go by)... so the youth first approach that we're going with seems to be bringing in guys not equipped to defend at NRL level and whatever system we have at the moment is not suitable for NRL level either.
Our defence has been built on the back of effort and players buying in, getting each other's backs and never giving up. Although a better defensive coach might help a bit we're going to see more of the same until ww change the culture - we'll keep doing ok when things are going well but when the tide turns the players just turn to custard.

Our defence has been built on the back of effort and players buying in, getting each other's backs and never giving up. Although a better defensive coach might help a bit we're going to see more of the same until ww change the culture - we'll keep doing ok when things are going well but when the tide turns the players just turn to custard.
We have no culture anymore ... it died in 2008 when the under 20's were ushered in.

So if we're having to start from scratch culture wise then building one off the back of a hard nosed defensive line would be a good start

We have no culture anymore ... it died in 2008 when the under 20's were ushered in.

So if we're having to start from scratch culture wise then building one off the back of a hard nosed defensive line would be a good start
I think it truly died when hodgo retired

ive finally got some perspective now...didnt have it at 3am the other night..

We are, after all, only talking about 3 games aren't we?...2 nrl games and one finals appearance right..?

We are not Newcastle of a few years ago.....who put this level of effort in FOR YEARS...!

I dont recall too much coming from their media during those years do you..?

BUT....what they have done is identify the need to build a roster around a spine, so they went to market (Ponga, Brailey & Pearce) and the younger guys who weren't mentally crushed from years of losing football (Watson, Mann).

Now, not a World class spine but.....I feel they have done a decent job of building something

Times like these will tell you ample about the character of guys here. We are going to have further bad losses this season...the reasons dont matter, we just will.....and you know it...

So, we have tried to do our own version of that, Bird getting injured was just plain bad luck, but here it is (Issako, Croft, Milf & Turps)

Not a World class spine but.....its what we have....lets stick with it all year, maybe it clicks, maybe it doesn't, but the future of the club going forward demands we find out...

With respect mate comparing us to Newcastle and saying we aren't at that level is exactly the way a club becomes entrenched in mediocrity.
Better to compare ourselves to chooks and try and get even better than their club.

Seeing as Newcastle was mentioned, what did they do about it.
Bought experienced rep forwards to teach their younger guys about being a professional.

We are producing talent, we need some tough hardened pros in amongst them and we are just desperate for a true leader of men who can lead by example.

Wasn't Michael Maguire available and keen to coach when we went after Seibold? Gee that looks like a monumental **** up now doesn't it. He's exactly what this young group needs, a hardened leader who will whip them into shape.

Yep. Should’ve got him alright.

Getting in Teo is a step in the right direction for leadership and experience. Let’s be fair to Siebs, he does seem to be identifying the issues and trying to do something about it but he needs to replace the other experience in the squad.

If you can’t get rid of Bird next year, just hope he stays on the field and isn’t a shell of his former self. At least Boyd will finally be gone but try and get some other player with experience in, even if depth. Opacic is a great option.

Just see who might suddenly become available in the off season, you never know.

Getting in Teo is a step in the right direction for leadership and experience. Let’s be fair to Siebs, he does seem to be identifying the issues and trying to do something about it but he needs to replace the other experience in the squad.

If you can’t get rid of Bird next year, just hope he stays on the field and isn’t a shell of his former self. At least Boyd will finally be gone but try and get some other player with experience in, even if depth. Opacic is a great option.

Just see who might suddenly become available in the off season, you never know.
Off contract or leaving next year
Boyd - retiring (thank ****!!)
Fifita - off contract but hoping to sign for $700k-$800k
Kahu - I think we may offer him a minimum contract as depth across the backline. Otherwise he'll move on (not sure who to though)
Herbie - looks a priority signing for us
Kennar - may be retained on minimum, but his spot could be taken up by Niu coming into the 30
Kennedy - I think we should look to retain on minimum or near enough... unless the NRL intend to keep the game how it is, at which point we could look for a more mobile middle forward (Bullemor will likely come into the top 30, but we need experience so I expect Kennedy to be retained unless he wants to move on himself)
Sean O'Sullivan - have a feeling he may move on as he's a NSW men, but he's on pretty low money anyway
Teo - up to him really. I think broncs would want to retain but they'd be looking for a low salary deal... Teo is happy to move around so he could get a decent deal elsewhere
Hopoate - thinking they may retain on minimum contract as depth
Perese - apparently still in our top 30, but is moving on anyway... only on minimum contract
Vudogo - think he'll be retained on minimum contract

Development players
Niu - think he'll be brought into the top 30
Bullemor - has a player option but I think they will look to upgrade and bring into top 30
Gamble - could come in as a SOS replacement if he moves on.
Hetherington - can they retain on another development deal??
Riki - has a development contract for next year so I think they will want to keep him on that deal instead of bringing into the top 30 .. as they need that spot for experience
Pride Petterson-Robati - off contract have no idea about him other than he's a center

So that's 11 off contract in the top 30 and I've got 5 leaving (Boyd, Kennar, SOS, Teo (not by choice) and Perese) and 6 being re-signed (Fifi, Kahu (min), Herbie, Kennedy, Hoppa, Vudogo).

So basically 5 top 30 spots to fill... I think Niu and Bullemor come in. Teo would be nice, maybe Gamble for SOS (still got Dearden and Paix who could be the back ups)... and Macca probably comes back for a year

Basically we dont really have a lot of room to move even next year... and the only real players who might want to leave early are Bird, Macca, Offa, Oates and Milf, otherwise it's not till 2022 that we'll have some breathing room to bring in some experienced veterans or lose some of the young guys. Except the young guys currently aren't taking up a lot of cap space so we won't get any decent veterans if we let them loose.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Redux
  • Skathen
  • Broncs1459
  • Allo
  • Mustafur
  • Santa
  • cento
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.